Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • shehla carol (6/18/2005 1:50:00 PM) Post reply

i read 'angels' by william blake but i could not understand the meaning.can anyone help me by giving a jist of the poem.

• Robert Rorabeck (6/18/2005 12:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

achoo

Replies for this message:
  • Raynette Eitel (6/18/2005 11:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm still pondering over Michael's 'psychotechnosociological'. My goodness, Michael, must we worry about anything so ponderous?

• Michael Shepherd (6/18/2005 1:44:00 PM) Post reply

Of course not, Raynette! ... never ponder over the ponderous...but I was brought up on Agatha Christie, and if there's an exquisite corpse there must be an exquisite reason... Seriously though (he ... more

• Raynette Eitel (6/18/2005 10:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

To go back a little in the discussion, I want to go on record as being appalled that there is a list of 500 best poems (even poets) on this web site. Get real! Do you really believe for a moment that Shel Silverstein should be way ahead of T.S. Eliot or that any one of us should be ahead of a poet like Robert Frost or Emily Dickinson? Those whose poems have been posted there must have a false sense of pride in something that has not been proven. How many of these poems have been published and recognised by the literary community as true art? I wish Poemhunter would not do this. It has compiled this list with no clear criteria and there are poems on the list ahead of true literature. Makes us all look silly.

• ***** ***** (6/18/2005 2:56:00 PM) Post reply

I feel that the 'greats' and the accomplished poets should not be pitted against people on any website, many of whom write as a hobby. For many of the older poets, they didn't just swanny around sayi ... more

• Michael Shepherd (6/18/2005 12:01:00 PM) Post reply

.. oh and by the way, I should mention that my remarks are not fuelled by envy, and that there are valid reasons, if not obvious to all, why any poet among us is rated where (s) he is on any particula ... more

• Michael Shepherd (6/18/2005 11:44:00 AM) Post reply

Raynette, view the 'top'lists as unique social documents. Poets write; critics critique; teachers teach; books anthologise... and yet individuals will insist on being individuals... and for one reaso ... more

• Andrew Konisberg (6/18/2005 11:43:00 AM) Post reply

There is no 'Top 500' of art. What would ... more

• Poetry Hound (6/18/2005 10:56:00 AM) Post reply

I concur. Note that the list is not titl ... more

• Michael Shepherd (6/18/2005 5:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

.. and maybe that applies to hatchets too?

• Michael Shepherd (6/18/2005 5:01:00 AM) Post reply

Why don't we keep to Arab custom here, and prepare, exhibit and bury the exquisite corpse within 24 hours?

• t. h. ashbury (6/17/2005 10:55:00 PM) Post reply

gentlemen, really...

on a separate note, what is the status of our exquisite corpse? curious. salut.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/17/2005 7:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

at the risk of passing the buck...

since you're moderating this one, Andrew, i'll leave the rules of engagement up to you. i see the moderator like a card dealer, deal the game and the rest of us play it.

if the last half of a line makes it easier, i'm all for it. one important thing we should bear in mind is that Exquisite Corpse is a game - that's all. nobody expects it to be a masterpiece. the Corpses my writing groups compose are rather absurd. it's virtually anonymous, too. nobody but the moderator knows exactly who is participating or who wrote what, so there's little risk of embarrassment there. it is meant to be a fun exercise to do with friends for laughs.

ultimately, i am glad to see us all coming together on this. :)
    we're composing, compromising, and all working together. a far cry from the way things were just a month or so ago. i am anxious to see how our Corpse turns out.

Jake

• Poetry Hound (6/17/2005 10:22:00 AM) Post reply

I think it will be more fun to see who contributed which lines. If anyone wants to remain anonymous, that's fine and they can let Andrew know.

• Andrew Konisberg (6/17/2005 8:59:00 AM) Post reply

we have a few more people who have offered to contribute, Jake. everybody seems to be joining in with the spirit of fun.

• Laura Cummings (6/17/2005 7:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

ok people, ive submitted a new poem and tried to follow your advice.... ive heard Michael's opinion.. wot are yours?

• Andrew Konisberg (6/17/2005 7:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Laura, what is the poem called? and would you be interested in joining a game were playing on the forum where whoever wants to writes 2 lines (8-14 words) when I send them the last half of some ... more

• Andrew Konisberg (6/16/2005 3:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

listen, to allay fears, I'll add to the lines so everybody can do 2 each and I'll give them the last half-line...I know this a modification but I think it is a better idea...I've only ever played the game with four lines before...if this is okay with you Jake...a compromise between 'the warring parties' (to paraphrase His Homeynence III.) a contributor has kindly agreed to write two lines and thus, I will message everyone else when I send them their last half-line to do the same: -) a more conducive technique to start out with, I think.

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 5:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Doesn't sound like a good compromise to me...

• ***** ***** (6/16/2005 5:02:00 PM) Post reply

I would like to be involved.. my muse has gone on holidays so it will be harder for me than in recent times.. but that does not take away from my interest. I am a little cautious, but I see others ar ... more

[Hata Bildir]