Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (9/10/2005 4:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

your right Adam comments help but i have had some good poems not pick up a vote
    and i might not be a great judge of my poetry, i do have my favourites
    poems that gave me a great deal of personal satisfaction i lot of my poems have been used to have some fun they just sit there having lost all power but i still like them

• Allan James Saywell (9/10/2005 3:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

i have not had one poem deleted reynalds, is that how you spell your name or are you all negative i did say positive thoughts that is negative

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (9/10/2005) Post reply Stage

IF IT'S TOO QUIET WE CAN ALWAYS HAVE A FARKING WAR

• Allan James Saywell (9/9/2005 10:05:00 PM) Post reply Stage

FOUND SOMETHING HILARIOUS ON MY KEYBOARD(SOME EXPERTS BELIEVE THAT YOUR KEYBOARD CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY) WHAT CAN YOU GET CAUGHT IN YOUR KEYBOARD
    YOUR TONGUE YOUR--

• Allan James Saywell (9/9/2005 7:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

could someone tell me what is involved with making a e book how hard is it
    i have picked out forty poems out of 1200 all the ones i like
    there are two options open to a poet create a e book, do a hardcover
    another option is create own website
    or delet the lot and start over because a poet likes a certain poem of his own does not mean that it will get read or become popular could people with some
    grey matter reply with some insight

• Michael Shepherd (9/10/2005 7:23:00 AM) Post reply Stage

It's only a click or two via HELP on this site. But i think it means putting all your poems to date on it unless you delet them from your homepage?

• Allan James Saywell (9/9/2005 3:55:00 PM) Post reply Stage

if i wrote a serious poem that asked for drama and clarity of speech i would
    want a actor or someone professional to read the poem
    a comedic poem perhaps mister Bean with the funny face would suffice but
    a great poem can be read in the privacy of ones head for personal enjoyment
    a poem will live all it needs is a audience wether it be spoken in a pub
    with a empty bar or in the Sydney opera house or the super dome just the thought
    of someone enjoying my poetry in the privacy of there toilet, keeps me writing

• sheila knowles (9/9/2005 11:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

I'd just like to say, that of all the weird and wonderful things I read in here daily...the forums, that is...this Leonard Cohen thread is something I just have to add to...he is, in my very selfish and subjective opinion, the most wonderful poet that lives! Right, there you have it...I said it :)))

• sheila knowles (9/9/2005 1:04:00 PM) Post reply Stage

too late...I'm already stoned on Cohen and the incense :)

• sheila knowles (9/9/2005 12:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

now let's light some incense and keep it going.LOL!

• sheila knowles (9/9/2005 12:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

well it all boils down to the old objectivity/ subjectivity argument, doesn't it? Objectively, we may be able to say that rhyming ditties about broken hearts and missing walks along the beach (that ne ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Michael Shepherd (9/9/2005 10:37:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Did Leonard Cohen write that album, 'Attitude Lite for Stoned Wannabees'?

• Michael Shepherd (9/9/2005 4:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

'A poem should stand by itself' has now become a standard badge of pride, I notice...I think it's possible to understand both points of view. The ultimate achievement of the poet is to get the finality of the poem down in words 'for the future'. But they will have 'read it aloud in their mind' many times, and the music will be there. But to me it's arrogant and unforgivable not then to give to their faithful public in a reading, just what they heard in their mind, music, vitality, relevance and all, when they wrote it. The principle of oratory is that you speak to the audience in front of you at the time... I'd be very suspicious of the others, that they think poetry is a contribution to immortal written literature, period...

Of course, since the days of the bards who created to be heard, until recently, few or no-one would have heard a poet read their own poetry. Certainly no-one would guess from the printed page how 'We real cool' (excuse the repeated reference) sounds when it's brought to life... and of course, some may prefer their own reading to that of the author!

So I guess it's like the score of a Mozart piano concerto - it's a vital record of what you may bring to life yourself, but only an approximate record of how Mozart played it - and played around with it!

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/9/2005 4:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Yes Michael, Mozart is nice enough but Bach! I sometimes imagine that you would read one or two of my poems to an audience. It would boost them to untold heights.As to hearing your poems in your hea ... more

• Allan James Saywell (9/9/2005 3:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

a library rang me up and asked me to read some of my poetry for a fund raising
    night ALL TICKET AFFAIR, so along i went with my poetry i think i had written a hundred poems or so i brought along my own amps and mic thank god i did
    there were about seventy people, i was introduced to the audience of about seventy people all full of red wine and away i went like some bloody actor reciting my poems let me tell you at the finish i was exhausted but i did put everything i had into it thank god for amps and mics but i have to tell you it made me feel good at the finish they did give me a ovation not for my poetry
    but the fact that i didn't die on the job

• Cheri Leigh (9/9/2005 10:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

That is great Allan, I'm certain they were applauding your work, not just your performance. Of course, that begs the question, is there a division between the two when it comes to spoken poetry? At ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/9/2005 4:35:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Modesty may not become you Allan. I am sure they loved your poetry. H

[Hata Bildir]