Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Max Reif Male, 66, United States (7/15/2005 11:19:00 PM)

(note: I have found the courage to re-post this 'reply' where it will really be seen!)

I would add the caveat that I don't apply the same standards to every poet. I mean, I can be awed by something and feel every word is perfectly chosen and placed to create an almost miraculous effect, but I don't hold every person who picks up a pen to that kind of standard. If a young or beginning poet expresses something that moves me, I can appreciate it without insisting it be as perfectly crafted as Yeats. I have more grades than 'A' and 'F'.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/16/2005 12:59:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Max, my previous (somewhat covert) comment has followed you in the open,
    see below:
    Max, you have your brain substance in perfect order and all the glial cells appear very efficient.
    As to judging poems, it is still a very individual thing and I believe it often matters whether one knows who the poet is. Show me a car with a Mercedes star on it and the seller has won half the battle. Another matter is who judges and it is, sadly, often those who apply certain arbitrary standards and rules and regulations that someone dreamed up in addition to being unable to write acceptable poetry themselves.
    As to Tiffany Etter, I love her poetry and I love her soul bared to me (I think) through her work. For someone to call her work mediocre it should be emphasised that it is just a (very subjective) personal opinion.
    Yes I take the author's age etc. in consideration but I prefer to read poems where I don't know the author.
    H

[Hata Bildir]