Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (6/26/2013 4:59:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

What you dislike about this poem is that its poetry. Everything can't be flat, little anecdotes, or the craft would die completely. -LP

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter (6/26/2013 11:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Monty, arguing with you about poetry is like bashing my head against a concrete wall. Anything organized by lines and stanzas is poetry (can't we even agree on that?) What you mean by " poetic" in Logan's attempt is, as far as I can tell, the stuffiness of big words, solemn tone, and derivative phrasing. I'm not sure what you mean by anecdotes or what you have against them; why are compressed' partial stories unpoetic?I do understand your distaste for " flat" language, meaning the plain style, but many fine poems have been crafted using it. A poem doesn't have to incorporate " big" words to be profound OR flowery iambic phrases to be musical. I'm guessing from reading your poetry and your statements about poetry, you assume poetry MUST be about SOLEMN issues, you know, death, Wallace Stevens, etc., or you won't respect it. That's probably a result of your lack of a sense of humor. If only, as I've suggested over and over and over, you'd read Charles Hartman's " Essay on Free Verse, " you'd admit that the plain style has its own demands for craft and craftiness. Ouch. I'm off to re-bandage my poor abused head.

Replies for this message:
    • Lamont Palmer (6/26/2013 1:22:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Take a Tylenol for that prosaic little noggin of yours. :) -LP

• Lamont Palmer (6/26/2013 1:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

If I broke up this comment by you into lines, it would NOT be poetry. The fact that you don't understand that is very strange. -LP

[Hata Bildir]