Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • R.M. Alexander (4/4/2005 4:41:00 AM) Post reply

It's been a while since I've been there,
    feeling the wind blow through my hair,
    watching kids fly by while their,
    joyous squeaks and yells fill the air.
    Been a while since I stood outside to stare
    as sun met snow, creating such a beautiful glare.
    watching sunset, free, without a care,
    before retiring before a fire in a cozy lair.
    There's a warm place I'd like to share,
    a place with such incredible beauty rare,
    but to invite you in I see as only fair,
    for if I don't you'll be a snack for that bear.

• Allan James Saywell (4/4/2005 4:22:00 AM) Post reply

My poem' boo hoo hoo kangaroo'is now a starter in your competition
    ladies and gent's

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/3/2005 11:12:00 PM) Post reply

Posted 3 to the challenge.
    H

• Janice M Pickett (4/3/2005 7:58:00 PM) Post reply

Response to Rhyming Challenge

Sun is setting with a glow
    I am feeling very low
    My sister stares her name is Flo
    as on my motorbike I go
    past the houses in a row
    with my dog bo barking so
    I turn to wave but no no no
    over the handlebars I go
    landing head first in the snow
    with no more ego
    for me to show

response to challenge.

Janice M Pickett

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/3/2005 3:28:00 AM) Post reply

I must join in the chorus of Farewells for someone who, undoubtedly, has been the foulest piece of turd that P/H has ever had to endure.
    So let us pray that he never shows his filthy visage again in this neighbourhood, perhaps jail will teach him a few things, should the world be so lucky, although I doubt it.
    I do not want to take the time to create a poem for the occasion, it is not worth it, of course.
    But, I do feel sorry for the likes of Ann what's her name who consider this thing to be a top poet.......
    They must all be on drugs.
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/3/2005 1:51:00 AM) Post reply

RC is just joking. He knows how good he is.
    Don't we wish.
    I think I am gonna give him a 'one' or maybe a half!
    H

• Sylvia Spencer (4/2/2005 11:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

dear previous writer I should not worry about your ratings. If there anything like mine then you aint got nothing to worry about. If you think you write well then keep on writing. I do, life is as you see it not what people want you to write, so never think that you have upset someone along the way. cheers sylvia

Replies for this message:
  • Robert Rorabeck (4/2/2005 9:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

my tremendous overall rating has dropped over the course of 2 days from a lofty 5.5 to a meager 4.0- I think I set someone on fire- Too bad they can't take off the poems of mine on people's favorites list. McDonalds, I'm love'n it.

• Lenchen Elf (4/3/2005 8:52:00 AM) Post reply

Not to worry R, some masqued avenger on the board is obviously charged with a divine mission to deliver the power of '1' into our lives, thus spur us on to greater deeds: -) Who are we to complain a ... more

• Mary Nagy (4/3/2005 8:31:00 AM) Post reply

My rating has been doing a swan dive over the last day or so too.....don't worry about it. I was thinking the same thing...that I got somebody mad but I'm just gonna ignore it. Remember, the ratings ... more

• Lare Austin (4/1/2005 10:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes, Janice...right on target...but please permit me...I believe...after reading your 'stuff'...your poetry is very, very first class...excellent...there is no anthology that could do any of your work justice...your poetry is indeed top notch...in my humble opinion...

Lare

• Janice M Pickett (4/1/2005 11:46:00 PM) Post reply

Lare you are such a darling. Thanks for those kind words. I just got that email about an hour ago. I don't even remember submitting that poem. Just shows you hey! Hugs Jan

• Janice M Pickett (4/1/2005 10:29:00 PM) Post reply

Just thought I would share this with you guys. This is how they work I guess.

Circle of Poets - Results From the Authors' Contest

Dear janice Pickett,

We have chosen to publish your poem in the 2005 edition of poetry vibes. Your poem was part of more than 8563 entries. Our editors recognize its technical qualities. It is with great pleasure that we would like to inform you that your poem:

Looking through old photographs
    the other day.
    Made me remember things
    from times forgotten
    When Life was but a game
    and the future looked far from
    promising.

It brought back memories of
    childhood desires.
    I found myself back there
    in the moment
    when pain and fear were
    the strongest emotions I knew

I had to shake myself back to
    this day.
    The past tucked neatly back in it's
    place in my photo album.

Sitting there with the past now
    closed in a satin cover and
    held tightly in my lap
    I shudder.

The progress of time, years,
    experience and memories
    The realisation that we were
    once there in those closed pages
    Brings a sobering reality to today.

I thank my past for what I am now.
    I grieve my past for the insecurities
    I carry with me

But mostly I thank God that I am still alive
    to be part of this day.
    The future of my yesterdays

has been selected to get published. As such, your poem and name will be published in the 2005 edition of poetry vibes!

Your copyrights are fully respected. You retain full ownership of your work.

Paying members who order the 2005 manuscript will also qualify for the $5000 grand prize as a thank you for helping us to craft and print the manuscripts and to support our team. They will also receive an invitation to the global poetry conference.

Once you order, we will contact you soon with more details on that global conference (with poetry experts and all 2005 contest winners working on technical/improvisation workshops) .

Our editors select poems on the basis of rhythm, use of imagery, style and individuality. With respect to your poem 'The Future of my Yesterdays', our team of editors has particularly appreciated the images and mood evocated throughout.

All Circle of Poets members can now read your poem in our new manuscript and we will also present it to other publishers and poetry organizations. We will ask for your authorization in the event your poem is also selected by another publisher.

Our own manuscript is made of high quality, bounded paper. The manuscript contains professional illustrations. It makes a terrific coffee table book and a great gift to friends and family!

[Hata Bildir]