Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Poetry Hound Male, 60, United States (3/16/2005 9:58:00 AM)

I have found that some people like criticism and others do not. For those that feel offended or insulted by my comments, in most cases I simply stop commenting on their poems altogether. Perhaps for those poets who do not wish to receive criticism, there should be a setting they can employ to block comments. Just like you now can block all incoming private communications, you should be able to block comments as well. A more cumbersome (and non-foolproof) approach would be to post a comment under each of your poems stating that you do not wish to receive criticism.

As for the rating system, it's hard for me to believe people get so bent out of shape about it. I can't believe even a casual observer would take the ratings seriously. Ninety percent of the ratings are tens or ones. I am suspect of both scores. Some of Emily Dickenson's poems have gotten low ratings while some very amateurish drek receives tens. Also, people seem to give scores based on whether the sentiments of a poem appeal to them, regardless of how imaginative or well-crafted the poem is. Plus you can give yourself a ten (or multiple tens if you know how) . Many people seem to engage in this bizarre self-promotion or at least one suspects they do when one sees all the tens they have. The whole numeric rating system is idiotic and should be abolished. Lacking that, I think folks should just have thicker skin and not get their panties in a wad over a low rating. If everyone still wants to maintain a rating system, then I think there is merit in the idea of somehow connecting the rating to the rater.

As for the Top 500 Poet and Top 500 Poem lists, those are extremely simplistic and manipulatable. As a little test recently, I was able to move a poet up approx.25 positions and a poem up approx.200 positions. Those lists should probably be moderated in some fashion.

Good discussion. I hope the moderators are tuning in.

Regards.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Sylvia Spencer (3/16/2005 11:39:00 AM) Post reply

Dear poet hound I have found you at last, I like good criticism, the stronger the better. My poem 'A Tribute to the Princess of Wales' the criticisam was heavy but I loved it. I am as hard as nails and I can take it, because I was so pulled down at school. This has made me a stronger person.
    I did put the wrong tital to the poem the right tital is the one above

Sylvia Spencer

[Hata Bildir]