Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • ***** ***** (4/15/2005 8:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ah, the VAST difference between prose and poetry. I am trying to embrace the former, but find that the latter just dizzies it up - complicates it, purples it. No matter how much I try to tone down the language I use for prose and for dialogue, the poetic instinct just dogs it and I find I have used too many adjectives, too many colours, too many descriptive references. Is there any exercise to dilute one's writing such that prose doesn't sound like one long complex poem. A poem full of too much metaphor and hidden meaning for a reader to possibly take in without reading it over and over.. Has this message even been clear, I wonder, or have I tried to be poetic with this too...

(huff) a writer's insecurity is never done... Sx

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (4/15/2005 9:19:00 AM) Post reply

I find as a journalist that the PC's word-count is a wonderful tool. Write it as it comes; leave it a day or overnight; take 3/4 of the word-count, say, as your ultimate total; and cut down. After the ... more

• Michael Witkowski (4/15/2005 5:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Please refrain from petty kindergarten squabble and uppercase shouting.
    I

• ***** ***** (4/15/2005 6:09:00 AM) Post reply

Just ignore him.. it's just another of his Tourettic attempts to start a fight in the playground. He must be a lonely man, let's forgive him and move on.

• Allan James Saywell (4/15/2005 4:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

MARK LES MURRY IS AN ARTIST PAINTER, HOW COME YOU CAN SEND ME AN EMAIL WHEN I TICKED ONLY FRIENDS, I GET EMAILS FROM SOME PRETTY SAD PEOPLE
    I WONDER WHAT SORT OF POWER YOU HAVE TO BREAK THE SYSTEM, I DO WANT THE IRISH ONE TO SEND ME ANY EMAILS EITHER, I DID NOT OPEN YOURS BECAUSE YOU RUN WITH ENGLAND YOU DONT RUN WITH THE MAN IN THE TEEPEE, WITH THE PIPE

• Andy Konisberg (4/15/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply

However, if your photograph is an indication, you have not been doing any running with anyone (or even by yourself) for a number of years, Allan.

• Leen W (4/15/2005 4:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hello Everybody,
    Can anyone help me with the following:
    My daughter read 'Catcher in the Rye' by Salinger. The title of the book refers to a poem by Robert Burns (according to the book)
    'If a body meet a body coming through the rye etc.'
    Can anybody let me know which poem this is and where I can find it?
    Thanks to you
    Leen

• Michael Shepherd (4/15/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Leen, forgot to say that Burns' poem was set to music very neatly, by? Field? M

• Michael Shepherd (4/15/2005 5:19:00 AM) Post reply

You'll find poems by burns on this site (haven't checked..) and on the web, since he is the favoured poet of all Scots... but the actual text starts 'Gin a body meet a body...' 'gin' being Scots for ... more

• mother baxter (4/15/2005 4:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

FOR GODS SAKE WHAT A BORING PLACE, COULD ANYONE TELL ME HOW MANY DEAD POETS ARE
    SUCCESSFUL, AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO PLAY INDOOR CRICKET IN THE CORRIDOOR

• Andy Konisberg (4/15/2005 7:22:00 AM) Post reply

William Shakespeare, Alexander Pope, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Christina Rossetti, Geoffrey Chaucer, Catullus (sic.) , Homer...the list of dead poets that are still successful is generally consid ... more

• mother baxter (4/15/2005 3:38:00 AM) Post reply

velmar that peanut mark fizzel or whoever you like to call him the ten poem wonder, he might be able to explain, it happens to me all the time

• Velmar Pewee Hale Johnson (4/15/2005 3:09:00 AM) Post reply

Everyone can rest assure that no one has been banned by, or because of anyone else. The site is screwed up. When you type a poem, comment, or what have you, sometimes you will get a request to login again. Do the login, then use your back button, and click till you come back to your poem, or comment, then click submit, and it will go through. This happens to me all the time.

• Robert Rorabeck (4/15/2005 1:23:00 AM) Post reply

What percentage of poems, do you think, are created through nostalgia? And how important is nostalgia in the poetic process, if at all? I say this because it seems to have a very strong effect on why I write poetry- I continually find myself getting lost in the past and idolizing it. Tonight I spent a good deal of time looking up old classmates on the internet and feeling very distant from everything and looking for contact; but don't most people simply forget and move on? Are there any really good poems out there which seem to focus on nostalgia?

• Robert Rorabeck (4/14/2005 3:00:00 PM) Post reply

I actually have to say thanks to PH for mentioning Pinter in the discussions- I read his stuff and really liked it- Ordered his 100 Poems by 100 Poets book off ebay- can't wait to read it- Find it interesting that the few works he has on Poemhunter, overall, are not rated highly.

• Poetry Hound (4/14/2005 11:36:00 AM) Post reply

In the other forum I just reposted the August Kleinzaler poem that Adam posted a couple of days ago. I really like it but could use some help figuring out the final stanza.

[Hata Bildir]