Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Lenchen Elf (3/16/2005 8:06:00 PM) Post reply

Adrienne...good point..onwards and upwards: -)

• Adryan Rotica (3/16/2005 7:52:00 PM) Post reply

Can we flush all this past tense down the toilet? Let's start fresh and not butt heads. It takes too much energy and goes nowhere in the end.

We all agree that inappropriate commentary is bad...and that the rating system is only as good as the user using it.

Perhaps we should examine our own intentions...who are we writing for? If we feel good about what we write isn't that good enough? ? ? And the fact that we can share it with others, is somehow getting lost in translation.

• Poetry Hound (3/16/2005 7:32:00 PM) Post reply

Jake is right of course. I do recall seeing some others down there in the mud with England.

• Poetry Hound (3/16/2005 7:30:00 PM) Post reply

Not sure what you're arguing about or why you're intentionally misconstruing what I said. (I never said or impied anyone was a bumbling idiot.) The bottom line is that everyone agrees the ratings mean little or nothing. Period. If anything, it appears YOU are the one who stands alone in thinking they matter to others.

• Poetry Hound (3/16/2005 6:57:00 PM) Post reply

Nah, poetry editors don't pay attention to the scores. In fact, except for maybe some little start-up poetry rag, they don't even troll the internet looking for poetry. They don't need to. It comes to them in torrents. The scores on poemhunter, whether ones or tens, are self-evidently meaningless.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/16/2005 6:10:00 PM) Post reply

The only problem with the thinking of Po-Ho and Jake is this: People from all over the globe read the stuff we famous poets create and, in our generosity present to the world.
    Most, if not all, readers will look at the ratings, not so much at the comments (too lazy) to see how he/she was judged. Those people, and this includes 'talent scouts' who may be interested in offering you a place in their up-coming book for some of your poems, will be impressed by the number which is so prominently displayed on the poem-as if it were extremely vital and an official verdict.
    The publisher of a book of poetry based at a university queried me on some of the 'haphazard' ratings!
    They do not know what we know, just as my mother is so very happy that I am sometimes listed next to Goethe in the 500 club. So, I vehemently disagree with Jake's observation that the system is fine as it is. Also, I was not aware of the apparent fact (?) that visitors, as non-members- could vote?
    It is official now, England, the one with the quarter deck for a brain, has been booted off. Thanks to the handful of people who complained to Emilie, who, after overcoming her recent computer problems, has done the right thing. Wait, however for the friends of the departed to stir up some further trouble.
    Overall, I like the comments of everyone and the atmosphere here is pleasant, Adrienne, you hit it right with your peacepipe comment.
    I still don't know what ABABAB (a comment by RC in conjunction with my name) means, other than that it is a hotel in Budapest.Any ideas?
    Best wishes to all
    H

• Adryan Rotica (3/16/2005 4:12:00 PM) Post reply

I like this little POW WOW...We Smoke'em Peace pipe together....good aye. This site is great. It's amazing how many people take the time to read our poetry and for us to have a place where ''our work is put alongside better poets''...that is a wonderous thing....don't you think?

I am fine with the current rating system...I think the meat and bones of what is going on here is not so much the numers but the insults that get thrown at other artists. This has ruined it for those who have left because of bombastic critiques and other rants...whenever good talent leaves, that is one less talented person for us to bounce with...and I believe that does us all injustice.

• Michael Shepherd (3/16/2005 3:56:00 PM) Post reply

Another glitch - 'You are not authorised to post this message...' ggrrr

• ***** ***** (3/16/2005 3:50:00 PM) Post reply

Then I suppose we must take practical steps... should someone be appointed to collect individual criticisms and compile them into a cohesive report? / should PH admin be encouraged to post an idea box (with perhaps and a/b/c choice range) on the homepage to solicit the feelings of as many members as possible - after all it should be democratic, no? Sorry - I've always strived for as big a sample as possible, I was a greedy research student! ! ! Sx

• Lare Austin (3/16/2005 11:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I feel very flattered that people take the time to read my 'stuff' on this site. I appreciate the encouragement and feedback. I try to keep it simple...write it, throw it out there...and if you should like it that is great. And if you don't...that's okay too. My stuff isn't for everyone...I feel flattered that I am in the midst of some very great poets here. Thank you for letting me be a part of this...

Lare

Replies for this message:
    • Frederick Kesner (3/16/2005 4:14:00 PM) Post reply

I know the feeling Lare.... The encouragement and the feedback is almost like an elixir. Just wish there was more time in the world to go through more poems in a session. Frederick

[Hata Bildir]