Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Branden Aeling Female, 23, United States (7/28/2013 2:32:00 PM)

Something ive been thinking about is free form poetry. It's amazing to see some of the ways poetry can be written, but what worries me is that free form breaks off too much. Can any words put together, with or without rhymes, and be constituted as poetry?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Deborah Cromer (7/29/2013 9:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Rhymes and words that sound alike, must always connect and keep the work going as a whole. Getting the words to rhyme is one thing, but forming a piece to read clear and still have body to it is not so easy. I haven't found anyone who can rhyme like me yet. Still searching... My poetry is unmatched still, so far. Out-rhyming me is welcomed! I wrote as a youth, and now I'm old...Haven't written forever. Someday maybe?I have aquired so many more words to create poems with! Rhyme Time...

• Lamont Palmer (7/30/2013 4:11:00 PM) Post reply

Almost reminds me of some of Merrill's plainer, more accessible work. A good example of rhyme, where the effect doesn't drown the poem or give it an overly lilting sound; the more subtle meter (free v ... more

• Mary Morstan (7/30/2013 3:46:00 PM) Post reply

I'd say you might have competition.... The Modern Pastoral Elegy BY CONOR O'CALLAGHAN A Tick-Where-Appropriate Template It begins with unspecified “you” and “we” raising fists of defia ... more

• Lamont Palmer (7/30/2013 3:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Rhyme (certainly end rhyme) is such an unimportant and anachronistic element in contemporary poetry, that boasting of how no one can' rhyme like you', sounds almost like a joke; sort of like saying n ... more

• Lamont Palmer (7/29/2013 9:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

All good advice for Branden. But I would say that every poet is echoing other poets. The thing is to echo GOOD poets. -LP

• Lamont Palmer (7/29/2013 4:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

If a poet is echoing no one, he's writing terrible poetry. The greatest of the modernists spawned countless FAMOUS imitators (WCW alone heavily influenced a generation) and continue to do so to this ... more

• Mary Morstan (7/29/2013 10:44:00 AM) Post reply

Disagree. It's like telling students it's no good trying to write something new about established fiction writers, as it's all been said before: not the case; a creative mind will find new things to s ... more

• Mary Morstan (7/29/2013 7:16:00 AM) Post reply

If you want to rhyme, it's fine - some European poets still use rhyme, but in playful and clever ways. Check out Paul Muldoon or David Wheatley, for example. Don't be afraid of breaking free - you'll never write well (or live well) until you break free. Learn the rules, then break then...and if you come back to the rules, subvert them. Read very widely, then find your own style - don't simply echo other poets.

• Lamont Palmer (7/28/2013 8:22:00 PM) Post reply

Branden, there is a way to write technically 'free verse' but still maintain a sense of rhythm and cadence in your work. As Eliot said. no verse is truly free for the poet who wants to do a good job. Yes, I would dispense with rhyme, as its no longer an important or necessary element in todays poetry. Put your focus on concision, tightness in your lines and inventive word choices and content. Not paying attention to the techniques used to create music, will result in flat, prosaic verse. It must be said that, despite the dominance of free verse for the last 40 years, cadenced, metered work is still considered the most enduring poetry, as evidenced by the fact that Robert Creeley will never be considered a greater poet than Robert Lowell, or Hass more fine than Heaney. Is it all poetry, however?Yes. But never stop debating among your peers or in your own head what constitutes strong work. For that argument will never truly be over. Happy writing! -LP

• Jefferson Carter (7/28/2013 3:26:00 PM) Post reply

Branden, why worry? The " controversy" between free verse and formal verse has been over for 50 years. Free verse WON! The only people writing formal verse today are a few so-called New Formalists, whom nobody cares much about, and the millions of amateur writers one reads on sites like this. If you REALLY care about the questions you're raising, read Charles Hartman's book " Essay on Free Verse." He discusses the numerous poetic devices available to free verse poets, focusing on line breaks. For me, writing good formal verse is just too damn difficult to do well and too easy to do badly.

[Hata Bildir]