Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (8/6/2005 7:21:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Max, PS, Sherrie, thanks for the recommendations. I've just read Denise Levertov's lengthy poem-essay on the poetic line in free verse, which is magnificently clear and which my intuition instantly gnosed. She says some memorable things.

Marjorie Perloff (Googleable) has an extensive survey of the theory and practice.

I can't find any excerpt from Hartman; I guess it's Amazon and £/$ 10 plus...

Eliot's Glasgow lecture on The Music of Poetry ought to be interesting since he was the distinguished exponent of Laforgue's and Pound's principles of free verse; but it's not in the first Selected Essays.

Replies for this message:
    • Max Reif (8/7/2005 10:13:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I can't find that on online. It's in a collection, 'On Poetry and Poets', published in 1957. 'The Sacred Wood', on the other hand, is almost all online at: http: //www.bartleby.com/200/. Eliot was ... more

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (8/5/2005 7:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Oh, Herbert, you are your own best enemy! ! ! Your silly poem proves my point, 'infantile'/'bile' indeed! You go, girl! ! ! Can you rhyme 'girl' and 'curl'? Oops, gave it away! Dang, there goes another chance for you to join the immortals. P-Snob

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/5/2005 9:15:00 PM) Post reply Stage

As my best enemy I value the caliber of my opponent. Beats going up against a limp washrag any day. And here I thought envy had left the forum... : -))

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (8/5/2005 12:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Ill skip it too. When I start rhyming, Silverstein creeps in with a little bit of Ogden Nash and Dr. Suess. Some poeple on this site thrill to this kind of stuff, I find it infantile and boring. Herbert, you go, boy! ! P-Snob

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/5/2005 4:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

The infantile word 'infantile' brings up in me a bit of bile. The other word (he called it boring) reminds me of him never scoring in posting something vaguely pleasant though I enjoy the title ... more

• Max Reif (8/5/2005 8:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I missed it; what's the competition?

• Michael Shepherd (8/5/2005 6:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Alas, no time
    for line-end rhyme,
    no hope
    of trope,
    no commandment
    of enjambment,
    only dimmily
    aware of simile,
    and none the better for
    the use of metaphor;
    and don't speak meutsch
    of Pennsylvania Deutsch..

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/5/2005 6:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

The first time I have come across someone knowing that it is not Pennsylvania Dutch but Deutsch. It's almost like it's and its, a few more years and the rules get changed and it won't matter. It look ... more

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (8/4/2005 12:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Jefferson and Lamont, Im going to post a new poem, its about Richard III working out in a health club, and you two dont need to read it or comment on it. Your both too critical and to paraphrase Herbert not broadminded enough. Also Herbert dont you read it either. You have too much fun ridiculing others poetry even though Id rather have you slam my poem than praise it, then I knw its pretty good. P-Snob

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/4/2005 4:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Thank you for inviting me. And no, it isn't. Definitely not. Maybe next time. H

• Michael Shepherd (8/4/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Now I've read it - it would make a good stand-up sketch for the comedy circuit if you expanded it.

• Michael Shepherd (8/4/2005 1:24:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Sounds like a limited Summer Discontent Offer to me, but I guess it's good for backs that have gone crook...or poets with weak knees or lily livers... c'mon, PS - into the cannon's mouth, live up to y ... more

• Max Reif (8/4/2005 9:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Is it fair to use italics in a poem for emphasis?
    Or should a poet be able to nuance his words without resorting to such things?

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Jerry Hughes (8/4/2005 12:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

greetings Herbert, sounds rather odd the whole thing. You shouldn't be asked for a password to submit a poem, cos you're already a member. Try without a password and see waht happens. Apropos retrieval in situ, like Sergeant Shultz, I know nothing! Cheers, Jerry

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/4/2005 3:25:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Jerry, without exaggeration, it was one of my top poems. I am still a bit furious. So I did sit down and wrote the gist from memory, I had to struggle as it is almost impossible to write a poem the se ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/3/2005 9:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Question: I jusdt typed a poem into the Submit A New Poem site. When clicking submit, the system asked me for password. When I went back to the poem it was gone. Any chance of retrieval?
    Thanks for any help
    H

• Michael Shepherd (8/4/2005 5:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

As one who rewrote the same longish poem three times - if you type the poem in rather than paste it, the new shorter time allowed by both servers on overload, and the site's mechanism itself, can be a ... more

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (8/3/2005 5:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Lamont, you really hurt my feelings. I read that Corpse poem after I had my weekly bath (which I take whether I need it or not) . I did feel slimed on as if I was in the presence of a misshapen, monstrous spitting baby. Im sorry Im so sensitive. You should try a little harder to curb your personal attacks on poetic hygene. Im sure your funky sometimes, yes? But I forgive you. P-Snob

• Michael Shepherd (8/4/2005 4:20:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I don't quite get this discussion. You know the rules for that game of Cadavre?

[Hata Bildir]