Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Michael Philips (11/18/2005 3:23:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I just received my copy of Jefferson Carter's book! I'm very impressed. The title poem, 'Litter Box, ' is a scream. The cover art is quite the delight too. I highly recommend the book to everyone.

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/18/2005 2:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Oh, happy weekend, everyone. For your viewing pleasure, updated anthology files are online at http: //www.geocities.com/ph_poem_collection_2005. I had to keep separate files for the cover, intro/TOC and poems due to formatting, but hopefully you can view it all together on lulu next week once I walk it through.
    Before you ask, I will do my best to get it through publishing by Thanksgiving (something to be thankful for) which is next Thursday for all you non-Yanks. When it's ready, I'd like to test it first to make sure it's right before general orders go in. Cost is guessed at around $10US + shipping but I'll know better next week.

Please view it this weekend if you can; after that THERE WILL BE NO MORE CHANGES possible.
    Have a great weekend, and check out poems by Declan McHenry, Ben Cassel and Denis McMahon if you can. I shall.
    A bientot,
    Lori

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Declan McHenry (11/18/2005 1:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Hi folks. The way this forum is set up it's impossible to search to see if a question has already been asked so sorry if this is a repeat.

The PoemHunter website has, really for the first time, allowed me to read a lot of work by American writers. From my own opinion there seem to be quite significant differences in form and style between those writing on one side of the Atlantic compared to the other. Part of this may be down to cultural references but I'm not entirely certain that is a full explanation for the differences. Has anyone got any thoughts on defining or explaining the difference (if you agree there is one) ?

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/18/2005 9:38:00 PM) Post reply

I may get pounded for this, but hey, it's happened before. In all honesty - myself guilty as well - we Americans can confuse innovation with, well, laziness. There is value to UNDERSTANDING the rul ... more

• Rookie Ernestine Northover (11/18/2005 2:54:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with Michael in that we English are far more staid and do tend to search for the truth in everything, I think americans have a younger outlook and are braver in trying out new prose. With us i ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/18/2005 1:40:00 PM) Post reply

Declan, it came up once but we didn't give it a good run, since most of us only know one or the other. I think only Adam can really compare. I haven't read much contemporary British poetry. Sonja may ... more

• Rookie Poetry Hound (11/18/2005 1:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Extremely interesting question. But I'm ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/18/2005 11:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I would like to let everyone know my niece CRYSTAL JOHNSON is going to join us here at poemhunter! I hope you'll all maker her feel welcomed and read her poems. From what I've read, I think she is very talented! Thanks guys. Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/18/2005 2:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Wow, it runs in the family! Welcome to her, I'm sure she'll feel right at home.

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/18/2005 1:29:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks to those who checked her out! I'm actually really impressed. I think she'll have no trouble fitting right in here! Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (11/18/2005 7:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

One of my favorite (most true to life as I've known it) quotes, on PATIENCE, by the sage, Inayat Khan. Comments?

'Patience is the most difficult thing in life and, once this is
    mastered, man will become the master of all difficulties. Patience,
    in other words, may be called the power of endurance during the
    absence of the desired things or conditions. They say death is the
    worst thing in life, but, in point of fact, patience is often worse
    than death.

One would prefer death to patience when patience is severely tried.
    Patience is a life power. It is a spiritual power and the greatest
    virtue that one can have; for it is a cross and, on this, the patient

one is crucified. And, as resurrection follows crucifixion, so all
    success and happiness must follow the trying moments of patience.'

• Rookie - 7 Points Lori Boulard (11/18/2005 10:44:00 AM) Post reply

and may I say how wonderful it is to hear actual POETIC discussion here on the forum this morning... a welcome change, if I may say so.

