Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • allan james saywell (9/10/2005 5:15:00 PM) Post reply

well mister sheperd the blob is male i will show you mine if you will show me yours instead of doing a e-book on my poetry i am going to sell my poems to
    mister saywell he is going to arrange my poems for me in his own name of course
    for a KINGS RANSOME OF A BUCK A POEM which will increase after my death less tax
    of a buck fifty and death duty of two bucks on the provisor that i rise again
    which is a good deal considering he doesn't realize that i'm immortal and do
    often walk on water

• Michael Shepherd (9/10/2005 2:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Cheri, thanks. There's a similar argument put forward most clearly by an Indian grammarian of around the 10th century CE: that fine languages such as Sanskrit (and the finest usage of other languages) slowly lose their natural power to promote action, over time, as words are used carelessly, inaccurately, profligately. Only by acknowledging every word as connected ultimately to the One Creator, and thus of universal, absolute power and meaning, by writers and speakers, may language be restored to an active force. It is based on the aphorism 'Words mean what they do'...

It was re-discovered by American philologists and logophiles of the early 20th century and subsequently, such as the guy whose name escapes me right now, who began as fire prevention officer - it's a great story - whose practical observations led him to become a foremost scholar in this area of language as force...

This may seem a bit heavy to those who love to fling words around in the quest for the freshness of originality, seeking the 'surprising' simile or metaphor (which all too often impresses superficially, but carries no real power to enlighten): but I think this view will ring a bell with many who seek that power in poetry. It does of course imply a very considerable study of the meaning and implications of individual words and grammar - or at the very least, persistent care in writing.

I was going to post this anyway before you brought this up, but it looked a little pointed in view of my personal opinion about a certain poem... so thanks, and make of it what you will!

Replies for this message:
    • Cheri Leigh (9/10/2005 4:27:00 PM) Post reply

So - does it all come down then, to personal responsibility? If we are held accountable for every word we speak/write (for what is literature really but an enduring form of speech?) then it behoves u ... more

• Lamont Palmer (9/10/2005 4:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Interesting Michael. However, I do wonder what e.e.cummings, James Joyce, Gertrude Stein, Hart Crane, H.D., George Oppen, Frank O'Hara, Robert Creeley, Charles Olson, John Berryman, William S. Burroug ... more

• Cheri Leigh (9/10/2005 2:02:00 PM) Post reply

I just found this in a book I'm reading and thought it was interesting:

True poetry is born of Scrutiny
    Scrutiny, the son of Meditation
    Meditation, the son of Lore
    Lore, the son of Inquiry
    Inquiry, the son of Investigation
    Investigation, the son of Knowledge
    Knowledge the son of Understanding,
    Understanding the son of Wisdom,
    Wisdom, the son of Surrender to the Divine Will.
    (Lawhead, Stephen R. in 'Patrick', Zondervan,2003)

In light of our recent discussions I thought the train of thought interesting. The book is about St. Patrick and is well written, though I don't really know much about Patrick so I can't say how well researched it is. At any rate the poem made me think about poetry and its sources. I hope it is enjoyed here. CLR

• Michael Shepherd (9/10/2005 10:17:00 AM) Post reply

Allan, Poemhunter uses Adobe Acrobat for its e-books. So you could just as well copy your favourite poems onto an Adobe blank file. You'd miss the PH title-page, but you could design one just as easily from straight type. Or you could use Poemhunter to download your complete output, and then delet the unfavourites from that Adobe file (I guess - anyone disagree?) .

• Allan James Saywell (9/10/2005 6:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

perhaps someone could do a e book on some of the comedic things that have happened on poem hunter i have had quite a lot of belly laughs on this site
    some real good times it can get quite scary on a lot of occasions with some of
    the different personalities that turn up from time to time the biggest worry is the males that assume the roles of females now that is scary

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (9/10/2005 4:55:00 AM) Post reply

your right Adam comments help but i have had some good poems not pick up a vote
    and i might not be a great judge of my poetry, i do have my favourites
    poems that gave me a great deal of personal satisfaction i lot of my poems have been used to have some fun they just sit there having lost all power but i still like them

• Allan James Saywell (9/10/2005 3:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i have not had one poem deleted reynalds, is that how you spell your name or are you all negative i did say positive thoughts that is negative

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (9/10/2005) Post reply

IF IT'S TOO QUIET WE CAN ALWAYS HAVE A FARKING WAR

• Allan James Saywell (9/9/2005 10:05:00 PM) Post reply

FOUND SOMETHING HILARIOUS ON MY KEYBOARD(SOME EXPERTS BELIEVE THAT YOUR KEYBOARD CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY) WHAT CAN YOU GET CAUGHT IN YOUR KEYBOARD
    YOUR TONGUE YOUR--

• Allan James Saywell (9/9/2005 7:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

could someone tell me what is involved with making a e book how hard is it
    i have picked out forty poems out of 1200 all the ones i like
    there are two options open to a poet create a e book, do a hardcover
    another option is create own website
    or delet the lot and start over because a poet likes a certain poem of his own does not mean that it will get read or become popular could people with some
    grey matter reply with some insight

• Michael Shepherd (9/10/2005 7:23:00 AM) Post reply

It's only a click or two via HELP on this site. But i think it means putting all your poems to date on it unless you delet them from your homepage?

[Hata Bildir]