Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Max Reif (7/24/2005 10:01:00 AM) Post reply

Subject Searches:
    When people were discussing the poem, 'Pigeons'-was it Sheila Knowles'? -I did a title search and found 17 POEMS ON PIGEONS!
    I just did one to see how many poems about COFFEE there are-23!
    Kind of an interesting idea, now and then, to take a 'cross-section' of poets on a given subject by doing that kind of search.

• Lamont Palmer (7/24/2005 8:58:00 AM) Post reply

Lorine Neidecker is another rather obscure poet who wrote very short, piquant verses, though more benign and mainstream than Brautigan. She died in 1975 I think; lived on a little island all her life out west, published only two books of poetry, and wrote in anonymity for most of her life. Lotta stories like that. Of course the greatest 'unknown' was Dickinson, who published, perhaps 7 poems in her lifetime.

• Michael Shepherd (7/24/2005 7:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

OK guys I just did my homework,54 poems by Richard Brautigan, discuss, compare and contrast and hand it in tomorrow or else... and thanks Aaron...

It took me back to the 1960s of peace, pot and poetry... life oughta be fun and life's gonna be fun...his poems are short, mostly about five lines, witty because they're short, short because he's seen, had, just one amusing apercu... I read every word because they're that well expressed, kind of friendly Dorothy Parker area that a New Yorker editor might just consider for that blank page-end, then think, no, maybe too sexy - and the sex poems are laughaloud...A few of his poems, if the Beatles had set them (they're Beatle era, whatever the actual date) would be up there with Lennon/Macartney, imho.
    I lol'd at about five/six and snorgled at maybe 12/15 others. And frankly, I was envious of quite a few, as a little sometimes-truth neatly packaged. The after-taste? Witty guy, would've liked to meet him... pass on the music. Yes, thanks Aaron. There are some great forgotten poets hidden in PH. I accidentally hit on some poet writing how she was being slowly taken over by the spirit of Gertrude Stein, unrequested - I was off my zimmer and rolling on the floor...

Replies for this message:

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • A.p. Sweet (7/23/2005 10:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Everyone needs to read anything by Richard Brautigan. This guy is awesome. And please feel free to read and critique my junk. Thank you.

• Lamont Palmer (7/24/2005 11:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Aaron, read a few of your poems. Frankly, I found them very interesting. At the very least I can see you're trying to think outside of the box. The ones I liked best, I liked because I felt they had m ... more

• Michael Shepherd (7/24/2005 6:41:00 AM) Post reply

Read your poem 'A Plague'.... so, would we dare...?

• Richard George (7/24/2005 5:41:00 AM) Post reply

Do you know about a band called Mad River? San Francisco 1968 and 9. Richard Brautigan was a patron of theirs. On their second LP PARADISE BAR AND GRILL he reads one of his own poems called Love's Not ... more

• Robert Rorabeck (7/24/2005 1:23:00 AM) Post reply

i've read a lot of Brautigan- I like is ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/24/2005 12:27:00 AM) Post reply

It's the background mate, Brautigan used ... more

• Max Reif (7/23/2005 10:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I used to enjoy Richard Brautigan, I rem ... more

• Michael Shepherd (7/23/2005 4:42:00 AM) Post reply

Lamont, in one of those 'massages in answer to your message' to Sherrie you talked about 'imitating' another poet etc. I tend to work from sound rather than words, and perhaps because of his I've learned a lot, most enjoyably, from writing (respectful) pastiche of 'top class' stuff, prose and poetry. It's as if my mind expands to understand something of the greater mind. And sometimes it really takes off so that I'm using that greater mind to say something 'new' from.
    So I reckon that if you know you're doing it, and it's not 'borrowed clothing', it's a good exercise. But you asked Sherrie, who didn't answer yet?

• David Hock (7/23/2005 12:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

hey casey, you out there?

• David Hock (7/22/2005 12:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

have any of you checked out marcy jarvis? pretty brilliant stuff. Pieces like 'An Arch Typed' recall some of the neo avant-garde poets like Kenneth Koch— might resolve some your squabbles about intellectualism vs. Wordsworth's 'spontaneous overflow of emotion' in poetry. The Title Bout! in this young know-nothing's opinion, great art happens in the tension between— can't separate body and soul. no ghosts in the machine in poetry. Eliot ostensibly hated Whitman, but read him copiously. dirty habit, I guess— couldn't help the influence. but blah blah blah, I'll shut up now before I hurt myself.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/22/2005 6:30:00 PM) Post reply

Gee David, this makes me think. I will go back and read some more of her stuff right this minute. Might keep you informed re progress or changes, if any. Best H

• Michael Shepherd (7/22/2005 4:26:00 AM) Post reply

Sherrie, thank you indeed for the encouragement to read Sheila Knowles. A revelatory poet. I've just written an extended comment on one of her poems, so won't try to repeat it... but I've read right through her offerings and feel wiser and more human for the experience. And yes - a superlative demonstration of the definition of free verse as 'prose with enhanced consciousness'. Makes some painstaking wannabees read like stick-on word kit...

• Tommy Munos (7/22/2005 2:47:00 AM) Post reply

Can some one please read my poems, and tell me what genre you think they should be in. Me personily write about sad dark life events. Please rate them and tell me what you think of them. Be honest, even if it mean.

• Tommy Munos (7/21/2005 2:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I am new on this web site. I am very young, but I've been threw alot. Can any one please read my poems. They are sad, and some are dark. I still have a couple I still havent typed. Please go and read the ones I have typed.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/21/2005 4:27:00 AM) Post reply

I have read three of your poems. Personally I suggest you concentrate on your school work, namely spelling, grammar and the rest of the three R's, read the poems of others here and elsewhere (they say ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]