like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say dropp a mouse into a poem
    and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
    and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
    across the surface of a poem
    waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
    is tie the poem to a chair with rope
    and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
    to find out what it really means.

• Max Reif (7/27/2005 9:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ronb, you're still #11 on my computer! Or you're #11 again.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Max Reif (7/27/2005 3:25:00 AM) Post reply

QUESTION: Did your father have a chef's hat when you were growing up?
    (mine did, used mostly for back yard barbecues)

• Bec W (7/27/2005 2:08:00 AM) Post reply

hello...i was wondering if there's anyone out there who knows about the Sylvia Plath journals to be released in 2013 - that is, whether they are being released then or not?

cheers,
    b.

• allan james saywell (7/27/2005 12:44:00 AM) Post reply

at last we know what saywell looks like there is a photo of him in his
    photo album he looks rather hairy, but well dressed

• Michael Shepherd (7/26/2005 7:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

For me, the great thing about this website is that it acts simply as a spur to write, knowing that it will usually be read. Just that. So more gets written. That's terrific. I'm hopelessly competitive, but mostly with myself - I feel that there's a huge potential for poetry which is of universal value, out there - not *my* potential or ability to tap it, but very much there. So it's always going to be myself as ultimate and most severe critic.
    Yes, I like to have feedback; praise; best of all, encouragement. But I also know from experience with the sonnets, that as footballers say, 'you make your own luck' - the more you write, the better you get at writing what wants to be said. That's the best thing of all, and it goes way beyond the critics.
    But I personally never mind 'pretentious' criticism, because as we say in teaching, 'a report is also a report on the reporter'...

• sheila knowles (7/28/2005 4:16:00 PM) Post reply

strange that nobody responded to this message...maybe it's a bit late and not very profound but I agree with just about everything you said...really, I couldn't have put it better myself, so I'm not e ... more

• Max Reif (7/26/2005 8:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

DREAMS: Anyone work from dreams much? I was writing a poem, or having one dictated to me, in a dream on waking this morning. Every line started with the same phrase, 'The far side of the stars...'
    The only line I remember is:
    'The far side of the stars sees clouds in only One.'

I don't know if I'll ever use that line, or if it's really healthy for me to post my dreams in a collective Forum. Maybe doing so will move the level of intimacy here to where we're all posting our dreams and working in a very deep mode together...

• Richard George (7/26/2005 2:21:00 PM) Post reply

I've used material which has floated into my head in a half-awake half-asleep state (which psychologists call 'hypnopompic' or 'hypnagogic') . It's often nonsensical but imbued with a strange power. I ... more

• Michael Shepherd (7/26/2005 10:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's said that waking dreams are prophetic. Max, may I borrow that line if I alter it a little? 'The far side of the clouds...' And Marcy - my only mild revenge on tsunami-posters is to read only ... more

• Gol Mcadam (7/26/2005 8:29:00 AM) Post reply

Coincidence. I have just posted one of my nightmares! : -)

• the legend (7/25/2005 7:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

anyone watch HBO, russel simmons presents def poetry? its a great show and incourage everyone on this site to watch i watch it for inspiration.

• Jerry Hughes (7/25/2005 4:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

after all that all I can say is - 'Jesus love me, this I know. So does ragtime cowboy, Joe. Cheers all, Jerry

• Robert Rorabeck (7/25/2005 12:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Has anyone here read the Stephen King editorial that you can link to from Poem Hunter's main page? I really liked what Mr. King had to say and how he said it-that he was so possitive (even when I am so often negative on society.... I was one of the adults that stood in line after midnight to get the next Harry Potter book, which I finished the following day.)

To read all of 1 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]