Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 11:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Bedouin Woman

The Bedouin woman seems old and tired.
    Her favorite son's star is tattooed
    inside her heart. Outside hangs that bloody
    cross. Every morning she places a golden
    dome upon her head, becoming a beacon
    for all those dead.

Her oldest has returned from a bitter
    exile and inhuman fate, displacing his youngest
    brother from their Mother's side. She cried
    sanguine tears for many thousand years
    to have him back, but he is not of her,
    like before.

Her children play their cruel games
    at her ancient, brittle feet. All are hers
    from Fathers now buried deep. Her old hands,
    brown and warm, cannot comfort, anyone,
    anymore. She will live for ever.
    She is the mother of them all.

Mike Acker

(I am not ashamed of anything I have written, unlike some people I know. At least I am realistic about the level of my poetry. My excuse, and a good one if I may say so, is that I have only been interested in poetry(let alone writing it) since April/May of 2012) . What is your excuse, " Scotty Dogg" ? Lamont Palmer claims he has been writing for over 40 years and Cherry Gonzales is even married to a Poet Laureate(of the universe, I believe) , from what " personas" have pointed out.)

Replies for this message:
    • Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (10/2/2014 4:41:00 AM) Post reply

Surely one of your best and matured work Miky, its pathos, colors and images are inspiring.(remind me Joseph Campbell's Old woman, don't know why?

• Peter Stavropoulos Rookie - 1st Stage (10/2/2014 4:33:00 AM) Post reply

The line " She will live for ever" brings all the threads of the poem together and gives it power. In fact, it transcends the poem, in my opinion. Mike you have another poem - the one about ... more

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 11:22:00 PM) Post reply

If I recall correctly, Peter Stavropoulos called Bedouin Woman 'brilliant', but was quickly chastised by the persona Alexander Rizzo(Sherrie or maybe Angie or maybe even Palmer! ! ??) .

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 9:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

For all our devout members, especially Sherrie Kolb Cassel and Lamont Palmer. It may help inspire!

http://creationmuseum.org/

(The state-of-the-art 70,000 square foot museum brings the pages of the Bible to life, casting its characters and animals in dynamic form and placing them in familiar settings. Adam and Eve live in the Garden of Eden. Children play and dinosaurs roam near Eden’s Rivers. The serpent coils cunningly in the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Majestic murals, great masterpieces brimming with pulsating colors and details, provide a backdrop for many of the settings.)

• Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 10:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can you post 'Bedouin Woman' one more time?I miss that ba*tard. So poignant! Wasn't the son suckling on the mother's teat at one point?You got some Stevens in ya, boy!

• Gajanan Mishra Silver Star - 5th Stage (10/1/2014 8:32:00 PM) Post reply

One who loves me, One who is in truth, One who is in Non-violence is my Father. Let me called him " Father"

• Dan Reynolds Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 7:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

When they say that " You can't polish a turd" , is there any scientific data to back it up?

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 2:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

when I have one through the Bible especially the book of Psalm and son of Solomon it tells 100% about the poetry of the love of God and man and when I read the book of Rig Veda a Hinduism it tells about the poetry of the spiritual and morality and when I read the book of Koran it tells about the poetry of the victory and the love of God. it seems every Religious book was begin from the Psychological Imagination of Poetry.

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 9:34:00 PM) Post reply

Finding enjoyment in reading the poetry of a devout christian(believing in christ's virgin birth, miracles, resurrection, and the holy trinity, etc.) is like taking seriously Thomas Jefferson's(slave owner) definition of human freedom, or excitedly reading Hitler's book, 'Finding The Right Final Solution To Your Everyday Problems'.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 11:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Monty the Mule sez, " Actually Adam Snow does do JC harm. Poets who write in a rhythm and rhyme style pose an existential threat to poets like JC. They know if the mainstream literary community begins to shift more toward formality as the preferred style (something that has never changed among general readers) it would render their flat, prosy narratives, not musical enough to be thought of as strong poetry. Everyone knows instinctively that's true. Its just a matter of the literary community admitting it again. It would save the craft of poetry, but of course put a lot of 'poets' out of business, so to speak, or at the very least compromise their reputations. That's why JC froths at the mouth in anger, and wildly dismisses the techniques of formal poetry when he is confronted by them. I understand his plight perfectly."

What mind-sewage! ! The majority of " general readers" have read nothing later than the Frost poems they were forced to encounter in high school. Those who " love" poetry may read Billy Collins, if anyone, an avatar of the plain-spoken. Formal poetry is dead, dead, dead. In the 90s, the " New Formalists" tried to revive the corpse but to no avail. The " mainstream" poetry community, if it exists at all, is now composed of MFAs and aspiring poets. Whatever new thing is coming down the poetry pike (and Monty the Mule should know this) won't be formal but strange, genre-bending and theory-driven.

Of course, not one of MM's comments above relates to Adam Snow, who hasn't even a nodding acquaintance with the " techniques of formal poetry." Adam's proud-as-punch doggerel isn't worth reading, much less seriously discussing.

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (10/2/2014 12:18:00 AM) Post reply

Don't take this personally, Adam, but Palmer will always encourage third rate poets(check his " critiques" in the poem section) . A mediocrity can never handle better work than his own, unl ... more

• Alexander Rizzo Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 10:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

cmon guys, look at mr carter's poem 'geneolgy', then look at that poem, 'piano'....'piano' blows carters poem out of the water, this isn't rocket science, some styles are jusr more lyrical than others ... more

• Adam M. Snow Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 7:54:00 PM) Post reply

I have to say, I do agree with Lamont. Every time someone post a formal poem like myself, you insult it.

• Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/30/2014 5:29:00 PM) Post reply

I write both styles of poetry: tradition ... more

• Jacqueline Nash Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 10:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A deeply touching but beautiful poem that tugs at the heart strings. I wonder sometimes, is it the happy times of the past we yearn for or is it really a yearning to be young again.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 11:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

True Ms. Nash, as D H lawarence was different, sometimes was poorly annotated.I like him more as a novelist.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 10:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Piano
    by D. H. Lawrence

Softly, in the dusk, a woman is singing to me;
    Taking me back down the vista of years, till I see
    A child sitting under the piano, in the boom of the tingling strings
    And pressing the small, poised feet of a mother who smiles as she sings.
    In spite of myself, the insidious mastery of song
    Betrays me back, till the heart of me weeps to belong
    To the old Sunday evenings at home, with winter outside
    And hymns in the cozy parlor, the tinkling piano our guide.
    So now it is vain for the singer to burst into clamor
    With the great black piano appassionato. The glamour
    Of childish days is upon me, my manhood is cast
    Down in the flood of remembrance,
    I weep like a child for the past.

• Adam M. Snow Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 11:24:00 PM) Post reply

This is truly a masterpiece

• Jacqueline Nash Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 10:53:00 AM) Post reply

A deeply touching but beautiful poem that tugs at the heart strings. I wonder sometimes, is it the happy times of the past we yearn for or is it really a yearning to be young again.

• Gajanan Mishra Silver Star - 5th Stage (9/30/2014 6:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Follow me not please. Search your own way of life here and go on your own way. I am no body to show you the road. Everywhere there is a way, see and start your journey as soon as possible.

To read all of 3 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]