Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 1st Stage Jerry Hughes (11/10/2005 5:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Movers, Those Who Care, and Shakers. Every now and then a poem makes the hair at the back of my head stand up. This beautiful piece by Emily Dickinson, arguably the best lady poet ever, did it to me. Additionally, an adored person makes it even more poignant. Enjoy, already!

It's all I have to bring today,
    This, and my heart beside,
    This, and my heart, and all the fields,
    And all the meadows wide.
    Be sure you count, should I forget, -
    Some one the sum could tell, -
    This, and my heart, and all the bees
    Which in the clover dwell.

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 1st Stage Daniel Tyler (11/10/2005 3:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Does anybody like Preludes by TS Eliot. I think it's a vivid description of life for civilians in The Great War.
    'A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps
    And then the lighting of the lamps.'

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 4:05:00 PM) Post reply

I love the way he makes his poetry of successive images. It's not unlike Eisenstein's film 'montage'. I tried to write in this style, of successive images, quite recently, and learned so much.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (11/10/2005 3:29:00 PM) Post reply

I'm very fond of that poem. I take it as a kind of model.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (11/10/2005 3:16:00 PM) Post reply

I have just read this poem Daniel and I loved it. I agree with you its a wonderful picture of those times. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Sincerely Ernestine

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 1:47:00 PM) Post reply

Here to brighten your day is a despatch from li'l ole England...
    Trafalgar Square, repository of Britain's bronzed heroes and statesmen, has long been the haunt of pigeons/tourists/pigeon-food sellers.Symbiotic relationship.
    It has had one empty plinth for years. Boldly, this is now filled with a monumental statue of Alison Lapper, born without arms, and having abandoned her prosthetics, pregnant, nude, and marble. The pigeons have deserted the bronzes and settled for her lap, depositing their critical aesthetic judgment on her instead. A touching story?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Poetry Hound (11/10/2005 1:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I’ve unearthed this fake fraudulent version of John Kay’s infamous email letter to Marcy Jarvis. If anyone has the actual fraudulent version, please post it.

Dear Marcy,
    Why are you so uptight about the constructive comments I leave on people’s poems? Are you upset because I called your poems shallow? Or maybe it was because I called them have-baked, mediocre nothings. Well, whatever it was, you’ve so over-reacted that now you appear to be quite insane. Please stop calling me. With respect, John.

John, How could you say such mean things about Marcy’s poems?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/11/2005 10:10:00 AM) Post reply

oh, jesus, i'm LMAO over here. stop! stop! please, i'm splitting right up my sides!

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/10/2005 8:04:00 PM) Post reply

My dear Marcy: It is with some trepidation that I am writing to you today. Whenever a fling, and I use the term after some deliberation, whenever a fling such as ours comes to an untimely end it ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 1:34:00 PM) Post reply

Dear John, 'Have-baked' is a poor translation from the German. 'Half-baked' would be better English. And surely 'mediocre nothings' is an oxymoron ? Yrs, Marcy

• Rookie - 1st Stage Lori Boulard (11/10/2005 10:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 12 replies

Since many 'contributors' are on right now, I'll pose my questions for the day:

- Do you want just the Poet name in the Table of Contents? (If yes, you make my day and I don't have to list every poem, but it's up to you)

- Can I put poet name & country in the bios with their verbage? Do some want city as well, or no location at all? We have a wide range and I think it would be interesting.

- Last one I promise: Is there some central place I can upload the draft document (around 90 pages right now) so everyone can proof their poems? Anyone with a website that will donate some space or something?
    Thanks, Lori

To read all of 12 replies click here
  • Rookie - 1st Stage Lori Boulard (11/10/2005 9:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

as long as were talking locals, MS brought Richard Hanson to my attention. Can't stop reading the guy! He does a lot of very rich historical stuff, but also some topnotch venturings on more general matters. Check out Writer In Residence, A Wasted Life, oh hell, anything! Not bad for a meat inspector...

