Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/16/2005 6:58:00 AM) Post reply

It looks like the least capable poets scream the loudest.
    H

• Max Reif (7/15/2005 11:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

(note: I have found the courage to re-post this 'reply' where it will really be seen!)

I would add the caveat that I don't apply the same standards to every poet. I mean, I can be awed by something and feel every word is perfectly chosen and placed to create an almost miraculous effect, but I don't hold every person who picks up a pen to that kind of standard. If a young or beginning poet expresses something that moves me, I can appreciate it without insisting it be as perfectly crafted as Yeats. I have more grades than 'A' and 'F'.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/16/2005 12:59:00 AM) Post reply

Max, my previous (somewhat covert) comment has followed you in the open, see below: Max, you have your brain substance in perfect order and all the glial cells appear very efficient. As to judg ... more

• Poetry Hound (7/15/2005 10:32:00 PM) Post reply

It's hard to discuss these things on a theoretical level for very long. No one thinks that the poetry they like is mediocre, and I assume those who like Tiffany Etter's poems do not consider them mediocre. So Robert '$$$' Rorabeck or some other Tiffany fan, please point us to one of your favorite Tiffany poems and we'll have a look and see if folks find it mediocre.

• Robert Rorabeck (7/15/2005 1:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

I have new poems to put on but I keep getting a 'server error' when I try- yet I can comment on other poets' poetry. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what I might try doing to fix this? (And I don't want to hear the suggestion of not submitting, Poetry Hound, or any other rightwinger paladin conquistador hunchback crusaders) . Cheers, Rob.

• Michael Shepherd (7/15/2005 2:38:00 PM) Post reply

Hey $$$ $$$ (may I call you $$$?) - people who want to read you can 't call you up on the check list of poets... just thought you ought to know. Maybe connected with your problem?

• Michael Shepherd (7/15/2005 4:18:00 AM) Post reply

It's been happening quite a bit recently - and not only on this site. Generally, a second attempt works fine. Good luck!

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Robert Rorabeck (7/15/2005 1:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The only person I read anymore on Poetry Hunter is Tiffany Etter- is that wrong? (It feels so right.)

• Poetry Hound (7/15/2005 11:33:00 AM) Post reply

Lamont, how open-minded of you! I can just see you squirming as you wrote that, just dying to proclaim which poets are lousy and which are great. I'm not sure I like this new, non-absolutist Lamont. N ... more

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (7/15/2005 12:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

The best kind of snob holds himself to the same standards as he does others. I thought the two poems I posted ('Market Forces' especially) were good but Michael, Lamont & Poetry Hound thought otherwise. I guess Ill have to reconsider my opinion. An admirable poetry snob asks himself, 'if this werent my poem, would I still like it? ' Im going to post two more poems, after asking myself this question about them and answering yes. P-Snob

• Michael Shepherd (7/15/2005 10:29:00 AM) Post reply

Good thinking, PS. I do this all the time - but if I still stand by it, i post it just the same, and to hell with the critics. I usually know what's sub-standard about it anyway. But your 'Market ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/15/2005 3:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

For once I must agree with your reasoning.And if you after re-reading them over a large can of Coors or a glass of Valpolicella, still think they are good then they are. H

• Allan James Saywell (7/14/2005 5:22:00 PM) Post reply

my blood buzzes like a hornets nest, i hope i dont spend all my life searching for a line of poetry, just like that

• Michael Shepherd (7/14/2005 2:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Anne Sexton - what's going on? And where does Jeffrey McDaniel come into it? I'm confused... whose Angels of Love Afairs?

• Poetry Hound (7/14/2005 3:55:00 PM) Post reply

Michael, this is indeed strange. The poems that were posted a few hours ago under Sexton's name are definitely by Anne Sexton. I don't know who Jeffrey McDaniel is or why Sexton's poems are listed und ... more

• Raynette Eitel (7/14/2005 9:55:00 AM) Post reply

Max and Herbert ought to take their show on the road...: Liederhosen, Love it or Leave It.' Good that you took up poetry, Max.

• Poetry Hound (7/14/2005 7:25:00 AM) Post reply

Good to see all the Anne Sexton poems posted. I am not as familiar with her as Lamont is, but some of these appear to be her later poems. One in particular, 'Angels of the Love Affair, ' I highly recommend. It's too long to post the whole thing, but here is one section:

6. ANGEL OF BEACH HOUSES AND PICNICS

Angel of beach houses and picnics, do you know solitaire?
    Fifty-two reds and blacks and only myself to blame.
    My blood buzzes like a hornet's nest. I sit in a kitchen chair
    at a table set for one. The silverware is the same
    and the glass and the sugar bowl. I hear my lungs fill and expel
    as in an operation. But I have no one left to tell.

Once I was a couple. I was my own king and queen
    with cheese and bread and rosé on the rocks of Rockport.
    Once I sunbathed in the buff, all brown and lean,
    watching the toy sloops go by, holding court
    for busloads of tourists. Once I called breakfast the sexiest
    meal of the day. Once I invited arrest

at the peace march in Washington. Once I was young and bold
    and left hundreds of unmatched people out in the cold.

[Hata Bildir]