Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

John Kay Male, 67, Germany (10/15/2005 4:28:00 PM)

'A Lover's Envy' is a hideous poem of the highest order. I agree with Jefferson. I would hope that this shallow, unoriginal, undeserving, cliche choked, sentimental, stale joke of a poem never be thought of as a model or valued in any way. Was this poem reading material recently printed on the backside of a box of hamburger helper, for god's sake. Frankly, I can't believe that we are talking about this poem 150 years after it broke so many hearts. It is nothing short of the enemy of this art form. For years I fought with students who felt that 'anything' anyone wrote was sacred and shouldn't be criticized, that the standards of good poetry writing were all a matter of opinion, and their opinions were as good as anyone elses. I might actually use a poem like this as an example of exactly what not to do if you want to write a good poem. I'm surprised that this one didn't find its feet in cement at the bottom of the Hudson.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 23 Points Poetry Hound (10/15/2005 10:57:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Words of wisdom, John. You hit the bulls eye. Regards.

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 7:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Personally, I think you are dead wrong.Judging by the standards you appear to espouse where would you place most or all of your poems? In front of some imaginary class as examples of how to be modern and poetically correct?
    And what about those students who would 'fight back', disagreeing with you?
    The soul of this poet is showing like an undergarment slip and that's why it broke so many hearts, how can you knock this poem I ask myself.
    But then again, Lada Niva drivers do knock Volkswagens.
    Best
    H

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie John Kay (10/16/2005 3:44:00 AM) Post reply

Herbert...Students always fight back until they come to understand that this is not simply about the self-expression of feelings, that for 'artists' using the medium of words there are standards, rigo ... more

[Hata Bildir]