Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie John William Hall (5/20/2005 7:32:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Test Message only

• Rookie Mary Charlotte Hughes (5/20/2005 8:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Does anyone know anything about the poet Yusef Komunyakaa? I'm doing a report on him for my Englsih class. Thanks for any help!

~Mary

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Michael Shepherd (5/20/2005 3:37:00 PM) Post reply

.. and on his page on this poemhunter site with some more poems, if you click the 'books' button, you'll find some lengthy critiques of his several books which are interesting reading in themselves.. ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (5/20/2005 11:07:00 AM) Post reply

Jeez! don't you guys know how to Google - where you'll find about 20 of his poems, essays about him, recordings... nice guy.

• Rookie mother baxter (5/20/2005 12:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

little scotty you have a spelling error in your outburst against some one
    who is old the word is remain not reamin

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (5/19/2005 6:08:00 PM) Post reply

JC, I'm with you there. Most of the 'music' choices are deliberate; sometimes they just sing themselves onto the line - all too rarely ! Just one line like that today.
    Just at the moment I'm intrigued as to whether the line breaks aren't visual as well as 'heard' on screen. I rather suspect a bit of both. Music in the line; anticipation at the end of it.
    I'm also intrigued as to whether the iambic pentameter is the default line for american free verse poets?

• Rookie Twirlycrack Mcgoobernuts (5/19/2005 3:26:00 PM) Post reply

The Novelist

I just discovered this album through my big sister. She lives in LA and saw this guy live and bought the CD, then liked it so much she made me a copy. It’s by this guy Richard Swift http: //www.richardswift.us Reminds me of balmy summer days…very lyrical. Just thought I’d share.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (5/19/2005 5:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Lamont, I assume you're not a teacher of poetry; they have to engage with students at their own level. If you're going to be so dismissive, I think you owe it to us to explain your criteria. What is 'music' in poetry to you?
    It seems to me from my superficial reading, that American poetry is doing exactly what you condemn - becoming more like the definition that is now commonly given to free verse - 'prose with enhanced consciousness'. You clearly still hear the music. But if rhyme, and lyric, and the metaphysical with its soaring ecstasies, are all put out of the ballpark, what's left? I would say, the 'music' of prose. I'm currently reading Kooser's 'Local Wonders' which is entirely 'prose' yet so beautiful in its writing that every few lines could be half a poem. Don't the prose writer and the poet meet in this 'music'?
    The Greek origin of the word is in thinking and contemplating- as is the origin of the word 'mystic'. If I read a poem which comes from the heart, and from contemplation of its theme, and whose words are chosen with a 'poetic' discrimination not to jar with its presentation (I agree with JC about those two words in James Mills' poem which 'disappointed' me more than just jarred) - and a poem which most of all, if it's descriptive, makes me feel I am right there with the writer - than for me there is something between being called 'music' and 'not unmusic'...
    A master like Auden can write a lyric which is deeply serious as well as being amusing, and musical, such as 'Tell Me About Love'. I wonder if what we define as 'music' isn't ultimately the sound of the poet's very self, which we hear or don't hear. I wouldn't myself, on that score, dismiss either Jerry or Jimmy as being without music. Nor is Bukowski, in a poem like 'A Certain Smile' which sears my heart, without his own music in his 'best' work.

So where does that 'music' rest? Over to you!

• Rookie Poetry Hound (5/19/2005 11:10:00 AM) Post reply

I think defining the 'music' of a free verse poem is elusive. You can point to things like use of alliterations or a pattern of accented and unaccented syllables. But ultimately it's hard to break dow ... more

• Rookie mother baxter (5/19/2005 3:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

oh i love discussion without exclusion, but can you match it with a redcoat
    i'm the new wonder boy larry redcoat

• Rookie Sunny Albright (5/19/2005 1:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello all. I've been told this is the place to be for the good discussions!

• Rookie Scott Mcdonald (5/19/2005 12:59:00 AM) Post reply

We know who those are who choose to be 'unseen'.

• Rookie Raynette Eitel (5/18/2005 6:48:00 PM) Post reply

Oh Jefferson, how could you miss the resemblance to Sandburg's poem, 'Chicago? '
    Perhaps the only difference is when Sandburg says, '...proud to be hog butcher.' These guys are created by James to be little above the hogs (if they are) . James' poem has the same base brutality as Sandburg and does a good job helping us see what he witnessed.

Raynette

[Hata Bildir]