Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/28/2005 2:44:00 AM) Post reply

I have posted two poems. One The Other Terrorists, the other To Take You For A Ride.
    Both are critical of modern medicine. Since I am in the very midst of it I can assure you that my observations (and the intended social message) are not the ravings of a lunatic or someone who is against anything mainstream or establishment. There is much wrong with today's society and much more in modern medicine.
    Corruption and the mostly successful attempts to make everyone think they are sick (because no matter how bad the food, environment etc. not everyone will get sick, thus one needs to convince them that they are) is what the Sickness Industry represents.

Since this is not the place to discuss these matters (except for some brief comments perhaps) I would ask those tempted to disagree or motivated to discuss the issues, that I am available outside the forum.
    Meanwhile, if you read the poems, I hope you will enjoy them as much as I did writing them.
    Best
    H

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (10/27/2005 8:17:00 PM) Post reply

another from Spike, who's epitaph reads: 'told you I was sick'

THE DANCER

He danced with a monkey
    He danced with a cat
    And he danced with a man
    In a big black hat
    He danced with a Muslim
    He danced with a Jew
    And he danced with a Chinaman
    Six foot two
    Then he took all his clothes off
    And danced all day
    That's when they came
    And took him away.

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (10/27/2005 6:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Moovers, nose pickers and Shakers, here's a piece of Milliganese insanity and genius. The world is a much sadder place without him.

PIFFED

I piffed at my mother
    I piffed at my dad
    'Will you stop that piffing
    It's driving us mad! '
    I piffed at my mistress
    The next day at school
    I piffed and I piffed
    The silly old fool.
    I piffed at Willy
    I piffed at Bert
    And I piffed at the tail
    Of my grandad's shirt
    Oh I piffed and I piffed
    Oh I piffed everywhere.
    Then I piffed at the Queen
    So there - so there.

Replies for this message:
    • Allan James Saywell (10/27/2005 6:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

milligan he's crazier then me, i thought i was crazy actually i feel normal again after reading that i feel that after reading that poem i will ask for a release

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler Rookie - 1st Stage (10/27/2005 1:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i'll agree, Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' is a tough album to beat. most jazz people regard Miles Davis' 'Kind of Blue' as the best jazz album ever recorded. but for my money, 'Love' perhaps even tops 'Blue' for it's smoky winding sax and funky improvisation. i recommend both albums as a start for anybody interested in getting introduced to jazz music.

http: //www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/27/music.coltrane.reut/index.html

• Poetry Hound (10/27/2005 3:48:00 PM) Post reply

Both of those albums are great, alhtough I prefer 'Birth of the Cool' to 'Kind of Blue.' However, I hate the idea of a 'best' jazz album because it's so subjective. And you have to leave out brilliant ... more

• Colin Down Rookie - 1st Stage (10/27/2005 11:34:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi, there I thought that this would be a good place for information. I recently aquired a small leather bound poetry book by Matthew Arnold, it dates from 1928, can anyone tell me about this book, and would it be worth insuring?
    Many thanks
    Colin

• Michael Shepherd (10/27/2005 4:06:00 PM) Post reply

If I were you, I'd email Maggs or another of the rare book dealers in London and ask them the going rate. Arnold died in 1888 and out of fashion now, so I doubt it's worth much.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler Rookie - 1st Stage (10/27/2005 8:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

hey, what are you all doing for Hallowe'en? parties, costumes, masquerades, burnt pagan offerings, etc?

• Mary Nagy (10/27/2005 8:09:00 PM) Post reply

Taking the kids trick-or-treating and then passing out candy at our house......typical halloween.

• Michael Shepherd (10/27/2005 3:46:00 PM) Post reply

A nice bit of timing over here - they've just found a 'witch-bottle' one of 200 or so found to date: you get the local white witch to fill it with a concoction of 30 or so ingredients, then stick it i ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/27/2005 11:13:00 AM) Post reply

On my knees fending off the ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties, and things that go bump in the night, praying that All Saints' Day will arrive on schedule this year... is there another way ... more

• Mary Nagy Rookie - 1st Stage (10/27/2005 5:42:00 AM) Post reply

A day late.......but HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RONBERGE! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• Marcy Jarvis Rookie - 1st Stage (10/27/2005 5:30:00 AM) Post reply

Brush your breath, brush your breath, brush your breath with DENTINE!

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (10/26/2005 7:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Movers, those who eat soup with a fork, and Shakers. A little reminder that life through poetry isn't all doom and gloom. Nor is it a venue to vomit hatred,
    intermixed with racial vilification on to defenseless paper. Here's an example of how poetry can touch the soul deeply.

MORNING SONG

Love set you going like a fat gold watch.
    The midwife slapped your foootsoles, and your bald cry
    Took it's place among the elements.

Our voices echo, magifying your arrival. New statue,
    In a drafty museum, your nakedness
    Shadows our safety. We stand round blankly as walls.

I'm no more your mother
    Than the cloud that distils a mirror to reflect its
    own slow
    Effacement at the wind's hand.

All night your moth-breath
    Flickers among the flat pink roses. I wake to listen:
    A far sea moves in my ear.

One cry, and I stumble from bed, cow-heavy and floral
    In my Victorian nightgown.
    Your mouth opens clean as a cat's. The window square

Whitens and swallows its dull stars. And now you try
    Your handful of notes;
    The clear vowels rise like balloons.

Sylvia Plath

• Allan James Saywell Rookie - 1st Stage (10/26/2005 7:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

i have to ask this question i realize it's not the place to do it, but how much do YOU pay for a litre of petrol on average in the USA

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/27/2005 4:30:00 AM) Post reply

I am so happy that my 5.7 Hemi V-8 uses so little fuel. H

• Mary Nagy (10/26/2005 7:43:00 PM) Post reply

Here in Michigan we are paying $2.40 per gallon.......that's for normal gas. Diesel fuel is $3.39 per gallon (that's really riling the truckers!)

[Hata Bildir]