Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (5/11/2005 8:19:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Wanna discuss poetry Allan?
    What if they called for a discussion and nobody came?
    You are right, Allan, incidentally did you get your computer fixed?
    Best wishes
    Herbert

• Poetry Hound (5/11/2005 6:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Good to see that Christopher Higginson has moved up the rankings even though some would claim such movement is impossible.

Replies for this message:
  • Michael Shepherd (5/11/2005 4:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Dr Herbert Nehrlich has left a massage in answer to my message somewhere on page 4 as of this morning, mentioning that he removed his poem 'Jews' as it appeared to offend some over-sensitive people with a persecution complex. Please read it and its subsequent replies, where you will note that HN promises not to visit the Forum again. Dr Nehrlich is a man of his word.

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (5/10/2005 9:30:00 PM) Post reply Stage

freedom of speech includes people being allowed to show displeasure at your work
    or to say your work is okay, i believe in people having free speech, i believe even people who are full of envy and jealousy that are mentally incomplete
    should view my work, mass murderers should view my work, people who cant spell should view my work, i use my own name for i'm not ashamed about what i write

• Poetry Hound (5/10/2005 9:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I think Chritopher Higginson is an okay poet and probably deserves a higher ranking than 452, at least for little while.

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Andy Konisberg (5/10/2005 5:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

this is someone with an over-bite:

@; -B

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (5/10/2005 5:30:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Shepherd, I left a message for you. You may share it with all your friends.
    H

• Michael Shepherd (5/10/2005 11:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Would anyone complain about 'could be improved technically' as a synonym for 'bad'? Then the onus is on the speaker to suggest how?

• Andy Konisberg (5/10/2005 1:01:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think that is a great improvement when discussing art in general, because your phrase accounts for individual taste and avoids a rather limp-wristed, blanket term...and should engender a more const ... more

• Michael Shepherd (5/10/2005 5:59:00 AM) Post reply Stage

JC, I find your question about posting poetry fascinating, requiring a very honest answer.
    I would suggest that the/a fundamental question is the value that each of us put on poetry itself irrespective of our creative position. I believe, I guess, that poetry should touch and melt the heart; that poet as Coleridge asserted 'are the unacknowledged legislators of mankind' - or could be or should be or might be; and that poetry is an activity best carried on in private by consenting adults... that, to me, deeply moving book of Pinsky's Favourite Poem Project, with its quoted tributes to the influence of a single poem in the heights and troughs of a whole lifetime, takes poetry right out of the normal scales of judgment.
    So, in brief ha ha, I would hope to post poems, of whatever degree of haste or competence, in the light of this conviction. Yes, I would bear a very approximate audience in view (you know that old statement that every writer has one person above all as their secret audience, often an old nurse or aunt...) , since I would quite like to have written a poem that brought hearts together; I would be glad if friends liked it, but even happier if strangers liked it; I would take it quite well, after an hour or two, if people made very specific comments about its form, or specific lines, or words, or the awkwardness of its diction (I've rewritten or heavily edited some as the result of such comments here, since I admit to writing straight onto screen): but if I feel that it's the best I can do on some truly worthy theme, I'm simply relieved that I've got it down at all, even if it receives the most scathing and justified response, or dead silence (as I've noticed any poem mentioning G*d tends to get...) .
    There's my first thoughts. Probably missed out the most important as usual...

• Mary Nagy (5/10/2005 5:40:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I hope you all don't mind me commenting on your 'leaving comments' topic. I leave comments on many poems. I don't feel I'm qualified to give technical advice or critiques but I do feel like letting the poet know that I've enjoyed their work. I leave comments varying from how it made me feel to simply 'Great poem'. I hope you're not saying not to...I enjoy letting people know somebody is enjoying their writing and I think most people like to know it. (At least I hope so) I am curious to hear other people voice their opinion on this because if my comments are just...a waste of time...I'd rather know it and not waste mine or anyone else's time. I for one, post for fun...if I truly wanted help with my writing I would ask a professor. But, that's just me. Interesting to hear how 'comments' are viewed.

[Hata Bildir]