Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Kensley Charlemagne Saint Lucia (7/31/2013 8:58:00 AM)

Has anyone encountered the word " poetaster" before. it's a new word that came into my vocabulary a few weeks ago. I was sought of shocked to encounter the word so it really stuck in my mind. Sometimes I wonder if I am a poetaster.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter (8/6/2013 3:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

K, I read your poems. They're not very good, mildly awkward and too old-fashioned. You need to understand the old educational axiom, nothing coming in, nothing going out. If you don't widen and deepen your involvement with poetry (not necessarily a lit course or a college poetry writing course but at least start reading lots of good contemporary poets- not the many wannabes on this site! ! ! - they'll guide and inspire you) , you won't improve. I can guarantee that!

• Kensley Charlemagne (8/7/2013 2:53:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks JC. I really appreciate that. Who are some poets that you would recommend, and not just Americans. What are your thoughts of Ben Okri?" Mildly awkward" in meter, in structure, in word ... more

• Jefferson Carter (7/31/2013 2:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's an old, common word. I often ran across it in criticism by 18th-centruy writers of contemporary poets. Sounds to me like you should take a lit course at a nearby college. In fact, I recommend anyone who wants to write poetry should take lit courses before he/she puts pen to paper. Ignorance is NOT a poetic virtue.

• Kensley Charlemagne (8/4/2013 11:46:00 PM) Post reply

I really appreciate the wisdom of a retired grey-head professor with over 30 years of experience under his belt. I do however take objection to some of your comments. You probably are well placed to t ... more

[Hata Bildir]