Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • t. h. ashbury (6/17/2005 10:55:00 PM) Post reply

gentlemen, really...

on a separate note, what is the status of our exquisite corpse? curious. salut.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/17/2005 7:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

at the risk of passing the buck...

since you're moderating this one, Andrew, i'll leave the rules of engagement up to you. i see the moderator like a card dealer, deal the game and the rest of us play it.

if the last half of a line makes it easier, i'm all for it. one important thing we should bear in mind is that Exquisite Corpse is a game - that's all. nobody expects it to be a masterpiece. the Corpses my writing groups compose are rather absurd. it's virtually anonymous, too. nobody but the moderator knows exactly who is participating or who wrote what, so there's little risk of embarrassment there. it is meant to be a fun exercise to do with friends for laughs.

ultimately, i am glad to see us all coming together on this. :)
    we're composing, compromising, and all working together. a far cry from the way things were just a month or so ago. i am anxious to see how our Corpse turns out.

Jake

Replies for this message:
    • Poetry Hound (6/17/2005 10:22:00 AM) Post reply

I think it will be more fun to see who contributed which lines. If anyone wants to remain anonymous, that's fine and they can let Andrew know.

• Andrew Konisberg (6/17/2005 8:59:00 AM) Post reply

we have a few more people who have offered to contribute, Jake. everybody seems to be joining in with the spirit of fun.

• Laura Cummings (6/17/2005 7:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

ok people, ive submitted a new poem and tried to follow your advice.... ive heard Michael's opinion.. wot are yours?

• Andrew Konisberg (6/17/2005 7:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Laura, what is the poem called? and would you be interested in joining a game were playing on the forum where whoever wants to writes 2 lines (8-14 words) when I send them the last half of some ... more

• Andrew Konisberg (6/16/2005 3:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

listen, to allay fears, I'll add to the lines so everybody can do 2 each and I'll give them the last half-line...I know this a modification but I think it is a better idea...I've only ever played the game with four lines before...if this is okay with you Jake...a compromise between 'the warring parties' (to paraphrase His Homeynence III.) a contributor has kindly agreed to write two lines and thus, I will message everyone else when I send them their last half-line to do the same: -) a more conducive technique to start out with, I think.

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 5:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Doesn't sound like a good compromise to me...

• ***** ***** (6/16/2005 5:02:00 PM) Post reply

I would like to be involved.. my muse has gone on holidays so it will be harder for me than in recent times.. but that does not take away from my interest. I am a little cautious, but I see others ar ... more

• kenneth william snow (6/16/2005 10:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

IMHO...I don't believe the last word of the line is sufficient...I'd like to see a phrase or half a line at least..This can give us some insight into meter and content...Better chance to get a more fluent poem...

IMHO
    kenneth

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 12:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Aha, Kenneth! nice point. The surrealists, who thrived on non-sequiturs and the more bizarre the better, would have been happy with this last-word process. The old 19th century 'Consequences' played m ... more

• Poetry Hound (6/16/2005 11:13:00 AM) Post reply

I agree with you, Kenneth, but it sounds like it's already off and running. Maybe we can try your way next time. I suspect with this one-word approach we'll end up with a list of nonsequitors.

• Andrew Konisberg (6/16/2005 9:16:00 AM) Post reply

I will not mention in what order I am approaching poets to contribute to our game, as Jake pointed out that it will be more fun to guess...needless to say, I've already mentioned that Michael has composed line 1 and I've approached Allan to write line 2...other than that, I'll just comment sporadically as to how things are going...I'll give everybody a cut-off point to contribute their line and if they miss the e-mail but still want to contribute (and the poem is still running) it just means they'll be farther down the list, that's all. for the record, Allan's cut-off point is 5 P.M. Poemhunter time and then I'll approach the next poet. and I will work that way with everybody who contributes...thus, the poem may take a few days to get finished but everybody will get a chance to write.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/16/2005 7:58:00 AM) Post reply

all we go by is the final word of the previous line, given to us by Andrew. everything else will be unseen/unknown.

• Poetry Hound (6/16/2005 7:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Let me get this straight. We submit a single line of any length and meter, and all we have to go on are the final words of all the previous lines, right?

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 10:10:00 AM) Post reply

Andy says 8-14 words to the line - it look better on PH screen within that line-length?

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/16/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply

OUTSTANDING! thanks for stepping up and moderating, Andrew! you beat me to it. i hope everybody agrees to participate. starting small is an excellent suggestion. put me down as the final contributor. i'm up to the challenge. :)

in case any other Hunter stumbles across this Forum and wants to join in on the Corpse, this isn't an exclusive club so feel free. be sure to let Andrew know you want in.

Jake

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 6:37:00 AM) Post reply

A posting of mine got lost just now: to say, forget the 4th line thing - if you remember you're the 4th,8th,12th,16th 'poster', and want to close the verse, so be it... it's just I noticed that on screen, four-line verses of whatever are more assimilable to the eye...

We could get like city yuppies - adjusting our sleeping hours to the 24-hour clock...

[Hata Bildir]