Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • ***** ***** (6/14/2005 11:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Personally, I feel that if any poet says they are truly 'developed' then they are at a loss.. we are all learning and we will hopefully always be learning. It is only an arrogant (and a misguided) writer who thinks he/she is 'accomplished'. There really is no such thing. If a writer is guided by life and life is about constant change then noone is ever a fully fledged writer. We watch change and we write about it, wherein we change ourselves.

Replies for this message:
    • Richard George (6/16/2005 2:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I concur. I'm going through a period of finding out poems I wrote and rated highly 5 or 10 years ago are not as good as I thought. The important thing is not to be despondent and throw them away, but ... more

• ***** ***** (6/14/2005 10:36:00 PM) Post reply

I actually do think if someone hates ones work that they should have a voice... but voice it.. no to votes and yes to voices. If someone dislikes your work then they can say it for sure, but I encourage the old dame of 'constructive criticism' not just phenaw phenaw.. but real critique. Anyone interested? And Mister Saywell... when you want to say something silly, can you go to the back of the class please....

• Allan James Saywell (6/14/2005 10:35:00 PM) Post reply

sonja please tell me you are talking about a different allan, you seem obsessed
    with the idea that i am everywhere even in your soup

• David Zvekic (6/14/2005 9:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Who thinks there should be a way to post a review ANONYMOUSLY?
    That way you can actually post a scathing critique without feeling self concious about it.

I also propose the author of the poem have the power to delet any such anonymous reviews - so as to allow themselves the chance to read them and then fix their
    poem without having a permanent stigma attached.

• Andrew Konisberg (6/15/2005 5:40:00 AM) Post reply

you can critique anonymously by going to 'my profiles' and changing your name. you will still be able to post as 'David Zvekic', only your name for leaving forum comments and poetry comments will be c ... more

• Andrew Konisberg (6/14/2005 7:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

...oh yes, and if anybody ever wants to leave some scathing comments/ critiques upon my poetry, feel free to do so. I am sincerely flattered that anybody would read anything I wrote. Changing tack, any thoughts on the curtal sonnet? I am taking a break for a bit but I will attempt a few when I return. I am trying to study sonnet forms and I think I could do something with the curtal sonnet...even though it seems to be treated as a curiosity piece. I've read some of Hopkins' curtal sonnets in the last couple of days...any thoughts?

• t. h. ashbury (6/14/2005 7:43:00 PM) Post reply

scathing critiques and commentaries seem to be rare here, although i would tend to agree, tell me what you think, don't read my work and rate it a 1... not because i entirely internalize that #, altho ... more

• ***** ***** (6/14/2005 6:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

sorry Andrea, but I do remember coming across you a while ago.. and wasn't your name Allan then?

• Andrew Konisberg (6/14/2005 7:13:00 PM) Post reply

Sonja, are you suggesting that it is Allan and not Andrea that has a boyfriend? I find that to be a disturbing development; -)

• Michael Shepherd (6/14/2005 5:28:00 AM) Post reply

OK, let's take Jefferson up on this, in the most positive way.
    I say that Laura Cummings, at her age, is exactly the sort of person poemhunter is for, and whom we should be encouraging creatively. She has concern (read her two little time-bombs on sex abuse) and some serious material to deal with. She is working to make poetry of this. My advice to her on the poem she says 'Lamont hates' is that having written the 'material' she should now try to write a version of the poem as poetry. It just might teach her a lot about turning 'material' into a deeper 'content' within a poem.

She's just the sort of person, I say, who needs intelligent comment. And she's tough enough to take what we might throw at her, so she say, lol!

But in the end, whatever we say, just keep posting, Laura - it's for the readers to decide whether what you write is what they want to read...

• Andrew Konisberg (6/13/2005 10:21:00 PM) Post reply

okay. I have decided not to leave a mark on poets' works from this point on. I will only leave a comment on a work that has caused me to remark upon it. I would encourage anyone that that reads my work NOT to leave a mark but all comments are gratefully appreciated. I've never liked marking other people's poems anyway because I think it is a bit insulting to the poet's intelligence whose work I'm reading. there are a few people here who only leave comments anyway...so, I say, anybody that would care to join the 'comments-only' approach to do so. thus 1/10's become entirely irrelevant. I've just looked and I'm on a reasonable average rating-per-poem.I will willingly let that rating slide to 0.1 by encouraging people NOT to mark me but simply leave a comment upon one of my poems if they liked it. thus, anybody who quibbles about the churlishness of numerical ratings (with fair reason) can join me in calling others not to numerically grade their work and offer comments instead. then we will see who will 'put their money where their mouth is'.

• David Zvekic (6/13/2005 10:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Is this the correct forum to actually discuss poemhunter.com itself?

I would think no. But there is no other forum more appropriate that I can tell.

With such a forum the administrators could more easily determine how to
    improve this sight rather than rely on meaningless polls.

• Michael Shepherd (6/14/2005 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

David, info@poemhunter.com gets daily feedback from around the world, which is often answered directly. Or you could air your suggestions here?

• Michael Shepherd (6/13/2005 9:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sonja, I've just checked 'First Kiss' which has 33 ratings but no hits on the actual poem... now that's seriously weird! Such a readily recognisable situation you've described too. But whatever your individual ratings, your page-visit stats are doing fine? Anyone any clues? Sue Casey, you're the expert on this situation?

To read all of 1 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]