Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/31/2005 4:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 7 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

New topic if I may. I have been accused of being a re-incarnation of Dr. Seuss by some. Probably should be greatly flattered, but I would like to know what Max, Michael, Raynette, Linda, Allan, Lawrence, Ronberge, Jerry et al. think about his work.
    This foreigner would like to know.
    Thanks in advance
    H

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Michael Shepherd (7/30/2005 10:28:00 AM) Post reply

I think you've hit the whatsit on the head, Gol and Max. I noticed reading your poem, that the 'shock value' seemed equal to the 'prohibition value'. There maybe something in this re your wife's story, Max - who's saying it?
    I once (as I wrote in a poem) attended an army course with several grunts whose sentences were delayed by using the f-word every other word - noun, verb, adjective, adverb, intensive... it did delay messages (we were in the Signals Corps...)

• Rookie Angela Hansard (7/30/2005) Post reply | Read 6 replies

All poets need to remember that kids of all ages are reading this site. They do not need to be reading these vulgar poems. Also remember how would you feel if you knew Jesus was reading these poems? He knows everything that goes on anyway. This site should be kept clean. There are plenty of ways to express yourself without using the words thats being used. Also God has given you your gift to write and he has the power to take it away if not done for his will.
    Remember Jesus loves you and God does to. God answers prayers.

• Rookie Max Reif (7/30/2005 10:54:00 AM) Post reply

Angela, This quote came in one of my daily e-mails today: 'Of all the millions of believers in God perhaps only one makes God a reality, and that is because the picture man makes of God is as limited ... more

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/30/2005 3:07:00 AM) Post reply

Dear Angel: While I agree with you in principle and see no need for profanity in everyday life in normal times and circumstances, it nevertheless was God (and his only son Jesus) who gave us the abi ... more

• Rookie Jerry Hughes (7/30/2005 1:34:00 AM) Post reply

Indeed: Jesus loves me, this I know. So does rag-time cowboy, Joe. Ah, well?

• Rookie Sylvia Spencer (7/30/2005 1:31:00 AM) Post reply

I am so glad that someone feels the same ... more

• Rookie Poetry Hound (7/30/2005 12:32:00 AM) Post reply

With all due respect, Angela, I sincerel ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Rookie - 760 Points Jerry Hughes (7/29/2005 2:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

LANGUAGE, GENTLEMAN, LANGUAGE. EXPLETIVES FOR A GENUINE CAUSE, NOT JUST EFFECT?

• Rookie - 760 Points Poetry Hound (7/29/2005 7:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Obvious but essentially correct, Jerry. For a good example of how to use expletives creatively, see Jake Hassler's poem, 'The C-Bomb'

• Rookie - 760 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/29/2005 3:15:00 AM) Post reply

Exactement! Look at my poem Clean Language for guidance. Ronberge seems to approve. H

• Rookie A.p. Sweet (7/28/2005 6:37:00 PM) Post reply

Has anyone ever listened to Viggo Mortensen (The guy who played Aragorn in the Lord Of The Rings movies) poetry or ever listened to his cd's. If not I recommend getting the Beyond Baroque 2 cd at his website. The cd was put together to raise money for the Venice Arts Center in Venice California. It has some great poets on there including Viggo and Saul Williams.

• Rookie t. h. ashbury (7/28/2005 10:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hmmmn, i wonder how many of us could be troubled to post poems with 'inappropriate' words in response?

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (7/28/2005 11:13:00 AM) Post reply

Well, I got past months ago with one aimed at the poets themselves... haven't checked if it's still there...

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (7/28/2005 7:26:00 AM) Post reply

INTRODUCTION TO POETRY

by Billy Collins

I ask them to take a poem
    and hold it up to the light
    like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say dropp a mouse into a poem
    and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
    and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
    across the surface of a poem
    waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
    is tie the poem to a chair with rope
    and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
    to find out what it really means.

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (7/27/2005 9:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ronb, you're still #11 on my computer! Or you're #11 again.

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (7/27/2005 3:25:00 AM) Post reply

QUESTION: Did your father have a chef's hat when you were growing up?
    (mine did, used mostly for back yard barbecues)

• Rookie Bec W (7/27/2005 2:08:00 AM) Post reply

hello...i was wondering if there's anyone out there who knows about the Sylvia Plath journals to be released in 2013 - that is, whether they are being released then or not?

cheers,
    b.

[Hata Bildir]