Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • A.p. Sweet (10/13/2005 9:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Everyone here has to read David Hock's stuff, it is really good.

• allan james saywell (10/13/2005 5:22:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i'm a multi facetted poet with a diamond crusted edge well thats what my mother said

• allan james saywell (10/13/2005 5:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

good morning fellow ground hogs earth shakers and chinese poets

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/13/2005 3:05:00 PM) Post reply Stage

AJS SAY NOTHING IN THE FORUM FROM NOW ON AS HE DOESN'T WANT TO GET INTO TROUBLE

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/13/2005 4:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

While JC is absent and roaming around the desert looking for foxes and spinifex
    (while thinking about all those foreigners whose command of the English language may not be up to some imaginary standard) I would like to take the opportunity to nominate a poet whose native tongue is not English (though it may be a sharp tongue when called upon) for special recognition and hereby bestow upon her
    the title 'JEWEL OF THE MAIN' (whereby Main is a raging river in the Fatherland and is pronounced MINE) .
    Written and authorised by
    Haines (jr)

• Ernestine Northover (10/12/2005 9:39:00 AM) Post reply Stage

When I posted my thank you message to the Forum, I inadvertently spelt some names wrong, and left out some as well, so here I would like to apologize for these errors! Apologies to Rajaram and Rebekah, and add the names of Sallie, Marcy and Cokbod. Many thanks again. Sincerely Ernestine Northover

• Poetry Hound (10/12/2005 8:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

John Kay recently recommended a Philip Levine poem to me. Then I came across this one in a recent New Yorker. What do folks think of Levine?

I was Married On the Fiftieth
    Birthday Of Pablo Neruda

Neither of us knew how crucial a day
    it would become in the history
    of poetry. He was in a Paris
    bistro sipping a chilled Moulin –à- Vent
    with his mistress, waiting for the chef
    - a Catalan he’d favored since ’39 –
    to deliver on the promised mongetes amb
    butifarra he’d yearned for all that lean day,

while I was in a courthouse in Boone,
    North Carolina, staring at a poster
    of three auto wrecks and the one word
    “Think! ” in blazing red. The circuit judge
    who’d just asked me, “Do you plight your troth? ”
    - seeing my befuddlement – saved the day:
    “Just say yes, young fellow, and we can all
    move on to what you been waiting for.”

-Philip Levine

• Bill Smith (10/12/2005 8:30:00 AM) Post reply Stage

favourite movies, i love French cinema, cannot say when my love affair with it began but a long time ago hence two of my favourites are French, Jean DeFlorette and Diva, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with Spencer Tracy, Remember the Titans to name but a few..music.60's Soul and Motown..Northen Soul

• Michael Shepherd (10/12/2005 5:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

...and if you haven't forgotten about poetry, what do you make of Don Share (poetry editor of Harvard Review etc ha) reading his ultimate prose-yawn-poem 'A Drop in the Bucket', selected by Pinsky, on Slate online WashPo? Musick, mesick, usick?

• Zeze Zemira (10/11/2005 5:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hiya, Adam Sandler is good i must admit.I saw him in '50 First Date' and i couldnt just stop laughing.Was talikin with my friends abt it, i tink aside entertaining us in that film, he passed a msg, which is, true love for anything directs strenght, thought, drive and vision.i would love to watch more of his moveis. if anyone can offer me a list i will be too glad.
    zeze

[Hata Bildir]