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (11/18/2005 10:41:00 AM) Post reply

There's a stunning letter on patience by Marsilio Ficino 1433-1499, which I had the privilege of translating into English for the first time...He reasons it step by step 'Patience makes the inevitable ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Declan McHenry (11/18/2005 8:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I remember hearing the following being attributed to Saint Augustine, but personally I'm not certain it is one of his: 'Patience is the reward of patience.' Regardless of who coined it, you can look a ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Poetry Hound (11/18/2005 7:59:00 AM) Post reply

I almost made the obvious joke of saying ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (11/18/2005 7:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Well if it's not too soon for Christmas songs, it's not too soon for Christmas poems. Does anyone have an opinion on Dylan Thomas' old saw, 'A Child's Christmas In Wales? ' Some may reject it as 'prosey, ' others as excessively maudlin, but there's no denying it's a classic.

• Rookie - 150 Points Lori Boulard (11/18/2005 10:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Where can I hear this? I'll read it if that's the only way, but Max mentioned a reading, which is always more interesting, I feel.

• Rookie - 150 Points Max Reif (11/18/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply

It was quite wonderful hearing it on the radio as we drove back from Monterrey last Christmas season! (But possibly Dylan Thomas could read even the phone book aloud, and I'd think it wonderful.) The ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/18/2005 4:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Why is it that all the locker-jock stuff on this site comes from Australia? Is it something in the water?

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/18/2005 5:28:00 AM) Post reply

Well, whatever, it reduces the poetic ascent of Olympus to a mere floor-ride.

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/18/2005 5:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, let's see now Michael. Melbourne, home of poet Jerry is totally fluoridated. This is equivalent to being lobotomised. That's why I think that Jerry is imbibing foreign liquids. Allan is right on ... more

• Rookie - 780 Points Jerry Hughes (11/17/2005 10:29:00 PM) Post reply

As the predilection for testis pesists, here's a Christmas poem in context:

T'was Christmas night in the harem
    and the eunuchs stood in a row -
    polishing dainty nipples -
    and brushing the hair below.
    In strode the mighty Sultan -
    right through the great seven halls.
    'What would you like for a Christmas present? '
    And the eunuchs shouted, BALLS!

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/17/2005 7:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

I just wanted to say...Last week in class we were discussing poetry (my teacher HATES poetry) but I had my 'book' of poetry in my bag. I have all my poems in a home-made book (a three ring binder holding all my poems printed out in categories...decorated sorta scrapbooky) ...obviously a homemade effort. But, a woman in my class asked if she could read it....I let her take it home and I have to admit I was REALLY nervous to go to class tonight to see what she thought of my poems. I just wondered if you guys (and gals) here have had similar experiences when you first started sharing your poems 'in person'. I really sweated it out this weekend wondering how stupid is she thinking I am? ? ? What kind of nut am I coming acrossed to her as? ? ? Very stressful! I was so...happy to hear her say her (and her husband) liked my book but, I was suprised how my nerves were crazy at the thought of somebody really sitting down with my soul exposed right in front of them. (I hope this makes sense) . It seemed weird to me since I post here all the time and don't really experience the worries like I did over this past week. Just curious if this was just expected when you start letting people really read your work..........? Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie Max Reif (11/18/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's a really touching incident from my PH bio, about 'bringing home' my first, hand-made little book of poems: *** By now, YOUNG MAN GONE WEST was almost finished. A little more writing and a ... more

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/18/2005 6:55:00 AM) Post reply

i avoided all of the anxiety by first submitting poems for publication to which i had no emotional attachment. after those were published, i ventured out to the open mic stages with vulgar, silly bal ... more

• Rookie Alice Vedral Rivera (11/18/2005 12:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I feel the same way Mary. And now my family wants me to start reciting my poetry to them - just thinking about it makes my stomach churn - I've usually been able to get my nieces to recite it (they p ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 8:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Oh don't we all...isn't it weird? It's l ... more

To read all of 5 replies click here
  • Rookie Christine Anderson (11/17/2005 6:04:00 PM) Post reply

Hi everyone. Since this is my first forum post, I don't know if there are other songwriters here, or how you feel about songwriting... but I've written a lot of poems, which I set to music, and I'd like to invite you all to take a listen.

All you have to do is visit the link and turn on your speakers. ~: o)

www.christineanderson.net

~: o) Christine

[Hata Bildir]