Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 9:38:00 PM) Post reply

I'm trying to decide between CougarLife.com and DateRussians.com. Both look very interesting. Has anyone tried these websites?You know, give me a little advice.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 9:07:00 PM) Post reply

Lamont, I really don't help from Acker. I just want you to answer three questions: 1) That old but unanswerable chestnut, what is poetry? You keep saying I defy definitions everyone else agrees on, but such definitions don't exist. If, as you suggested, " The Great Gatsby" were broken into lines, what essential quality would keep it from being poetry? 2) What do you mean by music? Strict meter? Alliteration?Rhyme? Music has to do with sound, with form, not content. Why is one rhythm better than another? Why are you so hung up on iambic meter?Doesn't every line have rhythm of some sort? 3) You've said the more " formal poetic devices" a poet uses, the better the poem. I know the plain style eschews rhyme and strict meter, but don't the best plain-spoken poets use such figures of speech as similes and metaphors?

I've been thinking about why I dislike so many plain-style poems I've been reading lately. You're going to faint, but I agree the plain style has fostered the worst kind of flat, uninteresting verse. The chopped-into-lines personal memoirs I hate are prosaic, not because they lack music (though the music supplied by lines breaks in the hands of a good poet like Williams is both subtle and expressive and is absent from the works I despise) but because they lack vivid, precise imagery and original, profound figures of speech; it's their content that sucks, not so much their form.

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 8:50:00 PM) Post reply

I just went to a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and I noticed there was an icon to " Edit Poem" . I clicked it and did a little " cleaning up" for " The Wad" (what his close friends refer to him as) . Yeah, I noticed the poem needed some work, so I helped him out. I changed a few lines around. Not much.

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 5:19:00 PM) Post reply

Figurines

Figures dance, as dark shadows against
    silk shrouds. Some charge, chase, and chivy,
    others are felled, fleeced and flitched

What fate awaits me?Is it
    the figurine, or just a black
    silhouette against the shrewd silk screen?

Mike Acker

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 4:54:00 PM) Post reply

It seems our resident Big Bird(Lamont Palmer, see my poem " Lamont Palmer and His Mediocrities" ;) is getting in too deep.
    i want to help Lamont Palmer by providing the forum with great examples
    of his " genius" . Sometimes how someone actually writes is more relevant than
    what he says(over and over again) .
    Anyone who does not see the genius in the following lines
    from Mr. Pamer's poetry is either blind or not a child in the crowd:

" Drive his tongue from city to city" , or
    " Lay like roadkill at the entrance of ears" , or even
    " in the car Of your thoughts" ....

This is so dense that at first it feels like gold and then upon
    closer inspection it becomes clear that we simply have
    a lot of lead, dead lead.
    These are excerpts from a poem he is so ashamed of, he has deleted it.
    I think we need to take whatever Palmer says with a pound of salt.

• Mohammad Skati Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/19/2014 1:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A poet's style clearly shows him or her greatly to others. Thanks.

Replies for this message:
  • Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 10:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Here's Monty Lamont again, trashing the plain style: " With the plain style, the content has to carry the poem.... It's also a less risky way to write, as you don't have to worry about figures of speech being called 'too dense', or 'too clumsy', etc."

That's exactly my point, Monty. Instead of playing parlor games with rhyme and meter, open form poets who like plain speech focus on original metaphors and similes, which are CONTENT, not form. You seem to be saying (I still am having trouble getting your position about the role of such " poetic devices" as figures of speech in conversational-style poetry) plain verse poets don't use figures of speech. If so, you're plain wrong. If you're saying formal poets employ " dense" figures of speech, which are criticized as " too clumsy, " that's a different issue from your hobby horse about " music." Clear it up, Mr. Clumsy! !

Replies for this message:
    • Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 7:13:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks for giving JC aid and comfort. He badly needed it. -LP

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 4:51:00 PM) Post reply

It seems our resident Big Bird is getting in too deep. i want to help Palmer by providing the forum with great examples of his genius. Sometimes how someone actually writes is more relevant than ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 2:57:00 PM) Post reply

Again, what you call 'parlor tricks', are what great poets call technique, and untilizing the poetic devices that are available to them. Your problem is, you are so relentlessly dedicated to defending ... more

• Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 8:40:00 AM) Post reply

2 whom is Sean speaking 2?Aye! Me w0nders!

• John Westlake Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/19/2014 4:47:00 AM) Post reply

So sad to see that Ed Nigma has taken down all of his poems. A great poet and his works lost.

• Sean North Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 2:10:00 AM) Post reply

thnks Sherrie...glad that wurked 4 u.... poor littLe miCe'S thO......enJoy

[Hata Bildir]