Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (9/27/2005 8:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

hot damn, that Dylan doc last night was just awesome. Dylan has influenced nearly every rock artist (and poet!) this side of JFK's Assassination. i was most impressed with the people that influenced Dylan. and the footage was incredible, every frame of it. Scorcese has done a marvelous job.

part 2 tonight!

Jake

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (9/27/2005 4:54:00 PM) Post reply

10.30 pm British time - 2nd Dylan doc brilliant. Answering idiotic 'label' questions...squirm-making, he's so smart not answering them - 'what do you think? ' 'I've never heard your music...'

• Max Reif (9/27/2005 3:37:00 PM) Post reply

I felt Mr. Dylan was totally straight in his discussions with Scorcese. Those grey, or green, or grey-green eyes seemed to look into the past and recall everything with utter precision. He's the only ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (9/27/2005 3:00:00 PM) Post reply

you are right, Michael, Dylan is a bit elusive and evasive; reluctant to reveal himself in any great detail. it might be because, since he changed his name, he has always relied on the mystery of his ... more

• Michael Shepherd (9/27/2005 11:08:00 AM) Post reply

For a guy with no singing voice or music ... more

• Poetry Hound (9/27/2005 10:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes, it was a finely made and thoroughly ... more

• Janice M Pickett (9/27/2005 8:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

iS IT SAFE TO COME IN FOR A CHAT AND SAY HELLO. lONG TIME NO SEE lol

• Mary Nagy (9/27/2005 10:43:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Janice, Does that mean you're coming back for awhile? Hopefully. I really don't think other sites can compare with Poemhunter. I havn't been able to find any other sites with such an easy, 'inst ... more

• Poetry Hound (9/27/2005 10:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

NO! ! ! I will hound you off the site again! Just kidding. C'mon in, the water's fine. We have a lifeguard on duty now.

• Allan James Saywell (9/27/2005 4:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

men and women poets to be a poet you have to be a little left of centre or in
    my case a bloody raving lunatic because let us be honest why would anyone want to be a poet If for gods sake you were regarded as the best poet in the world as per popular vote the reward would not buy you a dozen eggs
    maybe that is why we have more poetry teachers then poets, there must be more money in teaching poetry or maybe a monk people leave food as a offering to
    appease the gods could we sell our poetry for food or drink well would you
    like my best poem for a two litre bottle of coke i'v run out of coke i need
    a coke, think about the whole issue give me some feedback

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/27/2005 7:42:00 AM) Post reply

Some little poems do have legs just long enough to buy some eggs. Though for a dozen not enough So, Allan, do you give a stuff? You know you'd shrivel like a flower and sting like a box jellyf ... more

• Michael Shepherd (9/27/2005 6:36:00 AM) Post reply

Back in the '30s, kids (said Granpop) , IZAL toilet rolls had a little poem printed every fourth leaf. It's a message I've never forgotten.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/27/2005 4:54:00 AM) Post reply

Allan, you are only telling a small part of the story. It's not money that is the root of all evil but the love of money. Same with poetry, only it's evil to only some, not the likes of us. Right Emi ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Richard George (9/26/2005 2:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I'm probably a bit late to post a poem about death, but this is one of my all time favourite poems by anyone on any subject. It's by Albert Huffstickler (1927-2002) of Austin, Texas.

Transcendance

I think of a dream I had
    some fourteen years ago
    not long before my mother died:
    I was getting off the bus
    in Ft.Myers where she lived
    and saw her next door in the drug store.
    She had managed to get downtown
    to meet me and I knew
    that she was buying me
    a homecoming present.
    She looked so old and tired
    and something melted in me
    and I felt such sorrow
    over her love for me,
    felt so ashamed
    to be loved the way
    that this old woman loved me.
    And maybe that dream
    foretold her death
    because I knew that she
    had passed beyond me,
    that her love for me
    had carried her beyond us both
    and so
    she didn't belong here anymore.
    And I stood watching her
    with this terrible sadness in me
    wandering from aisle to aisle,
    searching anxiously
    for just the right thing,
    all of her being focussed
    on finding just the right thing.
    God knows what the right thing was.
    God knows if she found it.
    I woke to some cosmic, unbearable grief
    and sat smoking till daylight.

• David Nelson Bradsher (9/27/2005 8:18:00 AM) Post reply

What a great poem that is. It really tugged at me, and I don't even like many free verse poems. Thank you.

• Michael Shepherd (9/27/2005 6:23:00 AM) Post reply

Huge thankyou for that, Richard. Unforgettable. And so, so true. That totality of love is devastating, and the poem throws that up so well.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (9/26/2005 1:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Ahoy, fellow Poets,

tonight at 9 pm EST on PBS will be the first part of 'No Direction Home', Martin Scorcese's biopic about Bob Dylan. judging by the trailer, and Uriah Hamilton's expert opinion (he bought the DVD already) it's essential viewing for the hardcore BobCat or the casual fan interested in learning more.

it is scheduled to air on the Beeb in the UK, but i'm not certain on showtimes.

just a heads up for those who might like to see it.

Jake

• Richard Jackson (9/26/2005 2:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

'Rain, rain, go away
    Come again another day.'
    ...a delay in play

© 2005 Richard Jackson
    If anyone can cite the quotation feel free

• Michael Shepherd (9/26/2005 9:49:00 AM) Post reply

..and if you google the third item down on rain rain (on my screen) , don't miss the incredible detail about execution, on the Jack and Jill page...gasp...definitely a YCMIU - you couldn't make it up ... more

• Michael Shepherd (9/26/2005 4:16:00 AM) Post reply

Google it - there's lots about it. Said to go back to the failure of the Spanish Armada to conquer Britain due to storms in time of Liz 1...not entirely convincing...but there are other explanations. ... more

• Allan James Saywell (9/25/2005 11:45:00 PM) Post reply

my poem 'free Rent And extra's' is about the alternative to living and the cost
    of living and why death is much cheaper, i think it is worth a read but you must be positive

• Allan James Saywell (9/25/2005 10:26:00 PM) Post reply

what is a communist, a hippy who lives with a lot of people, a capilist with no
    money cant be a russian, please explain

• Allan James Saywell (9/25/2005 7:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

if you read EMILY DICKINSON, 'BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH' YOU WILL
    NEVER HAVE TO READ ABOUT DEATH EVER AGAIN, I READ THIS POEM WAY BACK WHEN
    I WAS YOUNG IT COMPLETELY CHANGED MY LIFE, SET ME ON THE PATH OF WRITTEN POETRY
    THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER POET LIKE HER EVER AGAIN MALE OR FEMALE

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Michael Shepherd (9/25/2005 6:12:00 AM) Post reply

... or for that matter, is there a famous prose passage on Death? Some famous valedictory by Donne, Lancelot Andrewes, whoever?

[Hata Bildir]