Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Scarborough Gypsy (3/24/2005 8:02:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Looks like I've been given 1's too.

• Valsa Terron (3/24/2005 7:58:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hey guys! I just discovered this site and decided to put up my poetry. As of now i just have one called 'Love And Life'... I'd really appreciate it if you could check it out and rate it. :)
    Thanks a ton! !

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (3/24/2005 7:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

hi all,

so i've contacted my Congressman and he assures me he will assemble a Committee at once to investigate these nefarious One-Givers. justice will be served, he told me. also, the Secret Service and FBI have been notified to be alert for new attacks, and the Department of Homeland Security has apparently launched their own investigation. seems they suspect the One-Giver is an Al-Qaida operative.

more as this develops.

Jake

Replies for this message:
    • Janice M Pickett (3/24/2005 3:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

So Jake. hehehehehe what you are saying is that you are the one giver.? ? ?

• Poetry Hound (3/24/2005 9:18:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Jake, I know you mean well by calling out the troops, but I think our little band of stormtrooper wannabees, peddling madly on their tricycles, with their foil-covered cardboard swords and mixing bowl ... more

• Poetry Hound (3/24/2005 5:13:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Thanks, Gypsy. Actually, you're not alone. Quite a few people are interested in getting feedback on their poems, positive or negative. Quite a few have responded to my comments/criticisms by asking for more detailed criticism. I am usually happy to oblige, although I never pretend to speak for anyone but myself and if you disagree with my criticism, that's quite okay.

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/24/2005 1:40:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I have been listening to everyone's oppinions on this subject and I have to agree with you here. I welcome all constructive critisism and comments from anyone who cares to read my work. I do want to get better and it makes no difference to me whether the person commenting is a poet or not as long as they know what they are talking about. To simply say 'I love it' or 'It's crap' is not good enough but if you say why you love or hate it, then that's advice that I would well welcome. It doesn't mean you have to take every bit of advice you get but it does give you food for thought and in most cases something more to work with. I have only been on this site for three days and I am really enjoying it. I already feel that I have learnt so much here from the feedback I have been given. In most cases I agree with the comments I have received and some I have a chuckle about. I am not interested in making enemies on this site. I just want to have the opportunity to converse with others that have an interest in this wonderful craft. Well, that's my two pennies worth for now.

Kind regards to all members on this site (no pun intended) ha, ha
    G

• Poetry Hound (3/23/2005 9:00:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thanks, Lare. You expressed your views very clearly and calmly. I respect your view but I don't think you necessarily speak for all poets on the site. Quite a few are not simply looking for recognition but are looking to get better. Some even invite and are appreciative of criticism, whether from another poetry writer or not. I don't think poets necessarily have a better eye for critiquing poetry than non-poets. Many of them clearly have not read much poetry themselves. To use your football example, who would you rather get advice from - someone who has studied (but never played) the game for years and knows the moves and plays of the great players, or the novice player fresh onto the grid who has hardly any playing experience and knows nothing of the great players? (I'm not saying I'm a great critic) . In the end, I guess if you don't wish to receive criticism, just say so and I'll respect that.

• Lare Austin (3/23/2005 8:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hi P H...very good point you make about not having the right to criticize something unless you actually participate in it. I agree. Yes...we are all entitled to our opinion...much like, as you said, a film critic that critiques films but has never acted nor directed. On the other hand, that is sort of like telling a football lineman, after the game is over (or, in this case after the poem has already been created, written and posted) how you would have played the game better and gotten a higher score. Meanwhile...here is this player standing before you, his uniform completely muddied from having been in the trenches to create a winning game for you, and all he is looking for is some sort of recognition from his fellow peers...not from someone who suddenly ran down from the bleachers waving a red flag with a list of things you did wrong on the field that day. I, as will many poets on this site, will always defend your right to like or dislike a poem that is posted. Not all poetry is for everyone. We all know that. But...just try to understand that a player wants recognition and praise from everyone. But usually only accepts and respects criticism from his/her fellow players. That's just the way the game is played. One more thing, if I may
    P H...(and please, I mean this in all due respect) but...I personally do not refer to any/all poets on this site as 'amateur poets' that are 'pretty talented'...I myself think that all the poets here on this site are very, very talented. My stuff isn't for everyone and certainly not everyone's stuff that I read here is for me. We are all here standing at the edge of the pond lobbing our small pebbles into the water. Some splashes appeal a little more to some readers here than to others. That is all we are...storytellers...throwing our pebbles into the pond...hoping that someone will notice...with some sort of degree of kindness...understanding...

Your friend in respect,

Lare Joseph Austin

• Poetry Hound (3/23/2005 6:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Hi Sylvia,
    Thanks for your kind comment about my criticism. As for my own poetry, sorry I don't write any. But I am an avid poetry reader. As you know, I enjoy reading your poetry even though I am critical of it from time to time. I'm glad you're open to criticism. Others have a difficult time with it and actually believe that if you don't engage in an activity yourself you have no right to engage in criticism of it. It's asinine logic, of course, because it means you shouldn't criticize politicians unless you are a politician, and you shouldn't criticize films unless you're a film-maker, etc. If you’re interested in some other amateur poets around here, some of the ones I think are pretty talented are Lenchen Elf, Richard Hansen, Sherrie Gonzalez-Kolb, Christine Magee, and others that don’t come immediately to mind.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Sylvia Spencer (3/23/2005 1:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Poetry hound
    I would like to know if you have any potry on poemhunter, only I have looked for some and I canot find any, do you go under another name, Only I would like very much to comment on your work. I would like to find out which way your pen flows.Only I too am a good critic, if your poetry is as good, as you are a critic
    then I shall enjoy reading it very much.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/23/2005 2:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Good evening to you Gypsy, you could place some brief comments right under the poem (s) , it has been done frequently before, although it probably needs to be considerably shorter than the poem itself.
    H

• Janice M Pickett (3/23/2005 2:44:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think a rule of thumb is that if anyone leaves a critique, then they leave a vote also. We are hoping to have the two areas tied up so that if anyone wants to vote they can only do so if they have l ... more

[Hata Bildir]