Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (7/29/2013 9:03:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

All good advice for Branden. But I would say that every poet is echoing other poets. The thing is to echo GOOD poets. -LP

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Lamont Palmer (7/29/2013 4:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

If a poet is echoing no one, he's writing terrible poetry. The greatest of the modernists spawned countless FAMOUS imitators (WCW alone heavily influenced a generation) and continue to do so to this day. This thing of writing in your 'own voice' is mostly nonsense. Perhaps you can find your own unique content, but strong poets are always writing with another strong poet hovering over. Most of the poetry I find to be amateurish is expressly because the poet has NOT been influenced by any single strong poet. Eliot was echoing LaForgue, Frost was echoing Wordsworth, WCW was echoing the French free versers, Crane was echoing Marlowe, Ginsberg was echoing Whitman, Merrill and many others were echoing Auden - need I go on?Its just that simple. No poet writes in a creative vacuum. I'm stunned you think so, frankly. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • Lamont Palmer (7/30/2013 3:48:00 PM) Post reply Stage

'A poet can be entirely original when he is closest to his models.' - T.S. Eliot

• Mary Morstan (7/29/2013 6:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I responded to this already, but it didn't appear - apologies if I am answering twice, in slightly different ways. There are many creative poets who look to other art forms for inspiration - music, f ... more

• Mary Morstan (7/29/2013 10:44:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Disagree. It's like telling students it's no good trying to write something new about established fiction writers, as it's all been said before: not the case; a creative mind will find new things to say and new ways of saying it - there's no challenge otherwise. With regard to poetry, I know (good) poets who take their influences from elsewhere... Critics may find similarities, but they're/we're always searching for comparisons, and arguments are easily formed and swallowed.

[Hata Bildir]