Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/16/2005 2:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I HOPE MY SHIT KICKER POEM WAS TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT FOR IT WAS A POEM
    WRITTEN TO MAKE PEOPLE LAUGH IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO OFFEND BUT IF THERE IS SOME POETS OUT THERE WHO FIND IT OFFENSIVE I WILL REMOVE IT
    BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE BUT I WILL WRITE WHAT I WANT WITH MY
    FREEDOM BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT CAUSES ME TO WANT TO WRITE IN THE FIRST PLACE
    I DONT BARE ANY MALICE TOWARD ANY POETS HERE I ENJOY ALL THE POETIC EFFORTS OF
    EVERYONE IF YOU HAVE A GRIPE DONT BE A JUDAS COME OUT AND SAY ALLAN YOU OLD SHIT KICKER YOU ARE OUT OF LINE I WILL HEAR YOU OUT OFFER YOU A OLIVE BRANCH
    KISS YOU RIGHT ON THE MOUTH WITH MY RUBY RED LIPS

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Ben Cassel (11/16/2005 8:37:00 PM) Post reply

Allan, No no no. Don't apologize when your poetry offends someone. And certainly don't pull the piece. When it doesn't offend anybody or offends everybody, it's probably either gratuitous or la ... more

• Rookie ***** ***** (11/16/2005 5:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

My goodness haven't times changed here on PH? ... you certainly seem to have grown to suggest this AJS... but what if people actually DID say they had a problem? smile.

• Rookie Linda Jenkinson (11/16/2005 3:34:00 PM) Post reply

ah the happiness of poets!

• Rookie Cj Heck (11/16/2005 2:15:00 PM) Post reply

LOL... you're a nut, a sweet nut, but a ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/16/2005 1:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

it is good that we have more young people writing lots of poetry even though they want to put it all on in the one day because they are young and have dreams and like all poets they believe in themselves i remember quite a few poets complaining about a certain indian poet who has written the most poems
    yes think about it can you remember and you gave him a hard time
    i defended him even though when i read his work it didn't ring any bells for
    me but it did for other people so i am going to read some poems that are there
    give a bit of encouragement to our youth and try to write at least one poem
    today if i can find some inspiration

• Rookie Cj Heck (11/16/2005 1:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Allan, you're always the gentleman and I admire that. I probably should have thought it through a bit before I went off half-cocked, but it just hit me the wrong way. I feel what Marcy came up with ... more

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/16/2005 1:54:00 PM) Post reply

I think a lot of people aren't even interested in hearing anything, honestly. They just want to do their thing and have their work out there. I see this a lot in the photoblogs where I have been wor ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/16/2005 1:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I COME FROM THE LAND DOWN UNDER
    I BELONG TO A COUNTRY
    FULL OF SOCCER WONDERS
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN WE ARE GOING TO THE WORLD CUP IN SOCCER FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 32 YEARS' LOOK OUT ENGLAND'

• Rookie - 0 Points Cj Heck (11/16/2005 1:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I consider myself to be pretty laid back, and I'm not one to make waves as a rule... but I have a question for everyone. Why is it that so many 'newbies' come to PH and decide to totally populate their page here in only one day? Don't they realize that if they keep it to, say, four or five poems tops, that other poets might possibly be able to read their work and comment? There's no way I can read fifty new poems from one poet, nor would I want to in one day. I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes. I mean no disrespect. Just seems like common sense to me... (Shup now, CJ, you've said enough)

• Rookie - 0 Points Lori Boulard (11/16/2005 2:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes, good point, CJ. Having been guilty of it myself when I first 'joined' PH, I can say that most don't think about that. They may just be excited to find a 'home' for their poetry and want to get ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Declan McHenry (11/16/2005 1:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You have a fair point there CJ. As a newcomer here myself perhaps I can add a perspective. For me, there was a real temptation to get 20 odd years of back catalogue onto the system. The rating system ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Marcy Jarvis (11/16/2005 1:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

There isn't anything in the posting guidlelines that makes that indicates this. I had been reading (you know, the 'Real poets') here off and on for a couple of years just because once in a while I'd ... more

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/16/2005 10:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Check out two of the contenders that I've tracked down for the cover art already. One is Derek from upstate NY. he calls himself 'undead' - that's always a good sign. http: //derek-stuff.buzznet.com/user/? id=1014575

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/16/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

I'm with Mahnaz!

