Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Jefferson Carter (4/17/2014 3:47:00 PM) Post reply

Here's a nice poem from the often great Charles Simic,

• Jefferson Carter (4/17/2014 3:43:00 PM) Post reply

Lamont keeps saying I write short stories, meaning, I'd guess, I choose to use colloquial diction, the language humans actually speak every day, but try to heighten it with line breaks and the subtle rhythms already present in any order of words. That's the challenge that interests me. " Content, " which, for me, sometimes grows out of playing with words and images, is a secondary concern. Recently, I was asked what I thought of a local poet's reading, someone who has won prizes, and I realized how much I disliked the clotted, bombastic nature of her poetry. That's exactly what I think of Lamont's poetic efforts: in his stubborn attempt to write " blank" verse, unrhymed iambic pentameter, or just heavily iambic verse, he comes up with sound that is both curdled and blustering. His ear is pure tin; his ambition unrelenting. He does, I admit, care passionately about his own work. If only he'd read a book on poetics, say, Paul Fussell's " Poetic Meter and Poetic Form, " and broaden his poetic horizons instead of relying on the poetics he half-learned in Freshman Literature.

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 12:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Will try to abide again.....

Replies for this message:
    • Frank Ovid (4/17/2014 1:08:00 PM) Post reply

Wow! Excellent. Shocking, enigmatic, nice little rhymes. What's not to like?Your best by far.

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 12:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

My Brother's Keeper When the children were torn apart, And the body parts were thrown out. When light-colored human matter hung on walls like wet cotton balls. They continued with what they ... more

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (4/16/2014 11:55:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Kids! How's every little ol' thing?Any good poems being shared?I'll peruse for a spell. TTYL.

• Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 9:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

When was the very best poetry written?

Pre-1700
    1700-1800
    1800-1900
    1900-1950
    1950-2000
    2000-Present

My choice would 1900-1950. Think of the GREAT poets during that era!

• Frank Ovid (4/17/2014 1:28:00 PM) Post reply

John, I've got you down. Who tips the scale for the 19th century in your mind?Coleridge?Poe?Dickinson?Tennyson?Keats?Who gets your juicy going?

• Gulsher John (4/17/2014 12:08:00 PM) Post reply

i would go for 1800-1900... what is called real poetry, one could enjoy.

• Mike Acker (4/16/2014 7:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I am the most excited here. I had one honorable mention and a plain mention. Mention, nom, win, won, hey I I think I may have won something.
    On a serious note, after two years of writing I am happy to be mentioned. Thank you to those who mentioned my name. I am most appreciative.

Here is my take on personas:

Athenaga and Hermanlungen are probably Palmer wanting to stick it on someone else.

Frank Ovid is someone wanting to seem like he recently appeared on the scene. He/She is one of " us" .

Alexander Rizzo is most likely Sherrie, the whole IMO bit leads me to think that, but it could be Palmer like JC said. Who knows?

Dot Dash is either Danny or Palmer. They are both meticulous " historians" .

The rest are irrelevant.

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 10:57:00 AM) Post reply

I don't know why, but I believe you, Danny.

• Dan Reynolds (4/17/2014 6:19:00 AM) Post reply

I currently have np personas in action. Historically, mine have always been easy to spot, as they were usually spoonerisms, or dislexic puns on another member(s) ' credability. Sorry to disappoint, bu ... more

• Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 8:54:00 PM) Post reply

Mike, what do you think you need to improve upon with regards to your poetry?And what are your strengths?Two questions any writer should continually be asking themselves. Just wondering. I'm not a ve ... more

• Jefferson Carter (4/16/2014 6:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Nice list, Lamont! I'm shocked at your modesty, placing yourself only third. That must have taken all the self-restraint you could muster! ! ! !

Alexander Rizzo Male,42, United States (4/16/2014 5: 09: 00 PM)
    (This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

OK, heres my quickly scribbled list, based on my own observations during my time here, from reading forums posts and visiting a page or two, for what its worth. in reality, lists are silly. i mean, who's the 'better' poet, auden or eliot?its a silly question. but again, Ovid came close to nailing it. Wannargue with my list?Couldnt care less. Its my opinion, though I'd call it a fairly studied one. In descending order - strongest to weakest, with a couple words of explanation. in the end, its really about who's getting their name in print, so while this is 'fun', it doesn't mean diddly squat.

