Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/15/2005 10:25:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

THIS SITE IS WONDERFULL IN THE FACT THAT MY AGE IS STILL THE SAME DONT WORRY IT
    WILL CATCH UP NEXT YEAR

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/15/2005 8:12:00 PM) Post reply

Ok, let me rephrase that Allan

• Rookie ***** ********* (11/15/2005 7:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Where do those visitor numbers come from? I am amazed, surely it cannot be true? Are they mainly poets peeking in with only 2 dozen or so stopping by? Please someone explain, cus it's making me feel shy! I know! I don't seem that type of girl, but you would be suprised! lol

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/15/2005 8:47:00 PM) Post reply

Sorry, it's on this page in answer to Allan's remarks. Best H

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/15/2005 8:37:00 PM) Post reply

Tai, a big portion comes from the Iraq region. Please see my post on the previous page in answer to Sherrie's remark. Best H

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/15/2005 6:04:00 PM) Post reply

now boys and girls transvestites and closet animals i have just fired a rocket up someones ginger now i go to the kitchen to cook myself a small portahouse
    steak i always feel hungry after i verball someone then i shall walk along the beach always on the lookout for people with veils and big bellies

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/15/2005 5:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHO IS IN CHARGE OF 'POEM HUNTER' WHO HAS THE TITLE OF
    SUPREME BEING OR WHO IS THE MANAGER OR THE CONTROLLER OF SAID ORGANIZATION CALLED POEM HUNTER OTHER THEN THE POWERS TO BE IN FRANCE, ARE YOU CURIOUS
    AS TO WHO IT MIGHT BE

• Rookie ***** ********* (11/15/2005 5:45:00 PM) Post reply

I hope you guys are joking? I'm a bit naive ya see! lol Feeling neck! I think it's God, for she works in mysterious ways! rofl Tai Jester

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/15/2005 1:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I think we should appoint Nikhil Publicity Officer (unpaid) ...

• Rookie Poetry Hound (11/15/2005 2:05:00 PM) Post reply

I really think Nikhil is on to something with this media idea. I hope he will post a draft press release, or at least lay out the elements that should go into one.

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/15/2005 2:02:00 PM) Post reply

Wow, go to lunch and come back to a best seller! And to think I was going to start a brandy new day job next Monday...hmmm...nah, maybe I'll keep that day job, you know, just in case. Any publicity ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/15/2005 1:12:00 PM) Post reply

Well, it surely sounds like he knows what he's doing! :) He's got my vote!

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/15/2005 10:11:00 AM) Post reply

What a very generous and sensible set of posts. That should clear the air.

• Rookie John Kay (11/15/2005 8:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

After my run in with Marcy, I was enjoying the breather; but here I am again, mentioned in a situation I am totally unfamiliar with. The question of criticism of someone else's work continues to raise its head. Many people don't want it, but I depend on it; otherwise, I'd be writing in a void, and Adam's criticism is very honest and fair and welcome. He once told me that there was only one line worth remembering in one of the poems I posted, and maybe he was being kind at that. He was right, and I didn't want to hear it, but that poem is now in the litter basket, where it belongs. My purpose is to write poems that are as near perfect as possible, without distractions, detours or bumps that take the reader out of the flow of the poem. Michael helped me with a recent poem when he said the German in the poem was a distraction. And Jefferson had four suggestions for the same poem, most of which I will incorporate. This is not about my 'precious' self-expression, it is about creating a lasting piece of art, one that can stand on its own and not be embarassing; and suggestions from fellow poets and writing teachers are more than welcome. The website itself encourages this. This is a public forum. That's my two cents.

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/15/2005 9:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

absolutely right, and you know me, John. I invite comments and extended the same invitation to Adam. What upset me was his telling me NOT to offer the same to him, and his assumption that it would a ... more

• Rookie Michael Philips (11/15/2005 9:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Extremely well said, John. I have received some very helpful constructive criticism on my poems. I have incorporated quite a few of the suggestions I have received. In fact, that's the main reason I ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/15/2005 9:01:00 AM) Post reply

John, please read my comments posted under Adam's. Thanks.

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (11/15/2005 7:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Which poet said, 'I think, therefore iamb'?

• Rookie - 7 Points ***** ***** (11/16/2005 1:57:00 AM) Post reply

I found this reference to it: a corruption of Descartes by way of Shakespeare: I think, therefore, iamb. So I guess old Willie decided a play on French philosophy would be funny - and he was ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Ulrike Gerbig (11/15/2005 11:54:00 PM) Post reply

the french philosopher DESCARTES said this. ulrike

• Rookie - 7 Points Marcy Jarvis (11/15/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dorothy Parker didn't commit suicide; she died of a heart attack at age 73. She did say, 'I don't care what is written about me, so long as it isn't true, ' though.

• Rookie - 782 Points Jerry Hughes (11/15/2005 2:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

For those contemplating suicide because of too many limp wristed rejections, here's some very good advice from a most rejected, Dorothy Parker:

RE'SUME'

Razors pain you;
    Rivers are damp;
    Acids stain you;
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful;
    Nooses give;
    Gas smells awful;
    You might as well live.

• Rookie - 782 Points Max Reif (11/15/2005 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

oddly enough, I think Dorothy Parker wound up committing suicide. But her life was infinitely worthwhile, if only for bringing Mr. Hassler to us.

• Rookie - 782 Points Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/15/2005 6:55:00 AM) Post reply

this was the poem that turned me on to Ms. Parker oh, way back when...before i discovered her, i thought poetry was boring as hell.

• Rookie - 782 Points Declan McHenry (11/15/2005 4:06:00 AM) Post reply

Well ferreted Jerry. Rejection though can be a most sweet inspiration. It's the dejection I have the trouble with!

[Hata Bildir]