Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Janice M Pickett Female, 14, Belgium (3/31/2005 6:30:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

I think everyone is so hung up on numbers that they have forgotten the basic principles.
If you enjoy something very much you give it the highest score on the site which is ten. Not because ten means a darn thing really..BUT because it shows you REALLY enjoyed the poem. THAT IS ALL. It just sends a message to the poet that someone really enjoyed the poem. Scores lower than that are indication that maybe someone didn't enjoy it as much. If they don't like it they give a low figure. So what! Thats their decision and choice. BUT...If a new reader sees low scores, they will often judge before reading and automatically pass by, what could be a really nice poem. The rating is not a power play but a simple means of finding out who likes your work....So when someone comes along and puts stupid scores without reading the poems, just out of spite, it damages the pleasure of reading the poem by another person who just clicks passed it believing it must be rubbish. It destroys the pleasure for the reader and also the poet who looks forward to seeing who has liked their work.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (3/31/2005 8:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

There is no evidence that visitors bypass poems with low scores. At best, there may be some personal anecdotes. In that regard, I was a visitor before I became a member, and scores of any kind did not affect whether I read a poem or how I regarded it.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (3/31/2005 6:14:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with you, Janice, but it's not based on any evidence. My humch is that most people use the site to read the poetry of established poets. That's how I first discovered it. And I still use it th ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Janice M Pickett (3/31/2005 1:59:00 PM) Post reply

Thats interesting. I guess it's a variable thing with no real way to find out. I do feel most visitors come here for a purpose. Maybe a school project or special occassion. They are looking for speci ... more

• Rookie Solitary Man (3/31/2005 7:00:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, I agree with you. I hadn't considered the potential detrimental effects of maliciousness. However, personally speaking, I don't think that any thinking person would bypass a poem rated 1/10. I agree that visitors may but members might be a little more holistic in their approach (I hope!) Having said that, visitors outnumber members by a huge margin so I think what you say has a lot of validity. The only positive upshot is that if one aspires to be a professional writer, it does one no harm to 'harden the arteries' against the malicious critic. Then again, many poets (myself included) are amateurs who prefer their arteries as they are. I don't know the answer. Perhaps a 1-3 scale and a thumb to denote '10'. A '1' would not then be so harsh. Comments are far more valuable.

Perhaps if everyone was restricted to only giving one low score in 7 days (ie. below 5/10) ... a lot of the spite would be rooted out. This could easily be implemented. I guess then, people would save their stinking marks for the most objectionable material...bigotry etc. I don't actually disagree with a single word you've said.

Best regards, Mark.

[Hata Bildir]