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/10/2005 4:08:00 PM) Post reply

Hanson is a poet of the highest caliber. And an excellent critic. Love his stuff. Best H

• Rookie - 1st Stage Alice Vedral Rivera (11/10/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Personally, I read Slimboydim and like his poetry – he is, at times, rather dark. I, also, am the one that focused on empathy in my comments. Not that I thought that he was personally going through what he was writing about at the time he wrote it, because you usually need to have a bit of distance from those feelings in order to write about them well, but because (as one who has struggled with suicidal tendencies) they brought me back to that dark place. As we know, many young people (teenagers) read the poetry on this site and these poems could contribute to an already struggling to stay alive teenager’s push towards the edge. Lest you think that I don’t know what I speak of, one of my nieces tried to commit suicide this year and if another niece hadn’t quickly called for help, several of her friends would not be alive today.

avr

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 10:37:00 AM) Post reply

Alice, as one who had a breakdown two years ago with all the history that implies...I'm with you all the way. My previous comments were in no way intended to be about him personally.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Joseph Daly (11/10/2005 8:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hi all,

May I recommend another couple of writers on this site. Firstly Slimboydim. His stuff is, at first reading, very personal (at times rather dark) and yet shows a great insight into the extremes of human behaviour. Some comments on his work have focused on empathy with what he is describing, I think this is wrong and that the readers may have missed the point of his work. I have my own interpretation of which I shall not bore you with at present (unless you invite me to) . Do check him out.

Secondly I have come across work by Sally Clarke. She seems to have developed her own style which, in some of her poems, especially the Spider poems, I find provocotive but a great pleasure to read.

She has also published, on the site, poetry that her mother wrote which is also well worth investigating, even if it may appear to some as traditionalist (nothing wrong with that, I would say, as long as it is well written) but it is worth investigating and not as an exercise in comparing it with Sally's work: the two are worlds apart; but because it is the work of a real talent.

Denis Joe

• Rookie - 1st Stage Lucy Burrow (11/10/2005 9:05:00 AM) Post reply

I love Sally's work too, even though I HATE spiders! (even her spider poems are good) I have not had time to take a peek at her mother's work, but I will go and take a look. Regards, Lucy

• Rookie - 1st Stage Alice Vedral Rivera (11/10/2005 8:29:00 AM) Post reply

I enjoy Sally's work as well as her mother's. avr

• Rookie - 1st Stage Marcy Jarvis (11/10/2005 8:21:00 AM) Post reply

yes, I was VERY impressed with Sally's mother's work when she first posted it and encouraged her to add her mother's name to it. Later, when she started branching out on her own, she deleted the origi ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (11/10/2005 8:17:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Internet is the great leveller of accents. No one here seems 'British' as opposed to 'American' in their use of English, as far as I can see.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/10/2005 8:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

that's a very astute observcation, Max! accents aside, Americans and English (and Canadian, Australian, New Zealanders, etc) all have very unique grasps of the English language. those edges seem to ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Marcy Jarvis (11/10/2005 8:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

well, the ones who have things like 'I have not wrote poems...' on their bios seem like backwood American hicks to me but I was just talking to a Brit about this and he said it's a phenomenon in Engla ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Max Reif (11/10/2005 8:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Mr. Teymur writes me that at end of November they will launch the software to notify poets when Comments are made on their poems. And some other changes. (I had written the management for an update.)

• Rookie - 1st Stage Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/10/2005 9:23:00 AM) Post reply

say what you will, but in spite of all her flaws PH is probably one of the best and easiest interactive poetry websites i've seen. the rest are either user-unfriendly, too hyper-elitist, or embedded ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Lori Boulard (11/10/2005 9:01:00 AM) Post reply

YIPPEE! ! ! Now I can stop harrassing them with my email requests and go bug somebody else.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Alice Vedral Rivera (11/10/2005 8:32:00 AM) Post reply

I can't wait! It's about time. avr

[Hata Bildir]