Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) Male, 71, United States (6/29/2005 4:25:00 PM)

Hi, Im new to this cite. Ive got some questions. Would anybody comment on poems I just posted? They were rejected by Bellingham Review, a town above Seattle.
Id like to know members thoughts cause I dont know why the poems werent excepted. Also please forgive my spelling, I have a learning disability and some times dont see my mistakes. My daughter corrects the poems tho she wont help with emails. Also is this cite a dating service? Ive noticed the mating dance bewteen certain members, it makes me nervous, I dont wnat to be stalked! ! ! Thanx PS

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Eric Paul Shaffer (7/4/2005 5:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Poetry Snob-I read your two poems. I liked 'Market Forces' most because of the voice. Your choice of using simple sentences and vocabulary is a good one, and I think this poem would read well aloud. The sense of humor also makes the poem stand out. As for rejection, from Bellingham Review or whoever, don't take it personally because it's not personal. I'll bet BR receives thousands of submissions every year, and they probably only glance at the contents of most of them. If you believe in your work, keep sending it out to the magazines that print poems you admire. Good luck.

• Poetry Hound (6/29/2005 8:35:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I like your refreshing and direct poetic style. Post more poems. I agree with Andrew that they could be longer. And don't worry about the so-called 'mating dance.' It's just sad and desperate flailing. Oh, and please consider changing the first name of your handle so folks don't get us confused. Merci.

• Lamont Palmer (6/29/2005 7:08:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Shelley said 'the poet's food is love and fame.' I, for one, fully subscribe, and live by that sentiment, for better or worse.

[Hata Bildir]