Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) Male, 71, United States (8/14/2005 11:33:00 AM)

Maty, I just read your poem 'Justice.' To use Michael's tactful term, its quite unsuccessful. Its ungraceful, sounds murky, and the whole metaphorical structure does little more than over-complicate a simple idea. AND your spelling is really bad, so bad it makes it hard to even begin the poem. Dont worry about copyrighting your poems, you should worry about mastering the basics of a successful poem first. Read some good contemporary poets NOW! Id suggest someone like Billy Collins, who is graceful, deceptively simple on the surface, but complex underneath. Good luck. Snob

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Lamont Palmer (8/15/2005 1:12:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Snob, I can assure you, I am no one other than Lamont Palmer. My ego would not allow me to masquerade as someone else; not even for laughs.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/14/2005 6:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I struggled through the poem Justice (some of the spelling must have been fixed) and see a real possibility to turn this into a great poem. I think the author lost track of his thoughts somewhere in the beginning and could not rein them in again.
    However, Snob's critique is really uncalled for, it's reminiscent of a spinster telling a young mother how to raise her children.
    Don't let this discourage you Maty, I think you just need to take smaller bites in the beginning. Reading the poetry of others may help but don't expect too much from that. Practicing the writing of poems is what will make you a better poet.
    Best,
    Herbert

[Hata Bildir]