Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lenchen Elf Female, 53, United Kingdom (4/8/2005 12:07:00 PM)

I find the whole concept of language removed from its context of accompanying non-verbal comm. to a medium such as this quite fascinating. So many strategies of accompanying written conversations with tempering visual cues such as garish, but sometimes all too necessary emoticons have developed to acommodate a whole sub division of language specifically for speed of interface and to convey tone for accurate interpretation.

Isn't it intriguing that thought via a medium such as this is then further encrypted by poetry?

I wonder whether at the language switch required by four or more forms of thought here, from the visual-literal of net speak on an open forum/soap box, to poetic metaphor, symbolism, allusion etc, to then flip back into communication on a one: one basis with individuals in privacy of the mail box, to then hold a physical conversation while typing with a colleague, family member in the 'real world'
Language is so often an enclosed code within families/soc... here we have several in operation at once, not really surpising we have misunderstandings: -)

all the best
L

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• ***** ***** (4/8/2005 1:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

webcams can clarify the emoticon ;)

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Poetry Hound (4/8/2005 1:34:00 PM) Post reply

By emoticons I assume you mean things like the Smilies that you put at the end of a message. I've never used them because to me they seem too restrictive. They seek to distill a facial expression or emotion into a compartmentalized two-dimensional figure. I don't think facial expressions or nuanced speech can be translated into non-verbal figures. We have literature and poetry to do that.

[Hata Bildir]