Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 10:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Thanks a million to especially Sheila, Mahnaz, Mary, Michael and &&&&&&&&&
    it was the solution. It's working again. I had a friend come over with a program that deletes cookies. He put the program on while we both munched some Fig Newtons........and had a couple of VB Bitter beers.
    Also thanks to Allan, who is always there as well when the Help sign comes from this end.
    It's good to know that people take the time to smell the roses, eat cookies and delet them where necessary.
    H

Replies for this message:
    • Max Reif (8/22/2005 12:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

happy to have you all here again, Herbert!

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 10:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Also many thanks to Aaron and Kenneth.. Good info for the future. Best wishes Herbert

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

I do not want to hijack the forum but I am still on the excluded list.
    Cannot access any poems. Sheila Knowles suggested I get rid of all the cookies on my computer.
    How on earth do you do that? I thought cookies were something like oatmeal or Oreo or Fig Newtons////
    Help!
    H

• A.p. Sweet (8/21/2005 7:10:00 PM) Post reply Stage

oh ya by the way fig newtons or not cookies they are fruited cake.

• Ali Khorvash (8/21/2005 2:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hello every body.
    I have published my FIRST poem on poem hunter.
    its my first experience in writing a poem.
    would you please read it and tell your idea?
    its named: You are mine.
    thanks...
    Ali Khorvash

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 4:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Welcome, Ali! I see there are already 5 or 6 comments under your poem, I bet even more are on the way...

• Michael Shepherd (8/21/2005 8:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

OK guys, in keeping with the new code of conduct, I'm announcing the birth of a new poem. It came unannounced and interrupted lunch, and since it was 'oned' by some reader of discrimination within two minutes of posting, there's nothing you can say... I'm not even sure I'm its father, anyway...

• Raynette Eitel (8/21/2005 11:57:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Everyone ought to read this. It is contemporary, upbeat, and very very funny. Raynette

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

by the way, I think you might be able to vote many times...for other people's poems, of course, not your own. But we can always make 'deals'! ...

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 10:06:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Maybe you should do the MUSIC next time & find a lyricist...JOKE! I've got ya up to 6.7. We can have a telethon to pull your sagging score up to the ceiling! Hell, up to the sky! I enjoyed the poe ... more

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 9:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Michael, we're ALL one!

• Michael Shepherd (8/21/2005 4:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

I can get your poems, Herbert.I rather liked no.1116.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 5:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I just went to Complete Classic.com and all my poems are accessible there, the sites are related and very similar. So it really cannot be my computer, right? H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 5:31:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I don't know which is number 1116 but thanks for saying so. I have also tried to access my poems through Google, all I get is a blank page. I vaguely remember Sandra Osborne having a similar problem s ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 1:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Is anyone having the same problem......no poems, just blank pages visible?
    H

• Raynette Eitel (8/21/2005 11:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Everything is coming through just fine for me. Some pages ought to be blank, however, but that's another subject. Raynette

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 9:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Ah, the Blank Page Poems! There's a Chinese novel entitled MONKEY (it's in an English translation by Arthur Waley) , about someone who goes on a dangerous quest fo a sacred scripture that tells the ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/20/2005 6:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Background to Sophie Hannah from your inhouse sleuth: the Arts Council in GB has promoted since 1994, with 'arms-length' state funds and Andrew Motion's judgment,20 'New Generation' poets every so often, of whom Sophie Hannah is one of the three considered to be already 'well-known'. She tours abroad lecturing and reciting for the British Council, which is indirectly connected by personal contact and influence to the Arts Council. She is considered a sharp humourist in her verse. She has written two novels and children's books (she's a Dr Seuss fan) .
    You can download an Adobe pdf from poetrybooksonline with cvs and representative poems from the 20. I was bored and appalled at the lot, but perhaps it's sheer professional jealousy. Fellow Brits may know more; conspiracy theories flourish as you might expect.

• Richard George (8/20/2005 1:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I attended a poetry reading by Super Soph at the Festival Hall some years back and had the honour of her signature. She's a very clever iambic humourist, reminiscent at her best of Hilaire Belloc, but ... more

• Gol Mcadam (8/20/2005 6:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Thanks for the comments on 'Norbert Dentressangle Van'. Don't know who said it - it's probably something I overheard in the pub (must stop eavesdropping) . I have only recently started with poetry and have a singular ignorance of what's what in the poetry world. I hope that joining PH might remedy this. Yes, I'm in UK and might come up with more daft queries before I'm finished: -)

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (8/19/2005 7:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Gol, As we say in America, 'say what? ' This Hannah poem is the voice of 21st century poetry? Who told you that? Mr. Hannah? Well, maybe in UK it is (where are you from?) but it sounds more like the voice of early 20th century verse or specifically a flashy Stevie Smith. But well done. But not new in the least.
    I hope this isnt Englands (or wherevers) idea of the direction poetry SHOULD be heading. Snob

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Gol Mcadam (8/19/2005 1:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Does anyone feel they can comment on Sophie Hannah's 'The Norbert Dentressangle Van'? I know it has been hailed as a harbinger of 21st century poetry but wondered why. Thanks.

• Michael Shepherd (8/20/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Further research suggests that the 'New Generation' poets tend to be performers of their own poetry - which means that a certain slackness in the language can be covered by the performance. It does su ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/19/2005 5:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Omygod she RHYMES... well that's put paid to any chance of fame in the US this last fifty years...oh she's made it to the PH 500 list years ago...yes but with what? a neatly turned standard 'bloody me ... more

[Hata Bildir]