Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (9/25/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply

Googling around while we still can (see the News Headlines on the Homepage these last few days) in response to the recent request for a poem to read at a funeral, it's a surprise to find that there is no really famous poem on death - for all the volumes of world poetry that have themselves lived and died or been embalmed...
    There are outbursts of personal emotion, such as Donne and Dylan Thomas, and a few distinguished ones about death in battle, and a few from the Persian and Sufi tradition, and the anonymous one attributed to various writers (Mary Frye on this site) , 'Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep'; and one from Frost; no wonder that most settle for the biblical solemn beauty of 'there is a time... and a season...'(Ecclesiastes 3.1) or occasionally that evening prayer for the living about 'the evening comes, the world is hushed, and the fever of life is over...'
    Is it considered beyond poetry? Is it considered too divisive in terms of faith in afterlife or not. I won't suggest a comp.... But I'm suprised. I would have expected something ringing, from Milton for instance, or tender from Yeats, or profound from Rilke. Richard Strauss' 'Last Songs' have set the texts (can't remember who - Holderlin?) memorably of course.
    Have I missed something? Perhaps something inadequately translated as yet, from German, for instance?
    In actuality, I send one of my own as consolation; but I find that a little embarrassing; I'd rather send something by another.

• Emilie T (9/25/2005 5:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hi

Herbert Nehrlich is right.Paul England was back.But I passived his recent account.

Regards

Replies for this message:
    • Poetry Hound (9/25/2005 6:25:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks, I think you and Collette are doing a great job running this site. The forum is much much better than it used to be. Regards.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/25/2005 6:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

There is nothing that I would like more than have this website run the way it could and should. And if management sees to it that this happens I will be the first to say so. Best wishes H

• Angela Hansard (9/24/2005 4:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

There are alot of people who would not mind them shutting this site down. You people have made this site disgusting. Yes I took my poetry off, and I look from time to time to see what smut you are writing here on the forum. I made a few friends here who were nice and I would miss their works. For the rest of you goodbye would be toooo nice of a word to say to you. May God bless you all and have mercy on your soul.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/24/2005 6:51:00 PM) Post reply

Angela, perhaps you could contact Paul England and make a real good Christian effort to save his soul. That would get both of you out of our collective hairs. My aunt Hulda, conservative as she wa ... more

• Poetry Hound (9/24/2005 4:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Angela, if it's so disgusting, why do you keep coming back for a peek? The fact is, the forum is simply a place where people express their opinions. If you can't handle opinions that differ from yours ... more

• Michael Shepherd (9/24/2005 11:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Oooh you big bullies! Name yourselves! Would you close down the site for the rest of us without consultation? Remember that Paul England (the reformed social worker) only vituperated against those who took up cudgels against him...cool it, guys...

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/24/2005 6:21:00 PM) Post reply

Michael this is blatantly untrue.He was not the victim, he was scum and remained scum. Reformed social worker? He claims to be a reformed drug addict. He was described as a police snitch and wor ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (9/23/2005 6:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

is there anyone out there who can translate a couple of my poems into the french language, a couple that a woman would like, you could post them on the forum so she can read them

• Michael Shepherd (9/24/2005 5:07:00 AM) Post reply

There's a translation engine on the web. I guarantee you won't recognise the fractured surrealism of the poems when millions of Frenchmen and women scratch their heads over the results...

• Alice Berquist (9/23/2005 3:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My mother died recently and I am looking for a poem to read that would be appropropriate at a service. What are your suggestions?

• Michael Shepherd (9/23/2005 3:51:00 PM) Post reply

There are four poems often read these days at funerals. There's Auden's 'Funeral Blues' because it's so b eautifully 'over the top' in classical elegy form that people feel begtter for it; there Alice ... more

• Lamont Palmer (9/23/2005 2:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

By the way JC, you're utterly wrong about me being Pearson. But thats ok, you're wrong about a lot of stuff. Anyway, I shouldnt have to prove I'm NOT Pearson, you must prove I AM. Till you can do that, case closed.

• Poetry Hound (9/23/2005 3:31:00 PM) Post reply

Right on, Lamont! It's impossible to prove a negative. How could you be expected to come up with evidence of something that you're saying isn't true? The ball's in JC's court to prove you are Pearson. ... more

• Mary Nagy (9/23/2005 1:14:00 PM) Post reply

Hey Sherrie,
    I just had to say thanks to you for commenting on my 'Why Won't You Read My Poetry? ' poem. I would've sent a private message but you don't allow. I know you're always checking in here so I figured this way you are 'thanked'. I really appreciate your opinion. My family also finds it difficult sometimes to understand that darker poems don't always mean exactly what they say....venting through poetry saves alot of money on therapy bills! Why can't they get that? Take care, and thanks again. Sincerely, Mary

• Michael Shepherd (9/23/2005 8:26:00 AM) Post reply

A public apology, if it's needed...

A coupla weeks back, when I 'outed' Poetry Snob by guesswork, I carried on the joke by saying how much I'd enjoyed being 'Matthew Pearson'...haha... then that thread with its subsequent outraged correspondence which I didn't read if any, disappeared, either accidentally or removed by Collette or Emily, within hours. It's happened accidentally before. Max is the only one who's mentioned seeing it. But in case anyone was taken in... no, I was not 'Matthew Pearson'... I'd've slammed MS harder if I had been, to throw you off the scent! But the Mississippi certainly took offence...

• Michael Shepherd (9/23/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Any responses on Amicai, whose 'A Precise Woman' amused me?

And to show off my withitness to my pals - what do y'all make of 'Everybody Hates Chris'which I think premiers tonite?

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (9/23/2005 8:07:00 AM) Post reply

it looks like it should be a pretty good series. Chris Rock is one funny dude. but the show has been hyped so much, i don't think it will exceed expectations. boy, you are really with it, Microso ... more

[Hata Bildir]