Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Andrew Konisberg Male, 50, France (7/1/2005 11:30:00 AM)

I would like to make a lengthy apology to the member Herbert Nehrlich who, time has proven, was innocent of sending me atrocious e-mails upon the subject of Berger Belsen. I have posted a lengthy apology in the reply section of this message, rather than take up an entire page on the forum. Thus, anybody who does not wish to read it, is not forced to. I say this, because I am making a posting that has nothing to do with poetry, but is entirely necessary in terms of justice being done and Herbert being vindicated as regards this matter. I know there are private disputes regarding other members, but I do not wish to be involved in 'side-taking', I wish to offer a sincere and adult apology as regards my own problem with Herbert. I am not condoning any other ongoing dispute, but merely commenting on my own dispute with Herbert. Thank you.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• ***** ***** (7/1/2005 8:14:00 PM) Post reply

This very public display of courage and compassion makes me feel very proud. This site has been a wonderful source of joy in the past and it is obviously moving in that direction again. Well done to all who have the guts to move to a better place. None of us belong in the gutter (looking at stars or not) .. Sxx

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/1/2005 5:32:00 PM) Post reply

I have left a reply in the same section. Thank you Andrew.
    H

• Andrew Konisberg (7/1/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

My posting has nothing to do with Collette's comments below, But I would like to take this opportunity to say something. Long-time members will know that the Poemhunter relationship between myself and Herbert Nehrlich has been acrimonious, to put it mildly. Initially, and in the days before Collette, our dispute was a classic case of 'chatroom flaming' whereby people who don't know eachother trade insults...I am aware that there may have been a bit of antagonism on both sides, but I never regarded the matter as serious. However, the matter became serious and very hostile when I received 3 e-mails that attacked the Jewish race in the most evil and juvenile manner that could have been dreamt up. One of these e-mails purported to be from 'Herbert Nehrlich' and the other two from 'Captain Envy' (I kid you not) . Needless to say, such was the level of filth contained within one of these e-mails in particular, my ire was raised and I made it known to the forum as to my contempt for the attitude of Herbert. I also sent these messages to management 24 hours before a rather public spat with Herbert which resulted in his writing the poem 'Jews'. For me, Herbert's authorship of the poem 'Jews' seemed to confirm his authorship of the 3 e-mails that I had received. However, I contacted a friend of mine to try and trace the source of these e-mails because Herbert was categoric in his denial of writing them, which baffled me, and I did not take kindly to being called a liar. This is only an internet chatroom, but I believe some comments are too perverted and serious to ignore; 'flaming' is one thing, and a bit of fun or personal insults are to be expected, but comments concerning necrophilia and members of Belsen are NEVER acceptable to my mind. The upshot of several weeks of investigation, has proven that there were flaws in the Poemhunter log-on process and failings in other areas as well, making it possible for one member to pose as another if they followed a certain procedure. A simple way of getting people to understand such a thing was possible is the 'My Friends' list. Formerly, one could bypass being on another member's 'BANNED' list and still send them a message. The way one would do this, as a few members worked out, is to put another member on one's own 'My friends' list. For some time, this action would over-ride being on another members 'banned' list.

Unfortunately, there were technical glitches in other areas as well. I was formerly unaware of them as I believe most people are/were. These 'loopholes' have now been tightened up and such corruption of the system is no longer so easily possible. I am glad to report that a lengthy investigation as to who sent me evil e-mails has revealed that Herbert Nehrlich was NOT the author of them. These e-mails were written by the member(s) who used the name 'Erwin Baxter' and I have been informed that some action upon the matter of this member's Ip address (independent of anyone involved with Poemhunter management, I hasten to add) has been taken. Never-the-less, all it would take is a new IP address for 'Erwin Baxter' to return to the site. However, we now are blessed with the presence of Collette as regards forum contributions and poem commentary. AND I can assure the people responsible for 'Erwin Baxter' that if they attempt any future nonsense that the matter will be resolved independently of Poemhunter, if again necessary.

And so, I am prepared to publicly apologise to Herbert, now the truth has come to light, for what transpired to be (unbeknownst to me for some time) a false accusation that he sent me 3 e-mails concerning Berger Belsen and necrophilia. I am sorry for any distress caused by this incorrect assertion. Herbert and I have exchanged private e-mails to attempt to sort this matter out and privately Herbert has accepted my apology for an inadvertent mistake on my part. I vowed to place a public apology on the forum, as I believe 'Erwin Baxter' caused unnecessary trouble upon this site which nearly resulted in bringing the site to its knees. Suffice to say, I have nothing but contempt for the people responsible for 'Erwin Baxter'. The only positive aspects of the actions of 'Erwin Baxter' are that Poemhunter has been forced to tighten up its security loopholes, and such flagrant abuses of the system should no longer be possible.
    I offer Herbert the hand of reconciliation and I offer the opportunity that we may read and comment upon eachother's poems constructively. Herbert and I have both offered to end our feud in private e-mails of the last 24 hours. I will not get involved in the disputes between Herbert and other members because I can only deal with my own situation, in fairness. Besides, I have commented upon unfounded statements made against Michael Sheperd and others previously. So Herbert, I offer a complete apology for believing you were the author of 3 despicable e-mails and being, as I have recently discovered, incorrect in my belief. You have been vindicated, Herbert. I am only sorry that 'Erwin Baxter' chose to cause such chaos and acrimony on this site. And I offer that all my future dealings with you will be cordial and constructive, in lieu of the fact that a third-party was responsible for 99% of the trouble. Our previous disputes (prior to the Belsen e-mails) , I feel, had been a case of strong-wills and an enjoyment of a good row. But now, we have the opportunity to make this site a more pleasurable place for both of us.

all the best, Andrew.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/1/2005 5:17:00 PM) Post reply

I like a man who stands up to be counted because he is one who can be counted upon. Perhaps not the most elegant English but the truth nonetheless. Andrew I have long suspected that there was a dece ... more

• Richard George (7/1/2005 2:18:00 PM) Post reply

I think Archbishop Desmond Tutu may have the last word: 'It is large-hearted and courageous people who are able to say 'Sorry'.'

[Hata Bildir]