Danny - whatever you think of form, the guy can do sonnets, villanelles, etc.
    Hogg - musical and interesing.
    Palmer - musical, inventive without going off a cliff
    meta - strong content
    Carter - strong content
    Dog 8 - inventive, pushes linguistic envelope
    Delilah - nice, experimental wordplay
    Angie - nice imagery
    Acker. -.some ok philosophical moments

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 3:26:00 PM) Post reply

It's 2014, Palmer. I have a feeling you haven't changed your calendars since 2009.

• Lamont Palmer (4/17/2014 12:36:00 AM) Post reply

Not to mention there have been other lists made over the years. -LP delilah contrapunctal (3/19/2009 2: 37: 00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Here are the names of some people whose work I ... more

• Lamont Palmer (4/17/2014 12:30:00 AM) Post reply

Nope, JC, I'm not Rizzo. And anyway, I'm perfectly happy with my placement on Ovid's list. He put me just one notch below you, and said I'd have been higher if not for his preference for free verse. ( ... more

• Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 6:32:00 PM) Post reply

I'm I the ONLY one who doesn't know who ... more

• Dan Reynolds (4/16/2014 5:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Lists are divisive. except this piece of graffiti I found

Things I hate:
    1) Vandalism
    2) Irony
    3) Lists.

• Douglas Scotney (4/16/2014 8:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dear Dan, Can you think, like me, that this ridiculous giveaway for reading the most poems is a cunningly camouflaged trojan, devised by a bitter Poemhunter-hater to bring it down? I cannot imagine Po ... more

• Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 6:27:00 PM) Post reply

Hysterical! LOL!

• Alexander Rizzo (4/16/2014 4:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

As tedious as it might get, everyone here should preceed their pronouncements with 'in my opinion', as this is all nothing but opinion. Lists are lists are lists. Based on my little experience among members i could make a totally different list, we all could. ovid's list seems to have more credibility, but that doesnt make it flawless. But i do commend ovid for being honest and admitting that his affinity for free-form colors his opinion. Few people will admit their biases. We all have them.

• Alexander Rizzo (4/16/2014 5:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

OK, heres my quickly scribbled list, based on my own observations during my time here, from reading forums posts and visiting a page or two, for what its worth. in reality, lists are silly. i mean, wh ... more

• Mike Acker (4/16/2014 12:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Very Interesting Frankie(frankly I don't care who you really are) .
    Your list is interesting. It is close to what my list would be.

Here is my take:

1. Unquestionably Jefferson Carter. The main reason is that every time I read anything of Lamont Palmer's I always think of molasses dripping and immediately yearn for JC's distilled whiskey..I mean style.
    2. Jim Crawford. Not sure(since I am not a professional critic) how far behind JC Jim is. Jim crawford has both brevity and music in his poetry. Knew nothing about him till very recently.
    3. I believe Jim Hogg, Danny Reynolds, and sometimes Angie Gunnell occupy third position with Jim Hogg at the top in this position. I would like to see Danny Reynolds " let it all hang out" (as someone mentioned recently.
    4. The Scotty Dogg aka Steve Ralph aka Stan Grossman is not far behind the lowest in position three. Have never read anything long though. He my be good at short poems with a punch line and that's it. He seems to be Palmer's barker!
    5. Palmer's biggest weakness is what you get when you do the math on his bark compared to his poetry!

Where do I fit? On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being a Wallace Stevens(The Emperor of Ice Cream, Anecodte of the Jr, etc....) , I am a humble 3 to 4(at worst) and 5 1/2 to 6(at my very best) .

• Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 1:52:00 PM) Post reply

Good list. On a different day mine might have looked like this. Who knows. I'll have to research Crawford. Haven't read much of him yet. Dogg and Grossman write 'Joke Poems', I'd leave them out. And, ... more

• Mike Acker (4/16/2014 1:15:00 PM) Post reply

My screen oozed your sarcasm.

[Hata Bildir]