Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Adryan Rotica Rookie - 1st Stage (3/19/2005 3:16:00 AM) Post reply

There's so much more going on here...I LOVE IT

• Adryan Rotica Rookie - 1st Stage (3/19/2005 2:54:00 AM) Post reply

This is all getting too ridiculous....'Common, where does it end?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (3/19/2005 2:15:00 AM) Post reply

Just received a private message that I MUST pass on: As to the spelling of Einsatztruppen, P-H must have seen that on a Matzoball coupon.
    Einsatz and Truppen are two German words. No kicking and screaming can ever change that spelling. Rudolph Hess was the one who urged Hitler to have a militia at home and the SA, SS etc. were later all thrown against the OSS (Office of Strategic Services) , in vain as it turned out.
    Hitler's dictatorship coupled with the German mentality, the people's sense of discipline and justice, of putting in their all, almost succeeded in conquering the world.
    We have to thank the Russians above all for preventing the worst scenario that mankind could have faced. So it always comes down to the person who 'runs' the country, always has, unfortunately, what usually does happen is that people get whom and what they ask for (and deserve?) .
    Enough of history for today. Undoubtedly, P-H who claims that he can take it all on the chin like a big man (just like an alcoholic who can 'take it or leave it') will see some new twist to my comments. Perhaps I was related to Rudolph Hess and have friends in today's Austria.
    It is getting a bit boring now.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (3/19/2005 1:56:00 AM) Post reply

PoetryHound I am only writing back to set the record straight. You must be dumber than was obvious on first glance. The spelling of Einsatztruppen! Let me have another laugh. Did you look it up on your toilet paper? Then you state that I don't even have the names! Who said that? Can you read plain English? Don't dabble with a foreign language if you have trouble with English, which is a simple tongue.
    McCarthy? I fell into it?
    No comment necessary. I think you would have been far better off had you just kept quiet. This way you have removed all doubt and that for a lot of people methinks.

• Ulrike Gerbig Rookie - 1st Stage (3/19/2005 1:41:00 AM) Post reply

for my 'poetic' thoughts on this topic, see me poem 'overture' which expresses everything i want to say about this!

ulrike

• Ulrike Gerbig Rookie - 1st Stage (3/19/2005 1:33:00 AM) Post reply

i have been taking time out from this discussion for some days and followed 'real life' somewhere else...

now i checked on it again and try to understand what it is all about...

for one thing, i still feel that it is a positive development that some of the old feuds are out in the open now. that way they don't fester away 'under cover' and they don't poison everything else anymore...

besides that, i don't understand the obsession with 'ones', or 'tens' for that matter.
    why do people write?
    to earn praise and recognition or to creatively 'process' past pains and joys?
    isn't writing poetry a very personal thing, coming from very personal 'roots' and thus, often highly subjective?

the beauty and fascination of poetry lies in the fact that every reader can fill the condensed space between the lines and the imagery of a poem with his/her own experience/world/life/dreams/wishes and thus make it his/her personal work of art, too.

we poets need to learn to let our poems go: the moment we publish them (here or in books) , the moment we voice them at readings, we lose control over them and need to live with the reactions they cause.

this requires strength! the moment we share a poem we present ourselves in a nakedness we would otherwise only show at very intimate occassions...this makes us vulnerable. but aren't we all exhibitionists, to some extend, in our need to share and present our most intimate moments in public?

the ambivalence in a poet's life lies between being thin-skinned enough to write poetry and to be thick-skinned enough to accept criticism.

writing a poem is one thing, going out and sharing it is another, and the second part of a poet's life is the one that requires much more courage!

some of my poems have been voted down with 'ones' the moment i posted them: those 'ones' were always given without comments.
    i care for the comments now: they are much more helpful and they are fair, because people show themselves.

but 'ones' or no 'ones', comments or no comments: i will go on posting poetry here and use this site as a training area. i want to face and accept criticism in all forms (fair or unfair) , because i think that is something every poet needs to learn!

ulrike

• Poetry Hound Rookie - 1st Stage (3/19/2005 12:24:00 AM) Post reply

Yes I admit I wrote that little poem. It seemed quite appropriate at the time. Why? Because you asserted that I shouldn’t post comments/criticisms unless I also posted poems. My little poem was intended to show how nonsensical that logic was/is. BTW, you got the cento thing wrong. Cento Poet posted some poems, then you posted comments on them to the effect that you couldn’t figure them out, then you guys posted your God thing, THEN we got into a tussle that included the cento thing. You said “It figures” that I have such bad taste that I like Cento Poet (This is before you found out what a cento was) . Once you found out, you tried to lecture me about them as if you knew what they were all along.

Oh, I’ve never said, “You’re full of it.” You must be thinking of someone else.

And I’m not going to talk with you about Janice or anyone else. She can handle herself and we had a truce PRIOR to her announcement that she was leaving for what amounted to a few days.

• Poetry Hound Rookie - 1st Stage (3/18/2005 11:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I don't get the connection between Big man and proof. I just question whether one-scores significantly affect the number of hits on poemhunter and thus whether they have any affect on revenues. I don't know but I think the vast number of people who visit the site and provide hits and not looking in the amateur section but are looking at the poems of established poets. And the thing about 'I won't call you x' was a little joke at him for accusing me of name-calling when I never had. Get it?

As for admitting when I'm wrong, yep, I've done it. Several times recently. I have no problem doing it. But certain other people seem to be allergic to it.

As for attacking you, I never have. Go ahead and find a quote where I attacked you. You can’t do it because there aren’t any. Our little scuffle started off when you were surmising about people who gave you a one-score on a poem about God and you said words to the effect that some people just can’t handle an uplifting poem about God. Now, what I said was that I thought maybe the one-score had nothing to do with God and perhaps the one-giver simply didn’t think the poem was any good or thought the poet was full of herself. Hardly an attack. In fact, I was simply surmising too. But I think you INTERPETED it as an attack and went on to chide me for appreciating centos before you knew what they were (speaking of not being able to admit something) .

Replies for this message:
    • Janice M Pickett (3/19/2005 12:16:00 AM) Post reply

Personally. I think we should all make up don't you. I'm all for a little bit of hugs and nice things said,

• Janice M Pickett (3/19/2005 12:14:00 AM) Post reply

Hey Baby You getting off with my friend here. You are a better lover than a fighter so be nice..XXOO

• Sandra Osborne Rookie - 1st Stage (3/18/2005 11:24:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Poetry Hound, don't ask Herbert to be a BIG Man, then you yourself ask for proof. I work with web sites as a computer geek and that's how they work. Of course you can disagree, but that wasn't really the point. If you never think you are wrong, I guess you're always right.

Plus you do this all the time, acting like you're a great magnamamous critic when in fact you are not. You even called Herbert names by prefacing them as 'I won't call you 'X'', well, isn't that in fact calling him that?

• Poetry Hound Rookie - 1st Stage (3/18/2005 10:05:00 PM) Post reply

Too bad. I thought you were going to be big enough to admit defeat. I guess you'll continue with your delusional tilting, chasing one-givers wherever they may hide. There's one underneath a rock! Another one behind the tree! Just one teensy problem with such an Einzatsgruppen pursuit - it is doomed to failure. The one-givers are impossible to catch, all McCarthy-esque claims of having names to the contrary.

[Hata Bildir]