Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 324 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (10/23/2005 9:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Good Sunday morning forum foragers. An interesting thing came up yesterday. In the middle of writing [Quarantine], one of my sons called. I read what I had written up to that point to him. He asked me if I couldn’t write it in plainer language. He said he understood what I had just read to him but that he was tempted to pull out a dictionary – which he wouldn’t take the time to do. When I told him that I purposely used that language, he asked me who I was writing for – a few ‘literary people’ or ‘the rest us’.
    My son is an intelligent 30 yr. old. (who moved to Seattle with his dad when he was almost 15 and switched from private to public school) and he said his friends would not understand the language and definitely would not pull out a dictionary. This reminded me of when I worked at O’Hare Airport as a food service supervisor and I had to seriously ‘dumb down’ the language I was using because my employees did not understand what I was asking them to do. Some of them were foreign nationals but most of them were not.

This begets the questions:

Who are you writing for?

and

What is the state of the school systems in the US that our children and their children do not have a better command of the English language or at least the desire to continue to educate themselves as adults?

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 324 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (10/23/2005 11:01:00 AM) Post reply

Generally, poems just seem to come to me and I am compelled to write them down. I don’t consciously write for an audience, but often I feel as if I’m speaking to ‘someone’ and sometimes I do have a s ... more

• Rookie - 324 Points Max Reif (10/23/2005 9:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

What a wonderful question, Alice! Well stated, too. And, it makes me think. My first thought: I don't write for an audience, I write to express a certain specific something, however it needs to be ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (10/23/2005 8:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

For those that have a picture on their bio...........How do you do it? I have a digital camera but it seems the pictures are too big (at least thats what it seems it's telling me) ......how do you get a picture that fits here? Any info. will be appreciated. Thanks! Mary

• Rookie Ernestine Northover (10/23/2005 11:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Mary, you could go onto the internet and download a programme called 'Infanview' which is brilliant. You can resize your photos and images and even change the colour of your images, it's fantastic. ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Rookie - 760 Points Jerry Hughes (10/23/2005 3:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Movers, those who did it against the garden fence; and Shakers, I have this pang of nostalgia to pass on this personal philosophy in verse. Believe me, nothing could be verse than that:

I love life, and life loves me.
    I'm as happy as one could be.
    A happier man nowhere exsists.
    The time has come to slash my wrists.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (10/22/2005 5:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

please someone, what does 'gorilla dust' mean?

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (10/22/2005 9:59:00 PM) Post reply

i'v written a short poem on it mister Sheperd i hope it enlightens you i used to spend many hours as a growing child in trees with my young friend's i always ensured i was in the highest branches as ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (10/22/2005 5:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Google to the rescure, Michael! gorilla dust n. bluffing, posturing, or hollow attempts at intimidation. Categories: English Animals Politics Etymological Note: The 1998 quote accurately descr ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (10/22/2005 5:57:00 PM) Post reply

to whom? (It might mean one thing to you and me, something quite different to a gorilla)

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (10/22/2005 12:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

hi all,

any of you Poets and Hunters familiar with Garland Jeffreys?

• Rookie Max Reif (10/22/2005 3:45:00 PM) Post reply

Yeah, don't want you to feel ignored, Jacob, but I'm not either. (There, doesn't it feel good to be acknowledged twice, even with 2 'nos'?)

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (10/22/2005 2:42:00 PM) Post reply

Nor he with me. Happens so often. Tell all.

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (10/22/2005 10:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

LOL! I always wondered how pseudonyms work and now I know thanks to one of today's 'Healines'!

Booker Prize author to use pseudonym

LONDON, Oct.21 (UPI) - Instead of capitalizing on his Booker Prize win, Irish author John Banville is going to publish his next novel under a pseudonym.

Banville won the prestigious prize last week for his novel 'The Sea.'

But he's not using his media momentum to sell his next book, a 1950s thriller titled 'Quirke, ' which will carry the name Benjamin Black as author, the BBC reported Friday.

Banville's Picador publisher, Andrew Kidd, told the BBC the author made the decision not to use his real name because the new book is strictly for entertainment.

'He doesn't want people reading 'Quirke' and looking for the same things they do in a Banville novel, ' Kidd said.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (10/22/2005 10:31:00 AM) Post reply

, , , so he gets his PR lady to tell the whole world this so virtuous secret badge of integrity...? The book that he couldn't sell in the 1950s? Well kiss my Blarney Stone...

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/22/2005 7:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have deleted it Michael. It is surprising to me that you do not seem to understand the importance of the subject. Poetry site or not. Is there something you have seen on this site in the last few years that would justify taking up space?
    Best wishes
    H

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Linda Jenkinson (10/21/2005 9:38:00 PM) Post reply

I thought i heard dictionary pages rustling andrew...thanks

• Rookie Linda Jenkinson (10/21/2005 9:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i really enjoy the immediacey of being here...poets of old never had this feedback! ..is immediacey a real word? ?

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/22/2005 3:01:00 AM) Post reply

Although this nitpicker dislikes mis schbelled words I think we enjoy your immediacy here as well. H

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (10/21/2005 9:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

today's epiphany: for me the '60s didn't begin until 1971.

[Hata Bildir]