Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/30/2005 5:48:00 PM) Post reply

And I must say that the more I read of Lare's book the more I am fascinated.
    Haiku - don't ask me until I get there, so far it is Greek to me (the Rhodos Dialect) .
    Is there not a run on your book yet Lare?
    H

• Lare Austin (3/30/2005 5:30:00 PM) Post reply

I think, Sherrie, that once one understands the structure/format of Haiku...an entire new wonderful world opens...I would be the first to say that I am not the best at it...but I very much enjoy writing Haiku...In my poetry book I have an enitre chapter devoted to Haiku...mistake? I'll let you be the judge...

Lare

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/30/2005 4:25:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks Sherrie, you make excellent points. Although Siggie Freud has well and truly been consigned to the heap by the backdoor of psychology and psychiatry...
    As to rhyming, in my younger years I understood poetry to be rhymes, period.
    Johann Wolfgang, Friedrich, Heinrich, Hoffmann von, Gottfried....they all rhymed exclusively. I found it to be a challenge but often a bit of a struggle to get the stupid words to rhyme and of course I ended up having to change the meaning, sometimes the entire message of a poem because I couldn't find the proper rhyming word. Often, I did not know how the poem would turn out as the absence or presence of a word would steer the poem into a new direction.
    This is still the case with me regardless of what I write, I start out and let the adventure take me.
    What I find when I read the work of others on P/H is that rhymes more often than not mean I, the reader can tell the author's struggle and how (s) he 'forced' the words in, leaving little meaning or flow or rhythm in the poem.
    I love experimenting with various styles and will be forever grateful to a poet on this site who singlehandedly 'introduced' me to the world of poetry, the one beyond rhymes for birthdays and other occasions.
    With fewer than 10 more serious poems written in the 60's I started on this venture in July,2004, infatuated over both ears with the poet and trying very hard to impress her.
    So what I have so far written is the stuff of a true greenhorn, one who is looking for new ways of expressing thoughts in poetry, and I must say that I now prefer the non-rhyming kind, especially when I want to 'say' something.
    I have done a few mixed-language poems, meaning every other line was in either German or English. Might add French or Russian to it but that is harder.
    H

• louis sacre croix (3/30/2005 4:20:00 PM) Post reply

How would one choose a great poet?

Does mass reading make one great?

Maybe it is mass media?

I personally prefer to think and choose greatness for myself and recognise individuals personally and not for what the masses are stating about them.

Some certainly must stand the test of time, however I wonder who would have heard of Shakespeare if John Smith had been the one favoured at court!

JJ Jamison, lately found to be a double murderer from MA, will he gain or lose favour with his following?

I do not claim to be an expert, all I know is that to be considered famous, it would seem you must be O K enough to appeal to the ordinary man (does that mean your work cannot be extraordinary) or you must be quite famous for something else entirely (so that at least your name will sell a book) .

Sadly greatness and great worth do not seem to run on the same track except on very rare occasions, or when you are already dead!

Anne

• louis sacre croix (3/30/2005 4:10:00 PM) Post reply

I think someone needs to stop asking that we need to read YOUR PHOTO by SHIRIN PARVARESH.

Now I am being personally posted about it.
    I shall not read it on principle now
    Anne

• Mary Nagy (3/30/2005 3:19:00 PM) Post reply

Sherrie,
    Hi. I enjoy the rhythm and flow of rhyme myself. I enjoy other types but that is my favorite. I seem to 'think' in the rhyme style so it just is what flows when I start to write...But I'm glad not everybody writes the same way... imagine how boring it would get here. Good question. Sincerely, Mary

• Poetry Hound (3/30/2005 7:02:00 AM) Post reply

Great suggestion, Jefferson (under Shep's last post) . Why don't you start it off?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/30/2005 2:36:00 AM) Post reply

Did you read any, Robert? I bet you won't be able to 'digest' more than two.
    Did someone tell hi that there is a 50 cent charge for each poem if submitted in bulk?
    H

• Lare Austin (3/29/2005 5:34:00 PM) Post reply

Michael...I will look into this...you've sparked my curiosity...thanks...

And Herbert...might you have change for a $5.00 dollar bill? ? ? ?

Lare

• Michael Shepherd (3/29/2005 4:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Might there be some subject about the actual writing of poetry which we might feel inclined to discuss? It's what this forum was set up for. I know so little about contemporary poetry anyway - even a list of personally admired poets would be a helpful start for me. There's a mass of poets on this site who may never get looked at by me because of not even knowing their names. I'll offer you one who corpses me - the guy we-all wanted to be British Poet Laureate - Benjamin Zephaniah. 'Dis Poetry' is joyous. And 'Christmas Turkeys'..

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (4/1/2005 3:45:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks, guys, for a good response. That should keep me busy for days in the few minutes left after catching up with John Chung... Jefferson, you sound best equipped for setting us homework! ?

• ***** ***** (3/30/2005 2:12:00 PM) Post reply

Another idea would be to discuss 2 versions of a poem. To illustrate how minor changes (substitution of a word, insertion or deletion of a line, etc.) might alter the meaning or artistic impact of a ... more

• Lenchen Elf (3/29/2005 5:11:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Michael Three contemporary 'family favourites' here are Brian Patten, Roger McGough and Ian McMillan, unfortunately Ian isn't on this site but he is on BBC radio quite a lot, I think you'd like hi ... more

[Hata Bildir]