Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (7/3/2013 7:43:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Lamont, I really like these sections. The strange syntax and GREAT diction really energize the experience, " plebeian bullet-head, " " crinkled toy tin hat" —truly original phrasings. I do love these lines, their tonal shifts, just beautiful. WHAT I'd like you to do is STOP declaring " this can't be prose because of the unusual syntax." Don't you get tired of your own mulishness? I do. If these words were arranged in paragraphs, they'd be PROSE! ! ! ! Really original prose, with fresh syntax, but prose nevertheless. Of course, it would lose the advantages of line breaks and line rhythms, so it would be dumb to re-write as prose.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 774 Points Lamont Palmer (7/3/2013 8:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Your contention that the only distinction between poetry and prose is merely how its laid out on the page is utterly ridiculous. No one would write an essay or a novel using that syntactical arrangement - its much more inventive and allusive than prose needs to be. That's what makes it poetry. However I'm happy you liked it (he's one of the true living greats) though its only a portion. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 774 Points Lamont Palmer (7/4/2013 7:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

You're right buddy. You know me well, as I know you. Yes, Joyce's 'prose' is actually poetry and is quite the exception. Also the 'prose' of Woolf falls into that category. Even some of Faulkner's wor ... more

• Rookie - 774 Points Mary Morstan (7/4/2013 7:00:00 AM) Post reply

Not from Ulysses, but: " for she was the only girl they loved, as she is the queenly pearl you prize, because of the way the night that first we met she is bound to be, methinks, and not in v ... more

• Rookie - 774 Points Jefferson Carter (7/3/2013 9:47:00 PM) Post reply

Of course someone could write a novel using Hill's syntactical " arrangement, " something even more inventive, like " Ulysses." But then, Lamont, you probably think Joyce's master ... more

[Hata Bildir]