Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Scarborough Gypsy (3/26/2005 10:07:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Herbert,
    I don’t understand why you said “There isn't much one can do to increase one's 'talent' for writing good poetry”? Surely, there are lots of things a poet can do to improve their work. Such as life experiences, vocabulary, reading etc. etc Your thoughts please sir?

Secret Squirrel
    SG

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/26/2005 10:02:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Dear Anne,

I was also sad to read your comments. As I have said to Herbert, please don’t give up on this site and don’t leave. In fact, I will publicly ask all who are reading this the same. Let’s make this better not worse (by leaving) .

Anne, I have not read any of your work yet but I would like to and would also be more than happy to confer with you. If you have read my previous comments on this forum, you will see that I too am here for the same reasons as yourself and the majority of PH’s members no doubt.

There are lots of good, nice people on here. I have met lots in just one week.

So don’t go just yet. Stick around and see what transpires.

Yours truly,
    SG

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/26/2005 9:40:00 PM) Post reply Stage

And to add to this it may be worth mentioning that Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Friedrich Schiller were friends who represented what you tried to express about poets and what they should be.

But then again, both were poets that none on this site could come near within a light year or two.
    They were also both people who cherished individual values such as integrity and both saw being 'a good person' above all as a crucial goal in life.

There isn't much one can do to increase one's 'talent' for writing good poetry, but the other side of the coin could be crying out for a deep cleaning and a good polish.

H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/26/2005 9:07:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Anne, I am sorry to hear about your experience although I must admit I don't quite follow what happened.
    I have long toyed with the idea and am still undecided about leaving this site because of the presence of elements I would not give the time of day to.

This, of course is not helped by the pathetic attitude expressed in the comments of such persons as poetryhound. I would have thought that people could discipline themselves enough to avoid putting fuel on the fire.

I would encourage you to stick around a while, perhaps it will get better.
    Best wishes,
    Herbert

• louis sacre croix (3/26/2005 8:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

There was a delet message beside my first message. I did that.
    I guess that was the not welcome sign from the regulars.
    As I said I do not care about the ratings, sadly I do care about being made to feel unwelcome in a place I thought I would be welcomed by mentors and friends.

Poets are supposed to be intelligent and open minded. Here I have found children playing cruel games on one another and one or two solid poets and a friend.
    I wish I had found more of the latter.
    My aim was to improve my work and have some great discussions.
    I would have offered similar.

I obviously need to find another site.
    Once I have, I will transfer my poetry.
    God speed to those who care for poetry.
    Have fun to those who just play games.
    With regrets

Anne

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Sylvia Spencer (3/26/2005 9:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Dear Gypsy
    Im'e glad you enjoyed the poem, I just love writing (Dogreal) a sort of poetry where the pen flows the wrong way from classical. Many critics don't like it, especial those that dont write themselves. Have you read Herberts big aunt poem, it's ACE, CHEERS S

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/26/2005 7:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

ha, ha, ha

• Sylvia Spencer (3/26/2005 7:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Dear Herbert thanks for enjoying my poem. It was your Aunt's, the Big one that gave me the inspiration to write it. truefully I do have count the C, because I only have to look at at a bar of chocolate and on go the pounds. My sister is the exact opposite, she can eat anything she wants and still keeps a size 10, don't it make you sick.I can't remember the last time I ate a fresh cream cake, but just for the record my sister has had four this week(cream cakes I mean) Cheers S

• Poetry Hound (3/26/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Gypsy, your point about there being too much discussion and complaining about the rating system is spot on. Adversus solem ne loquitor - don't waste your time arguing the obvious. However, I did make a feeble attempt at a little limerick on the topic:

The ratings are dumb and we know it
    But I’ve found that there’s more than one poet
    Who’s over-inflated
    Takes Offense when they’re rated
    They’ll be wise when they choose not to show it.

Ciao.

• Sandra Osborne (3/26/2005 6:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I always though XX was kisses and 00 was hugs... so XXOO to all!

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]