Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Sylvia Spencer (3/21/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply

Dear Herbert, got the message on the bottom of my poem 'Mr Pong. The people in quistion make my Mr pong look spotless, I'm glad you enjojed the poem.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/21/2005 1:18:00 AM) Post reply

Exactly right, Janice. How would those who have been spared so far feel if someone smeared some cacatum onto door knobs, window sills and maybe the fridge.
    This is what has been done as anyone reading the comments of the recently re-subscribed person of (to myself) unacceptable repute would see.
    An additional technical point about the site is the fact that people can hide their faces, remain unseen while 'visiting'. I fail to see any reason for this facility to exist. Why would you want to hide? And don't tell me God also hides. What is, of course, an unsurmountable problem is the fact that so many types of people frequent P/H. If you have a mob of people you will usually find a very diverse mix of characters, ranging from those who have and the have-nots.
    One cannot expect rats and earhworms to have table manners. Figuratively speaking, of course.
    I am rather glad that I have such a good sensible neighbour as Janice, there is another (former New Yorker) close by who seems to be one of the good guys too.
    I shudder to think if I lived elsewhere.

• Janice M Pickett (3/20/2005 10:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think the bottom line here guys is this.

Our little spot on Poemhunter is our own little bit of space. OUr territory.
    If we draw a parrallel with our homes. Would we invite poeple in to visit and expect them to steal from us or be rude to us? I think not. So when we post our poems we would like the same respect. We want to invite readers. BUT we do not want them to be rude or damage what we do. That is inconsiderate and unnecessary. We have every right to retaliate if someone comes into our home and assults us. So we have every right on this site to defend ourselves against those who assult us verbally and emotionally on our little bit of poetic turf.
    Thats how I see it.

JMP

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/21/2005 4:30:00 AM) Post reply

Janice where are you hiding? Your inbox address is still blocked and I see little of you on the site. Thanks however for the very kind comments. Too much praise. Best wishes Herbert

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/20/2005 9:03:00 PM) Post reply

Is it a bit like raising Arizona?
    H

• Mary Nagy (3/20/2005 6:03:00 PM) Post reply

I meant simply put that re-posting poems does seem to get the people reading their poetry.....that's a good thing. It is a shame for the reasons certain people have felt the need to repost (to erase certain comments.) I have to confess I have not read all the argumentative comments but believe me....it would be hard to find anyone familiar with this site that wasn't aware of what was going on. Yes, if there were very nasty comments on my poetry (uncalled for or offensively rude) I would probably do the same. Of course, wanting more people to read my poetry...my childish brain started thinking......hmmm...should I repost? No...I will not repost anything.... Luckily I havn't had any of my poems defaced as some feel they have. I was not implying anyone has done it purposely for the attention drawn to their poems. :) I was simplying saying...look on the bright side, more people reading your work...that IS a good thing. I know I have re read much of the re-posted work...and enjoyed it very much I must say! Sincerely, Mary

• Poetry Hound (3/20/2005 4:36:00 PM) Post reply

Such wisdom from Mary! It’s a bit astounding how so many folks are preoccupied with ratings and rankings, and how so much effort is put into reading the tea leaves as to what they mean or don’t mean. As most of us seem to have figured out by now, there is no guaranteed way of determining who is good or bad poet from any of the vehicles on poemhunter, since all of them – the scoring system, the Top 500 lists, and the number of hits – can be (and are) manipulated. And certainly the comments do not determine who is good or bad, especially the quid pro quo comments – you know, I’ll compliment your poem so then you compliment mine. I understand the desire for some sort of accurate validation method, but you won’t find it on poemhunter. The best advice I’ve heard is to just write poetry and not worry about all this stuff. And if you don’t want to receive criticism either from me or from anyone else, just say so.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/20/2005 4:34:00 PM) Post reply

Mary, my unsolicited answer to your question is that some who re-post all their poems do so for the same reason that you would had someone viciously defaecated upon your dress. You would probably wash it before putting it back on.
    If you meant to say what I think you implied then don't be shocked by my words.
    People like England were allowed back on the site and some of us would like to clean the filthy excrement off our poems to make room for a bit of clean air and sunshine.
    H

• Mary Nagy (3/20/2005 3:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

One more question....isn't it a 'good-thing' to leave the site for a day or so and then re-post all your work? ? ? I'm just thinking.......is that how people get so many people reading their poems? Just a thought.......

• Janice M Pickett (3/20/2005 10:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Mary. NO not at all. For example...When I removed all my poems it was because I felt That I would NEVER EVER post on such a site again. All my work appears in my Books. (Which Poetry Hound Cannot ... more

• Mary Nagy (3/20/2005 3:56:00 PM) Post reply

I have to say that I read lots of poetry here. I try to comment on at least some of the poems I read. I'm no expert (obviously) but I do vote on the poems. I figured this being an amateur poetry site it was acceptable to vote just by how the poem strikes you...You like it or you don't. Normally I only vote if the poem hits a chord with me or moves me somehow. If we were professional poetry editors we surely wouldn't waste so much time here...would we? I love reading lots of different types of poetry. There are many I don't understand though, those I leave alone, I neither vote nor comment since I figure I just must not 'get it' or it must be above me...(or it could be really bad) but either way...I leave it alone. Sincerely, Mary

• Michael Shepherd (3/20/2005 3:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'CR..' said Pooh, 'what's a Stanzer? '
    'Well, Pooh, ' said CR, 'Back in a place called Italy where Italians live and write poems in Italian 'cos they can't write English, it just meant 'standing place' in the Sixteenth Century. You know the way Eeyore likes to stand in that special corner of the field when it's windy? So you might walk past one windy morning and say, perhaps in Italian if you were Italian which you aren't, 'Oh, I see Eeyore's in his usual stanza...' and I'd nod and say 'Yes Pooh, so he is. It's windy today' '
    'I see' said Pooh; wondering why Italians whoever they were, couldn't just say what they meant.
    'But then' said CR, 'Italian poets started to write poetry in little bunches of four lines, because four lines feel rather comfortable together, like four of us under one umbrella when it rains... like your poem about Rupert Brooke: and after four lines, you rather hope there's another four lines coming, and you get a sort of comfortable feeling, like when you're walking along a path with a fence, and after one fence post you take a few more steps, and inside yourself you might think 'there's another post coming' and so it does and you feel comfortable about fences, like fences themselves do. It's called Agreeable Repetition'

'I see' said Pooh; not knowing, of course, that one day when he was Very Famous, his Hums would be translated into Italian and sound rather like honey talking...

[Hata Bildir]