Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Herbert Nehrlich1 Male, 70, Australia (10/15/2005 7:47:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Personally, I think you are dead wrong.Judging by the standards you appear to espouse where would you place most or all of your poems? In front of some imaginary class as examples of how to be modern and poetically correct?
And what about those students who would 'fight back', disagreeing with you?
The soul of this poet is showing like an undergarment slip and that's why it broke so many hearts, how can you knock this poem I ask myself.
But then again, Lada Niva drivers do knock Volkswagens.
Best
H

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• John Kay (10/16/2005 3:44:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Herbert...Students always fight back until they come to understand that this is not simply about the self-expression of feelings, that for 'artists' using the medium of words there are standards, rigorus demands that apply. People can read and claim to enjoy whatever they want, but writers, must always hope to 'make it new, ' adding something other than more time-worn cliches. As for my poems. I hold myself responsible for 'making it new.' If you want to read a love poem that isn't cliched, read either 'Love Poem' or 'A Symphony of Hands.'

[Hata Bildir]