Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Ann Spencer Female, 62, United Kingdom (8/14/2005 2:23:00 PM)

Is this Forum where we come for criticism? If it is please can somebody comment on my poem 'Fantasia For Francis'?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Max Reif (8/14/2005 3:30:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Dear Ann,
    I read your poem twice. The second time I felt I was starting to get my bearings. I think it IS a satire on Disney & co's need to romantacize everything. St. Francis' life is perhaps one of the hardest things/lives to romantacize, it was so brasstacks/barebones (as you also describe it) , so the Snow-Whitish scene of the doves and the fairytale frog come off as especially ridiculous.
    In this reading, I wasn't sure why the narrator said, 'This is a travesty'...whether he is being satirized too.
    I read your poem with interest, and I feel I got something out of it, though I don't know yet if what I feel I got out is what you feel you put in.
    The movie stage directions work, and they are an acceptable form for the poem, I think, given that it is about the real life of St. Francis and a possible, absurd cinematic treatment of that life.
    I've seen 'Brother Sun, Sister Moon' maybe 5 times in my life. It's somewhat romantacized, no doubt, but still very inspiring. I don't know if 'the public' would ever go to see, for example, Kazantzakis' St. Francis, the St. Francis who describes 'perfect joy' as being beaten with sticks and left in the snow to freeze-perfect joy because he's suffering for Christ.

[Hata Bildir]