Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/26/2005 1:37:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I hope it is okay to call you Kiddo (?) , if not you can call me Schweinshaxn.
    Best wishes,
    I liked your poem The Decorator *

* as well.
    Herbert

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/26/2005 12:48:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Kiddo, if you can change this mob I will be wearing a crown of homemade Sauerkraut 24 hours a day from that moment on.
    They are not all bad on P/H, but many of them might as well be since they sit back and watch how a few creepos destroy what was once a pleasant site.
    In my opinion it started when people like England were allowed on the site. These types always bring with them their 'friends' without whom they appear to feel helpless. This is of course known to social workers and community planners the world over and it is not easy to deal with them. People who cannot create feel driven to destroy, that's just the way things are.
    We don't have any GB Shaws on this site, they used to call him 'Fearless Champion of the Truth', no, it appears that many of the members here could not be stirred out of their lethargy unless they themselves are being attacked.
    A kindergarten? A playground?
    Don't we wish.
    I placed a rambling poem today, just some thoughts, asking specifically for NO RATINGs please. I received two 10's within minutes, one hour later the total score was 3.7 with 7 people having voted.
    Apparently, this is what these people are comfortable with, perhaps deep down they feel that they don't deserve any better.
    The scum always tries to rise to the top when you make Sauerkraut. The wise farmer will get rid of it pronto.
    I hope that they treat you with decency or at least leave you alone, being the new kid on the block, and one with such talent, my word of advice is that you had better never stand up for what is right or for a friend.
    H

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/25/2005 10:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Does anyone use this forum to talk about anything other than the unsatisfactory voting system and how certain members are not worthy to comment on others work? ?

After only having become a member in the last week, it appears that this is all that is discussed at any great length or detail. I have also noticed that this site is incredibly 'clicky'. It seems, that when less regular people attempt to join in a discussion or post something on a different topic, they will only be acknowledged or receive a reply by the more regulars, if they are lucky. However, the majority of the time they seem to be rendered invisible and are ignored or they get slapped down so hard that they probably wouldn’t want to visit again.

As for making certain members (and this is no dig at you Herbert) mediators on the site, I think this is ludicrous! I mean, what is this? A playground?

I thought this site was for people, who enjoy poetry (both reading and writing) . A site, where, by having our work seen by others we may be provided with feed back (good and bad) to assist us in improving our craft. In addition to this, we also get to experience the craftsmanship of all the other members on the site. Again, providing us with more exposure and expertise of the world of poetry. These are the sole reasons I joined and the only reasons I will continue to stay a member. If I am fortunate enough to build relationships with other members, this is an added bonus but certainly not the reason I am here.

Is anyone in agreement with me on this? Hellooooooooooo, anyone there?

Come on guys, lets move on to something more worthy of our time and effort and if some members want to continue with the complaining and whining they could do so with each other in private?

Kind Regards
    (The New Kid On The Block)
    SG

• ***** ***** (3/25/2005 8:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I sometimes think this site is a little cluttered by people who think they can make other poet's work better.. Just a thought..

Replies for this message:
    • Mary Nagy (3/26/2005 7:06:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I agree with you Sonja....I don't plan on changing my poems no matter what any comments say...they are written from my heart and good or bad, that's what I wrote. If I wanted to see how good somebody ... more

• Lare Austin (3/25/2005 8:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

You know...Herbert...I had this thought...very little thought, mind you...but...do you think that the higher powers would agree to letting some of us become moderators...abiding by their rules, of course. I think you would be a good moderator...among others on this site that I admire greatly...

Um...just a thought...Lare

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/25/2005 4:03:00 PM) Post reply Stage

The only thing we need now Sylvia is for those kind folk to come forward. There must be a few on P/H.And they would be a sight for disappointed eyes.
    H

• Mary Nagy (3/25/2005 1:38:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Beautiful Poem! ! I wish there were more people like this around....Good find Sylvie! ! Sincerely, Mary

• Sylvia Spencer (3/25/2005 1:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I do hope that everyone on poemhunter reads this poem that I am now going to write. It is not one of my own But it is one I found in my own Poetry Data Base, date 1932 author unknown
    Kind folk
    What I mean by kind folk are the sort who never say that extra little bit that has the power to sting and flay.The sort who dont go probing to find out bits that we feel are pretty sacred and would rather let them be.

What I mean by kind folk are the sort who give a hand, and then forget about it,
    and never hire a band to play their praises loud and strong, and let the neighbours know, just how much they have helped you, and just how much you owe.

What I mean by kind folk are the sort that don't dropp out, when things go badly wrong and there's not much fun about.The sort who give their friendship with both hands full and deep, they're folk that you can reckon on safely your trust to keep.

There aren't too many of them, but you'll meet them here and there.They're mostly
    plain and homely, with friendship that will wear.If their slow in coming forward,
    dont like any less for they won't tell you what they're worth, they'll leave you to guess.

So what I mean by kind folk are those that are sincere, the sort who speak of absent ones the same as those quite near, the sort who don't go preaching about the good they do.You'll know them when you meet them-But, Oh, They're Mighty
    Few!
    COMMENTS NEEDED CHEERS S

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Mary Nagy (3/25/2005 1:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

O.k....that's a little harsh! ! I don't really have anything personally against haiku poetry, I just don't like it when somebody is using your poems to get their poems read. The person that does this does it to many people...I think it is truly annoying but that is just my personal thoughts on his behavior....not necessarily his style of poetry. He has a couple hundred poems///mostly haiku's and he obviously likes to write poetry but....just post your own and don't jump on other peoples coattails... I've never been to Japan or china and have no opinion on either...Sincerely, Mary

• Peter A. Crowther (3/25/2005 6:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I don't think his poems are strictly haiku. I always understood haiku to be three line poems with the syllable count: 5,7,5. Some of the japanese ones, by e.g. Basho and Issa are gorgeous just capturi ... more

• Poetry Hound (3/25/2005 7:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Adam, you are yet another voice of reason. There are a handful of folks who rail against the ones, but the tens leave just as big a stench. People use them to say 'I support you' or 'Here's a hug.' They're not really saying that your poem is on par with Shakespeare or Dickinson, at least I hope they’re not. The tens pervert the rating system as badly as the ones do (The ones are given as a way of saying, 'I DON'T support you) . Fortunately, the rating system complainers are a minority. Most folks are here just to read (or discover) good poetry. And there are quite a few who are truly interested in improving their writing and are open to criticism. They may disagree with the criticism and think it's unfair and that's their prerogative. But at least they are open-minded about it. If someone takes offense at my criticism, I usually apologize (but not always) .

• Lenchen Elf (3/25/2005 8:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Interesting and valid point PH & Adam. The nature of this poetry board invites posting and comment from all walks of life, not all have formal literary background...so naturally work is variable in th ... more

[Hata Bildir]