Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (7/4/2013 10:46:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Lamont, I'm jumping back out of the on-going (pointless) thread about the difference between prose and poetry and just saying this here: your comment about Joyce's " poetic prose" is right on! No matter how " poetic" (a perfectly legitimate though slippery term) the writing is, it's STILL prose! ! ! Why? Because it's organized by paragraphs! My argument is against using the term " poetry" to mean writing of the highest order, implying, as you do, prose means writing of a lesser order, reserved for exposition and the more mundane tasks. Open your mind, considr what you're really saying and let the sunshine in....

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Lamont Palmer (7/4/2013 1:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm sure Stevens and WCW never fully agreed on these issues either. And certainly not Buk and Merrill. And I suppose neither will we, since we've been going at it from 2005. In the end, the work speaks for itself. Keats died thinking he was an utter failure. And I bet Kilmer died thinking he was a genius. My, how things can change. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • Mary Morstan (7/4/2013 4:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

But, with all due respect (and I know what you're trying to say) , Jefferson's right: poems are written in lines/verses while prose uses the sentence (if that wasn't the case, FW would be taught as po ... more

[Hata Bildir]