Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (10/20/2005 2:49:00 PM) Post reply

my poem 'Princeton' refers to Princeton Illinois, a small farming community north of Peoria, where my dad grew up vice the college of academic prestige.

• Max Reif (10/20/2005 1:12:00 PM) Post reply

I'm soliciting feedback on 'Autobiographical Fairy Tale', a poem I just posted. Actually, I posted it a couple hours ago before I was done revising it. It sort of went out half-dressed. Now I feel it's ready to be seen; I just re-edited.

Is it 'too' anything? (Is it 'not enough' anything?) Please put any comments under the poem.

• Marcy Jarvis (10/20/2005 12:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Speaking of Princeton - Jake, it's satire, right?

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Daniel Tyler (10/20/2005 11:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Does anyone think that there are any song lyrics that are good enough to be classed as, or at least evaluated as poetry, or do you think they are entirely separate, with song lyrics never reaching the depth of feeling that poetry can?
    Daniel Tyler

• Michael Shepherd (10/20/2005 3:51:00 PM) Post reply

I'm age-restricted on recent lyric, which seems to me, in 'commercial' popnrock, to be nudged towards the peddling of one-liners, statements and attitudes to identify with and which don't explore emot ... more

• Max Reif (10/20/2005 12:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

We were discussing this a little while before you came to the Forum, but since no one's said it here, I'll mention (as I did ad nauseam not long ago) that I would give Bob Dylan a Nobel Prize for Lit ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/20/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

The Last Poets - brazen, in-your-face African American poetry spoken over drum and conga beats, from the early '70s, with poems/songs like 'Wake Up, Niggers! ' and 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televise ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (10/20/2005 11:30:00 AM) Post reply

the ancient to not so ancient poetry, th ... more

• Max Reif (10/20/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

So many of you chaps are in London. Have any of you ever gotten together at a pub, or anything? Had a reading?

• Poetry Hound (10/20/2005 8:05:00 AM) Post reply

Sedona would be good. Raynette would like the proximity to her home. But I would have to nominate New York City, the most fabulous place in the world for art of all kinds. If that city doesn't inspir ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/20/2005 7:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's a well-known fact, Max that the British only seek out each others' company when they're abroad... perhaps a group charter to Bay Area might do the trick...?

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (10/20/2005 7:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i'm going to be in london in December to see the Pogues at Brixton Academy!

• Michael Shepherd (10/20/2005 4:48:00 AM) Post reply

Anyone been to the opera Dr Atomic? Has it been on TV?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/19/2005 6:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Apologies for my post about the pills below.
    I needed to respond to correct the misinformation (not to mention the misspelling of the two key players) in a message Marcy had posted to warn parents and others.
    It has little to do with poetry but to warn about one danger while introducing and recommending another one may affect the life and health of a potential future poet.
    Best
    H

• Michael Shepherd (10/20/2005 4:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Herbert, you might like to complete your useful survey with a comment about aspirin. Some doctors recommend this on the grounds that it is (or should be) extracted from the natural substance of the w ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • ***** ***** (10/18/2005 5:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

okay so who has a magic formula for an absent muse that doesn't require alcohol..... (clarification post)

smile..

• ***** ***** (10/19/2005 10:46:00 AM) Post reply

such interesting and varied responses! Thanks for suggestions

• Michael Shepherd (10/19/2005 7:14:00 AM) Post reply

I'd say - when you notice the Muse is attending some other more profitable patient...do whatever is the exact opposite from whatever you're being, doing, thinking, emoting, right now - provided it doe ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/18/2005 5:44:00 PM) Post reply

Camomille tea, made from filtered Lourdes water, add two drops of liquor amonii caustici,4 drops of sirupus rubi ideae, one teasponn of cultured buttermilk, a sprig of organic parsley, one capsule of ... more

• ***** ***** (10/18/2005 5:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Okay so who has a magic formula for an absent muse?

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Marcy Jarvis (10/18/2005 12:33:00 PM) Post reply

I like this: 'as water
    is the first social fluency
    in any desert: the cistern
    comes later and is an inducement of false power.
    Which makes the thinning sorrow of flight
    the last disjunction, of the heart'

It has the touch of the surrealists. Max?

[Hata Bildir]