Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

A Michaelle Yarbrough Female, 50, United States (7/27/2013 5:34:00 PM)

I have been on the site a couple of days now. I hope that you read my poems and enjoy them. Thank you

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 592 Points Jefferson Carter (7/28/2013 11:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

A Michaelle, I've never understood why poetry is the one art form people undertake without any training or study, as if ignorance is a poetic virtue. From your poems, I gather you don't read poetry, and if you do, you read only your amateur contemporaries' work or bad poetry published before 1950. Your poems are pretty horrible. You don't know how meter works, how to rhyme gracefully, how to express your thought/feelings fluently. STOP WRITING! ! Immerse yourself in good contemporary poetry, read books like Paul Fussell's " Poetic Form and Poetic Meter, " and take a poetry writing class at a nearby college. Do all these things if you're truly interested in becoming a better poet instead of posing as one.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 592 Points A Michaelle Yarbrough (7/30/2013 9:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello Mr. Carter, I am not sure if you are just being mean. I don't know if you read my poetry or not because there is no comments from you. I am willing to take constructive criticism if you are ... more

[Hata Bildir]