Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • allan james saywell (8/1/2005 7:09:00 AM) Post reply

congratulations to herbert who has joined the 1000 poem club welcome aboard herbert it isn't easy is it herbert, i will toast you tonight
    by the way it is a green door with the words welcome

• Michael Shepherd (8/1/2005 6:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Better check a poem or two on your poemsabout.com page, folks. There are two line-length errors on a poem I put up last night. Haven't looked any further yet.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Michael Philips (7/31/2005 12:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I had a poetry instructor who would take little snippets of poetic ideas and put them into storage. He had little images, lines, even single words, that he wanted to try to use in future poems. Last year, I started doing the same thing. Sometime I'll come back to a little snippet and it will suddenly germinate into a full poem. Others languish for months waiting to see the light.

• Casey Rock (7/31/2005 2:38:00 PM) Post reply

This is how all of my poems take shape. I am constantly writing down ideas, thoughts, feelings, etc. wherever I am; parked at a red light, eating dinner, at the movies...I try not to let anything slip ... more

• Raynette Eitel (7/31/2005 11:37:00 AM) Post reply

Re: Sherrie's great question: If I am really still and in a post-dream attitude when I first awaken, I find poems are right there up front in my mind. Other times, poems come when I am listening to music or to creative words such as Cole Porter. I just have to go write a poem, even though it probably doesn't have a thing to do with the song just sung. If I ignore my muse, it pouts and doesn't come around for days. I'm not kidding. If I have trouble with a poem, I find it best to leave it and when I return, my muse has written it nicely in my head and it is a 'go.' Most of my writing is on my computer, but when I travel, I take my journal with me for poems that happen.

• Gol Mcadam (7/31/2005 11:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

RE. SHERRIE'S TOPIC & MAX'S COMMENT. This is interesting. I tend to write initially on paper. The key phrase or the seed of the poem 'hits' me and I go for it - jotting it down and developing it immediately. Then, like Michael, I tend to sleep on it before putting it on the computer. So, the computer is acting as an editing tool. What I have found, and I am trying to get at this in my piece 'Stillborn', is that what hits me is not always what I had initially thought it to be and I find myself unable to articulate the thing. No matter how I try, it just can't be said and the resultant poem is dead on the page. Does everybody have this problem?

• Michael Shepherd (7/31/2005 12:10:00 PM) Post reply

Yes, Gol, frequently! So I took a tip from the wonderful stone sculptors of Zimbabwe: it's all spirit to them. Sometimes the man's spirit is stronger, the stone must obey him; sometimes he should list ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/31/2005 4:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

New topic if I may. I have been accused of being a re-incarnation of Dr. Seuss by some. Probably should be greatly flattered, but I would like to know what Max, Michael, Raynette, Linda, Allan, Lawrence, Ronberge, Jerry et al. think about his work.
    This foreigner would like to know.
    Thanks in advance
    H

• Stephen Park (7/31/2005 1:13:00 PM) Post reply

Dr Seuss was a great writer. Stephen Pinker, writing about language from an evolutionary perspective, makes several references to him, which are as great a tribute as anyone could wish for. 'the langu ... more

• Raynette Eitel (7/31/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If I may come lately and answer your question, Herbert. For a time, I taught little children and have to say that kids love Dr. Seuss. His unusual characters, his repetition, his rhymes all appeal to ... more

• Michael Shepherd (7/31/2005 10:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dr Seuss has a message for PH management: 'Say what you want and be who you are, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind' ...

• Michael Shepherd (7/31/2005 8:59:00 AM) Post reply

I'm with Richard on this. Comedy is divi ... more

• Max Reif (7/31/2005 8:55:00 AM) Post reply

Gee, Herbert, I certainly wouldn't have ... more

• Richard George (7/31/2005 5:49:00 AM) Post reply

I don't know the guy's work as well as I ... more

• Michael Shepherd (7/31/2005 5:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Michael says - Who? ...

• Michael Shepherd (7/30/2005 10:28:00 AM) Post reply

I think you've hit the whatsit on the head, Gol and Max. I noticed reading your poem, that the 'shock value' seemed equal to the 'prohibition value'. There maybe something in this re your wife's story, Max - who's saying it?
    I once (as I wrote in a poem) attended an army course with several grunts whose sentences were delayed by using the f-word every other word - noun, verb, adjective, adverb, intensive... it did delay messages (we were in the Signals Corps...)

• Angela Hansard (7/30/2005) Post reply | Read 6 replies

All poets need to remember that kids of all ages are reading this site. They do not need to be reading these vulgar poems. Also remember how would you feel if you knew Jesus was reading these poems? He knows everything that goes on anyway. This site should be kept clean. There are plenty of ways to express yourself without using the words thats being used. Also God has given you your gift to write and he has the power to take it away if not done for his will.
    Remember Jesus loves you and God does to. God answers prayers.

• Max Reif (7/30/2005 10:54:00 AM) Post reply

Angela, This quote came in one of my daily e-mails today: 'Of all the millions of believers in God perhaps only one makes God a reality, and that is because the picture man makes of God is as limited ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/30/2005 3:07:00 AM) Post reply

Dear Angel: While I agree with you in principle and see no need for profanity in everyday life in normal times and circumstances, it nevertheless was God (and his only son Jesus) who gave us the abi ... more

• Jerry Hughes (7/30/2005 1:34:00 AM) Post reply

Indeed: Jesus loves me, this I know. So does rag-time cowboy, Joe. Ah, well?

• Sylvia Spencer (7/30/2005 1:31:00 AM) Post reply

I am so glad that someone feels the same ... more

• Poetry Hound (7/30/2005 12:32:00 AM) Post reply

With all due respect, Angela, I sincerel ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Jerry Hughes (7/29/2005 2:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

LANGUAGE, GENTLEMAN, LANGUAGE. EXPLETIVES FOR A GENUINE CAUSE, NOT JUST EFFECT?

• Poetry Hound (7/29/2005 7:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Obvious but essentially correct, Jerry. For a good example of how to use expletives creatively, see Jake Hassler's poem, 'The C-Bomb'

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/29/2005 3:15:00 AM) Post reply

Exactement! Look at my poem Clean Language for guidance. Ronberge seems to approve. H

• A.p. Sweet (7/28/2005 6:37:00 PM) Post reply

Has anyone ever listened to Viggo Mortensen (The guy who played Aragorn in the Lord Of The Rings movies) poetry or ever listened to his cd's. If not I recommend getting the Beyond Baroque 2 cd at his website. The cd was put together to raise money for the Venice Arts Center in Venice California. It has some great poets on there including Viggo and Saul Williams.

[Hata Bildir]