Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

***** ***** Female, 14, United States (4/15/2005 8:53:00 AM)

Ah, the VAST difference between prose and poetry. I am trying to embrace the former, but find that the latter just dizzies it up - complicates it, purples it. No matter how much I try to tone down the language I use for prose and for dialogue, the poetic instinct just dogs it and I find I have used too many adjectives, too many colours, too many descriptive references. Is there any exercise to dilute one's writing such that prose doesn't sound like one long complex poem. A poem full of too much metaphor and hidden meaning for a reader to possibly take in without reading it over and over.. Has this message even been clear, I wonder, or have I tried to be poetic with this too...

(huff) a writer's insecurity is never done... Sx

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (4/15/2005 9:19:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I find as a journalist that the PC's word-count is a wonderful tool. Write it as it comes; leave it a day or overnight; take 3/4 of the word-count, say, as your ultimate total; and cut down. After the first self-inflicted bleeding, it can actually become rather fun. And certainly instructive.
    One other trick which journalists have to learn or else, is never a sentence longer than XX words. after a day or two, it becomes to become a gentle curb on those irresistible metaphorical sub-clauses!

[Hata Bildir]