Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • kenneth william snow (4/27/2005 3:44:00 PM) Post reply

I'm ready to kiss and make up...

kws

• Robert Rorabeck (4/27/2005 12:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Has anyone one on here ever heard of Jim Carroll, the catholic baskeball player from new york- he wasn't part of a poetry movement, but was kind of inspired by the beats- Wrote his best poetry around 17 and his Basketball Diaries (which he started when he was 12) was turned into a lesser movie. He's definitely one of my favorites, but doesn't seem to be very well known around here. One of his later poems about Kurt Cobane is his only poem on the site- He also had an 80s punk band The Jim Carroll band which was pretty good, and has a few spoken word CDs out as well.

Replies for this message:
    • Ulrike Gerbig (4/27/2005 12:48:00 PM) Post reply

i know jim carrol. u.

• Poetry Hound (4/27/2005 12:32:00 PM) Post reply

I went to a couple of his readings in the 80s. Yes, he's identified with the beats. He's quite popular, so it's surprising he isn't better represented on the site.

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Poetry Hound (4/27/2005 9:51:00 AM) Post reply

Mark, I admit I have a personal bias toward later 20th century poets. I find so much poetry from the 19th and early 20th century sort of plodding and difficult. Having said that, I actually like a lot of Wallace Stevens' work. 'Tatoo' is one of his famous ones that's acccessible. Also 'Gray Room.' He was writing free verse fairly early on. But I admit I don't have a deep familiarity with his work. You've prompted me to go check him out in more detail.

• Andy Konisberg (4/27/2005 9:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

yes, PH...any thoughts on Stevens the 20th century American poet? made a posting on this before the nonsense began...I know you read a lot of poetry, and I am studying Stevens and Frost at the moment...Stevens leaves me cold although I admire his philosophy...what do you think?

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Poetry Hound (4/27/2005 9:30:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks for stopping in and needlessly reigniting an endless argument. Maybe we can get back to the subject of poetry now.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/27/2005 9:26:00 AM) Post reply

Well this was an informative visit at the forum again.
    I can see that no poetry can be learned or discussed here. You need some good poets for that.
    So, if there are no objections from the floor I will go to more productive regions of the internet.
    Best wishes to all,
    H

• Andy Konisberg (4/27/2005 9:20:00 AM) Post reply

No. I don't need to convince YOU of anything. I think you are a pathetic man who behaves embarrassingly for a 61 year old. The dignity of Michael and others really puts you to shame. AND I refuse to apologise for comments made by others, or interpretations made by others, as I am not their mother or guardian.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/27/2005 9:14:00 AM) Post reply

Fry, as you know the vast majority of comments on me and my work were positive. I don't look at the negative ones.
    Your ennui thingy won't wash. As you know. You should have objected to p/h's follow up on your comment.
    Mistake.

• Andy Konisberg (4/27/2005 9:10:00 AM) Post reply

The forementioned complaints of H's behaviour to poets is posted in the 'reply' section of the last posting. Please note that the first complaint is dated Jan.2005 and the second complaint Feb.2005 AND both of the people complaining are neutrally-respected poets.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/27/2005 9:10:00 AM) Post reply

Simple solution, suggested previously. All of you leave my poems alone, write no swinish poems or any other kind (which you have done) about me, make no comments about me and I will do likewise PLUS stay out of the forum.
    If this is not agreeable then I can't help you people.
    I had tried that before though.
    Yes poetryhound you need to bring the decapitation thing, it would surely be of interest.
    H

[Hata Bildir]