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/16/2005 10:35:00 AM) Post reply

and now say hello to Daisies from the Phillipines, for something TOTALLY different. http: //daisies.buzznet.com/user/? id=1465976

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/16/2005 10:34:00 AM) Post reply

This is for the COFFEE issue. I may be a contender in this one. We'll see. Right now I am strictly the art director. (If you're talking about the FAVORITES anthology, Lori's daughter did that, I ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/16/2005 10:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I thought you'd done the cover art, Marc ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (11/16/2005 9:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

well, wait a minute, maybe we'll all be able to quit our day jobs! Maybe we'll resurrect the 'professional poet' vocation! Who cares whether the poems are in books, or on cocktail napkins, toilet paper, whatever! Hell, one American entrapeneur has been renting out the FOREHEADS of basketball players who get on TV, for ads. Anyone got a free forehead? Nah, scratch that one. But I can see us spending our days at 'the factory'-POETS' COLLECTIVE NAPKIN FACTORY. Or, well, ok, POEMHUNTERS' COLLECTIVE. How about short poems on Fortune Cookies? Right up Marcy's alley! Onward, think tank!

• Rookie - 7 Points Lori Boulard (11/16/2005 8:35:00 PM) Post reply

Down, boy, I meant that the more readers drink, the better our poetry sounds, until they think we're all geniuses. But tipsy's good, too... I'll go with tipsy.

• Rookie - 7 Points Lori Boulard (11/16/2005 11:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

stop, Max, you're killing me! The Napkin Factory part had - you guessed it - coffee coming out of my nose! I think we should do beer/drinking poems on coasters: by the second pitcher we'll all be Gi ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Marcy Jarvis (11/16/2005 9:10:00 AM) Post reply

yes, me and Frank O'Hara on fortune cookies.

• Rookie Pickled Onion (11/16/2005 7:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

heya

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/16/2005 4:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's a suggestion. Efrem Teymur founded this site from sheer love of poetry. There are now ads on this site by Google, for which service presumably they pay Temur and the advertisers pay Google. And Google presumably places the ads we see here on all the (4000+?) poetry sites on the web. Who presumably do an exchange anyway with Temur to be included in the links on this site.
    If we can persuade Efrem that it's in everybody's interest, he could 'stand behind' our publicity and arrange an ad for the anthology to be Googled to all poetry websites? That would be a start?

You can waste so much money you don't have on placing ads and sending out free review copies to magazines, supplements etc whose business managers always have a shrewd eye for the quid pro quo; it's rare, or used to be, for any poetry book other than those from 'known publishers' to get comment, or to get shelf-space in 'general bookshops'. So web publicity is doubly valuable.

And as I think I mentioned earlier, it might be useful to circulate potentially interested parties (e.g. poets and poetry commentators and reviewers we admire) with the pdf file rather than the book? Altogether quicker and less expensive.

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (11/16/2005 12:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Nikhil Parekh, you seem to have a good sense of press releases and PR. Even if you do not want to write the press release yourself, maybe you could explain what it should say. The PR websites you mention can help, but they probably need something from us to work with. Also, will you be available for interviews?

• Rookie - 150 Points Jerry Hughes (11/16/2005 1:06:00 AM) Post reply

Hound, on Nikhil, we will have to agree to disagree. Cos I'm a strong advocate for the old adage: K. I. S. S. Keep it short, stupid.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/15/2005 10:25:00 PM) Post reply

THIS SITE IS WONDERFULL IN THE FACT THAT MY AGE IS STILL THE SAME DONT WORRY IT
    WILL CATCH UP NEXT YEAR

[Hata Bildir]