Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (8/21/2005 4:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

I can get your poems, Herbert.I rather liked no.1116.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 5:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I just went to Complete Classic.com and all my poems are accessible there, the sites are related and very similar. So it really cannot be my computer, right? H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 5:31:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I don't know which is number 1116 but thanks for saying so. I have also tried to access my poems through Google, all I get is a blank page. I vaguely remember Sandra Osborne having a similar problem s ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/21/2005 1:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Is anyone having the same problem......no poems, just blank pages visible?
    H

• Raynette Eitel (8/21/2005 11:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Everything is coming through just fine for me. Some pages ought to be blank, however, but that's another subject. Raynette

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 9:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Ah, the Blank Page Poems! There's a Chinese novel entitled MONKEY (it's in an English translation by Arthur Waley) , about someone who goes on a dangerous quest fo a sacred scripture that tells the ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/20/2005 6:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Background to Sophie Hannah from your inhouse sleuth: the Arts Council in GB has promoted since 1994, with 'arms-length' state funds and Andrew Motion's judgment,20 'New Generation' poets every so often, of whom Sophie Hannah is one of the three considered to be already 'well-known'. She tours abroad lecturing and reciting for the British Council, which is indirectly connected by personal contact and influence to the Arts Council. She is considered a sharp humourist in her verse. She has written two novels and children's books (she's a Dr Seuss fan) .
    You can download an Adobe pdf from poetrybooksonline with cvs and representative poems from the 20. I was bored and appalled at the lot, but perhaps it's sheer professional jealousy. Fellow Brits may know more; conspiracy theories flourish as you might expect.

• Richard George (8/20/2005 1:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I attended a poetry reading by Super Soph at the Festival Hall some years back and had the honour of her signature. She's a very clever iambic humourist, reminiscent at her best of Hilaire Belloc, but ... more

• Gol Mcadam (8/20/2005 6:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Thanks for the comments on 'Norbert Dentressangle Van'. Don't know who said it - it's probably something I overheard in the pub (must stop eavesdropping) . I have only recently started with poetry and have a singular ignorance of what's what in the poetry world. I hope that joining PH might remedy this. Yes, I'm in UK and might come up with more daft queries before I'm finished: -)

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (8/19/2005 7:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Gol, As we say in America, 'say what? ' This Hannah poem is the voice of 21st century poetry? Who told you that? Mr. Hannah? Well, maybe in UK it is (where are you from?) but it sounds more like the voice of early 20th century verse or specifically a flashy Stevie Smith. But well done. But not new in the least.
    I hope this isnt Englands (or wherevers) idea of the direction poetry SHOULD be heading. Snob

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Gol Mcadam (8/19/2005 1:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Does anyone feel they can comment on Sophie Hannah's 'The Norbert Dentressangle Van'? I know it has been hailed as a harbinger of 21st century poetry but wondered why. Thanks.

• Michael Shepherd (8/20/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Further research suggests that the 'New Generation' poets tend to be performers of their own poetry - which means that a certain slackness in the language can be covered by the performance. It does su ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/19/2005 5:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Omygod she RHYMES... well that's put paid to any chance of fame in the US this last fifty years...oh she's made it to the PH 500 list years ago...yes but with what? a neatly turned standard 'bloody me ... more

• Poetry Hound (8/18/2005 11:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

The thing I admire most about Amberlee Carter's poetry is the seeming effortlessness of her original imagery. Sometimes I read a poem by someone and admire it although I think the images, while original, are ponderous or forced or too self-conscious. Amberlee's images fit right into the flow. They seem effortless

• Max Reif (8/19/2005 6:35:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I've enjoyed some of Amberlee's poems. I've found some stunning things in them. At least, they stunned me.

• Gol Mcadam (8/19/2005 1:31:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Amberlee is a young person with a poetic turn of phrase. I agree with Michael, she could have the makings of a good poet but maturity will be the key here.

• Michael Shepherd (8/19/2005 12:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I had stopped reading Amberlee, feeling that her poetry was all about Amberlee and love, and more for her own age-group to appreciate; but reading 'Swing-Sets' I feel that there's the making of a genu ... more

• Poetry Hound (8/19/2005 11:58:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Well, that's interesting. I wasn't reall ... more

• allan james saywell (8/18/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

WELL FORCED RHYME FOR ME IS WHEN MY MOTHER USED TO STAND OVER ME WITH A BIG STICK AND MAKE ME RECITE NURSERY RHYMES

• Michael Shepherd (8/18/2005 4:03:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Dear sinners against the fair name of Poetry -

two things:

a) there's a facility on the Home Page for telling PH it's too slow;

b) you can make yourself an Adobe e-book so that your poems don't disappear into cyberspace forever like happened last year.

and -take care out there!

• Pradeep Dhavakumar (8/18/2005 4:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Hi All,

I have two questions on which I need your guidance/suggestions.

1) On forced rhymes: Apart from sentence inversion what else is forced rhyme? I understand something like uncommon paring of words like I revolved is considered forced, but I revolved still does make sense. And I don’t understand why a creative medium like poetry is disallowed to create new pairs. And also what is forced for one may not be forced for another. In that case there is no CLEAR definition for forced rhyme. Am I right in my understanding?

2) About the tense: When you write about the past, what is the best tense to write in? Could I write about the past in present tense without giving a clue to the reader that it is about the past? Like can I write now, I sit on my mother’s lap listening to the brave adventures of Tarzan. In what tense are childhood/past poems normally done?

Thanks,
    Pradeep.D

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/19/2005 6:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Even partial sentence inversion is acceptable if 'supported' by its 'justification', say an especially funny line or similar.I think you are correct that there can not be a clear definition, it all co ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/18/2005 4:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

On past tenses: so few children in some countries (Britain and Argentina for a start) are actually taught grammar rather than usage these days, that ESL teachers find themselves having to waste much t ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]