Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Mary Nagy (11/26/2005 10:26:00 AM) Post reply

Didn't somebody on here mention they had the ability to trace some # to tell where the posts were coming from? That would be interesting to see where True American is actually coming from.

• Joy Vanderhelm (11/26/2005 9:35:00 AM) Post reply

Hey, True American. Can I ask you something? Were your parents born here? How about your grandparents? I KNOW for a fact some family member in your past had to have migrated here because this country isn't that old. It's also supposed to be built on the ideals of tolerance and acceptance of those who have no place else to go and those looking to find a better life. This country started with foreigners, you moron. Even the Native Americans came from somewhere else. You realize that the only thing that breeds more hate and disruption and distrust of this country is ignorance and hatred of those things that we do not understand. If you aren't going to at least try to see another person's point of view, then shut the hell up.

• Michael Shepherd (11/26/2005 5:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

'ello, 'ello, what's all this? This Forum is for discussion of poetry. So name the poem (could it be mine, suggesting that Thanksgiving dates back to the First Eliminated Americans, huh?) and we'll discuss it. Self-criticism, be it personal or national, is the sign of maturity. There are those on this site who don't believe that George Bush is Jesus Christ, Moses, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, or even Mohamed...or that the American Way Of Life is perfect in all details... it's called Democracy and Free Speech.

Replies for this message:
    • Lori Boulard (11/26/2005 7:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Declan, you're onto something...maybe it's my Icarus of America...I always secretly hoped it would raise some eyebrows. Maybe not offend, but beggars can't be choosers!

• Declan McHenry (11/26/2005 7:21:00 AM) Post reply

Dash! I had hoped it was my 'Wake Up Man! ' Yet True American (I'm guessing he means North) does say that the author is a she and apparently resident in the same country as True American.

• Lori Boulard (11/26/2005 7:16:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, there are even AMERICANS on this site who don't believe it. Some believe instead that our country has potential, as long we don't keep saying everything's perfect when it isn't. I'm with you, Mic ... more

• Joseph Daly (11/26/2005 7:15:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Michael, I feel uneasy with this ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/25/2005 6:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

I have a question I would love some opinions on........ What does everyone think about re-posting poems? If a poem was posted almost a year ago and never really received comments or anything is it ok to re-post it? I wondered but wasn't sure how it would be looked upon. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. sincerely, Mary

• Allan James Saywell (11/25/2005 4:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well my little joy if you read enough of my stuff you will not know me better you will be a little more unbalenced then you are now the only way to survive this crazy world is to be as silly as everyone else

• Joy Vanderhelm (11/25/2005 4:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Oh, I'm already unbalanced and can be quite silly at times. It makes life interesting. The world is crazy as can be, But, it makes no difference to me, ... more

• Poetry Hound (11/25/2005 10:48:00 AM) Post reply

In honor of W.S. Merwin winning the National Book Award, here's one of his:

The River Of Bees

In a dream I returned to the river of bees
    Five orange trees by the bridge and
    Beside two mills my house
    Into whose courtyard a blind man followed
    The goats and stood singing
    Of what was older

Soon it will be fifteen years

He was old he will have fallen into his eyes

I took my eyes
    A long way to the calenders
    Room after room asking how shall I live

One of the ends is made of streets
    One man processions carry through it
    Empty bottles their
    Images of hope
    It was offered to me by name

Once once and once
    In the same city I was born
    Asking what shall I say

He will have fallen into his mouth
    Men think they are better than grass

I return to his voice rising like a forkful of hay

He was old he is not real nothing is real
    Nor the noise of death drawing water

We are the echo of the future

On the door it says what to do to survive
    But we were not born to survive
    Only to live

W.S. Merwin

• Michael Shepherd (11/25/2005 6:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

For those with more than a year's memory of this site, I've only just noticed that Rusty Daily (and don't we all...) with the light touch, is back posting...

• Mary Nagy (11/25/2005 10:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Is there a spot where the day we joined is listed?

• Cj Heck (11/25/2005 8:15:00 AM) Post reply

Morning, Michael - yes, I'm glad to see Rusty back. He has a wonderful way of looking at the world and his poetry for children is exceptional.

• Joseph Daly (11/25/2005 6:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet but, by accident I came upon a site (www.PoemsAbout.com) which has my work on it although I did not submit it. I think other colleagues on PoHomay find that their work is also on it.

Anyone got any explanation?

Regards

Denis Joe

• Michael Shepherd (11/25/2005 6:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's run by the same management as a reference tool - though they did not announce the fact of its creation, which is regrettable.

• Ben Cassel (11/24/2005 9:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

New thread: Which is better, to rotate a few poems or keep adding new ones to the collection? I can see merit in both, particularly the opportunity to read a great many works by one author and to choose by relative coolness of the title. But I've decided to try the former and to keep 10 at a time posted until the vegetables tossed at them desiccate and then replace them.

• Michael Shepherd (11/25/2005 6:21:00 AM) Post reply

Personally, I would agree that pruning, spring-cleaning, is well overdue in my case - those poems written out of reaction to some Forum spat especially, which look pointless. And we should think of th ... more

• Joseph Daly (11/24/2005 6:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I thought I might post something of no consequence but I couldn't think of anything.

Is that a sigh of relieve I hear?

Hope you all had a Good Thanksgiving Day all you in the US.

Love ya!

Denis Joe

• Marcy Jarvis (11/25/2005 1:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I think that the flap that evolved over that Hitler poem that kid wrote might just incite him on to greater depths of creativity. It certainly created a storm, didn't it?

• Mary Nagy (11/24/2005 8:02:00 PM) Post reply

Well..........we got through it! Isn't that all we can really ask for Denis? ? ? I hope you had a great day too!

[Hata Bildir]