Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • allan james saywell (8/16/2005 8:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

hello everybody i'm your new self appointed critic who will serve the members of this sight without fear or favour

Replies for this message:
    • Poetry Hound (8/16/2005 9:31:00 PM) Post reply

Hello Allan 'Poetry Blob' Saywell. I would say anyone who comments on a poem here is a self-appointed critic.

• Max Reif (8/16/2005 8:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Welcome, Blobbie. That's a nice, poetic name. I saw 'The Blob' when I was ten.Do you know we already have Poetry Snob? Are we gonna have Poetry Fob, Poetry Bob, Poetry Slob, etc, etc all joining us to ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (8/16/2005 10:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

i thought i'd give about 24 hours for folks to come on board with the Corpse Poem, so here we go.

we'll make it topical. 'Emily Dickenson's Breasts' seems to be the topic of choice. each poet will compose a five line stanza. i will PM each of you when your turn comes with one (1) line from the preceding poet for you to start your stanza off. please reply back to me with your stanza and i'll move it along.

if you have any burning questions, just shoot.

• Michael Shepherd (8/16/2005 10:17:00 AM) Post reply

My assessment is: there are three factors here. One is that PH has shortened its post-it time (though not always): second, it seems to have created two log-in streams, one for home page, one for posting; and third, whenever a server gets near being taken over by a bigger server, it's probably because of overloading and lacking the resources to expand. Right now, wanadoo which took over freeserve, which was getting worse and worse, asks for a redial sometimes every 20 seconds at peak times. So one sometimes can't get (because of the redial pending) back to what was going on before. AAAARGH.
    Put the three together and life's a bit... (Redial pending) ... ch.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/16/2005 4:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Off subject. Anyone having a lot of problems with the system asking for e-mail and password every few minutes. It's happening to me and it will lose my poems (freshly 'created') every time. Though I follow the advice now (was it Michael?) and save them after typing.
    Is it just me or is the system experiencing problems?
    Thanks for any volunteer answers.
    H

• Max Reif (8/16/2005 8:22:00 AM) Post reply

Everything always works like a charm (sorry for the cliche', let me change that to 'works like a nose'!) for me here except they still don't dropp the double 'p', usually. My e-mail program keeps ask ... more

• Gol Mcadam (8/16/2005 6:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Have you tried typing the poems on a word processor then 'Cut & Paste' to Poemhunter? It cuts down the time online.

• Richard George (8/16/2005 5:23:00 AM) Post reply

I've had not quite the same problem. On occasion there's only a limited time to type poems in. One longer poem of mine required *eight* attempts and extensive tugging of hair follicles. Thank the Lord ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/16/2005 4:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hunter-gatherers, backbiters, sinful and damned charitably included: two small matters.
    Do you ever read the supposedly poetry-related headlines on the home Page - like Nikki Giovanni's sister laid to rest (!) ... but sometimes they're really of interest. Usually they add a sign-up. But the current Kentucky item (third from bottom today) wants your sign-up first. This is tiresome - they just lead to more spam offers from 'associates'. I suggest we complain to PH when deprived of these riveting items by commercial stupidity...

Second, has anyone ever contributed to the Academy's poets.org website for offerings? Naturally I'm not eligible even if, but I wondered if it contains any quality work.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Angela Hansard (8/15/2005 10:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

To all of you who are making fun of Bob Gotti, just remember that you are making fun of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.Because this is who Bob is writing about. May the Lord have mercy on your souls.If you all do not turn your life around your souls are bound for Hell. Bob is doing his part in getting the message out there to the non believers and trying to turn them around and see the light of Jesus. Frankly there needs to be more poets like Bob.Soleave him alone. Go back to backbitting each other like you usually do.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Lamont Palmer (8/17/2005 11:06:00 AM) Post reply

Better late than never. Peter got it late too, but Jesus didnt hold it against him. I came back to say I support this statement. Thanks for this Angie.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Matthew Pearson (8/16/2005 10:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Addendum. It is only people's fascination with me that drew them back here. Mr. Hound, some the paraphrased cliches were from 'Casablanca' you dumbski. Not high art, but well-known popular culture. Ms ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (8/16/2005 10:13:00 AM) Post reply

Angela, did you just say that Bob Gotti is Jesus Christ?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/15/2005 10:22:00 PM) Post reply

Angel, it was predictable that you would ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (8/15/2005 7:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

well, hello fellow PoemHunters! i'd come out of my weekend coma to find an Inbox inundated with requests for another Exquisite Corpse. i'm all up for coordinating and organizing it. i guess the only thing to decide is our approach! if you want to participate, please dropp me a line. i'll start putting together a line-up.

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Ann Spencer (8/15/2005 6:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Michael, re. 'Fantasia For Francis'. Thanks but you are the reader. What I meant is not at issue, rather it's what it meant to you that matters. So, if you don't mind, I would rather you did launch into a spiel about why it's 'unsuccessful'.

• Michael Shepherd (8/15/2005 5:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Maty, your spirited defence and justification somehow reminded me of Sinatra singing 'I did it my way'... but I think Poetry Snob - although perhaps he or she lacks Jefferson's exquisite tact - does have a point. I'd say your basic error if error it was, was in choosing a metaphoric or allegorical framework for some powerful and extended thought on Justice; so that 'straight' comment overloaded with its enthusiasm the framework. I believe that you could write a very powerful poem on Justice without the metaphorical basis, which would carry the reader better. Extended metaphor has to be kept very tightly and succinctly within itself to be effective, I would suggest. If I added 'too clever by half' as a common comment, it would be in relation to the reader's reception rather than an ad hominem jibe, which as you know we deplore in this site of opinionated poetry snobs... and I'll forgive you on grounds of assumed juvenility, of spelling my name wrong a few times. Actually, the wheel is a more powerful symbol than the wagon in some contexts such as this, since it evokes movement rather than being carried. I think it could stay in some places; 'wagon' gets into the 'machinery of state' area.
    As evidently as scorpion among scorpions, you're welcome to this cosy nest of vipers...you could take a swipe at some of our poems ho ho. I'm AJS would agree. Just don't start with his...

• Rookie - 1st Stage Maty Grosman (8/15/2005 9:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thank you, Michael, for your replay. I must admit that your remark is very interesting; I'll have to give it some thought. The biggest problem I faced was the fact that after I identified the metap ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/15/2005 6:13:00 AM) Post reply

I think the only thing that could save this poem is the establishment (horror) of a smoothly flowing rhyme, something that any framework will easily carry. Obviously, it must be done by the Rhyme Po ... more

• Allan James Saywell (8/15/2005 3:02:00 AM) Post reply

to maty well said you certainly told that theatre actor poetry snob that your not just a pretty face i dont no wether he will understand you though
    you appear to have his measure if he said something nasty he likes you

[Hata Bildir]