Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (7/31/2013 2:59:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

It's an old, common word. I often ran across it in criticism by 18th-centruy writers of contemporary poets. Sounds to me like you should take a lit course at a nearby college. In fact, I recommend anyone who wants to write poetry should take lit courses before he/she puts pen to paper. Ignorance is NOT a poetic virtue.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Kensley Charlemagne (8/4/2013 11:46:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I really appreciate the wisdom of a retired grey-head professor with over 30 years of experience under his belt. I do however take objection to some of your comments. You probably are well placed to take a look at some of the poems that I have posted and provide some critical feedback. I am really not here for the flattering compliments. I believe that to be called a poet is a scared entitlement but these days anyone who writes four line wants to be known as a poet. I do not agree with you that anyone wanting to write poetry should first take a lit course. While poetry writing is a craft you do not have to study it to have it. Poetry is a field of study (and many other disciplines) only because we have taken and broken down what was a natural oral art into what we now consider its constituent parts. Piaget in the field of educational phycology, because he was not methodologically trained in the " acceptable" processes of his time got much fight down. Today his work on cognitive learning is among the most respected. So do take the time to read a piece or two of mine. Critical feedback welcomed. That was the intended effect I was looking to solicit from the line 'Some time I wonder if I am a poetaster'. I am in no way knowing down taking college courses.

[Hata Bildir]