Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Nicole Binder Rookie - 1st Stage (9/14/2014 8:59:00 PM) Post reply

Hello! I am in search of Maya Angelou reciting her poem " I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" ?I heard a snippet of it on the news but have no found the full version of here actually reciting it. Thanks for your help!

• Okunuga Olanreywaju Rookie - 1st Stage (9/14/2014 1:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Please everybody I need your comment about my poem am new in this website please encounrage me by reading my poem and tell me what you see

Replies for this message:
    • John Westlake Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/14/2014 11:55:00 PM) Post reply

I will be reading your work soon enough. Am wading through mountains, but I will reach you. Please be patient

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/13/2014 2:08:00 AM) Post reply

Dingleberry has taken away all the golden EGGs home...sad

• Tony Adah Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/13/2014 1:12:00 AM) Post reply

....a novice stepdancer practising his routine. I love this for it fits where I am. The young shall grow J C!

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/13/2014 12:45:00 AM) Post reply

Gulsher John (9/12/2014 9: 20: 00 PM) Post reply
    Yesterday I was reading an article about Free verse, by Y.S Omand, that poses a pondering question: what it is that 'determines the 'length - and nature '- of the poem's line or a verse?(as JC says.) in formal and in free verse as well. Is this be the pattern of syllables or rhythm or any linguistic compulsion?can we figure out this question with the established conventions?Franky 'frankly' phrased this as crappy..., don't know why?****

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/12/2014 2:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Poemhumpers, here's my 9/11 poem. It took me 13 years to write. I may have posted it here before. I think it's good. Enjoy (or not) .

THE FALLING MAN

The tower’s gray and white stripes
    like a corduroy curtain behind him,
    the man, dark-skinned, wearing
    a pale sports coat & black slacks,
    the man isn’t falling. I’ve superglued
    the photo upside-down to the inside
    of my closet door. He isn’t falling,
    one knee lifted, arms rigid, trapping
    the billowing skirts of his jacket
    against his sides. He’s anyone
    I can imagine. The father of many girls.
    An expert on the language of Greenland,
    which has no expletives. A novice stepdancer
    practicing his routine. Sometimes, when
    no one’s around, I open the closet door
    & say, “Good morning, Dancing Man.”

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/13/2014 11:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

JC, I enjoyed the poem, now, and the first couple of times I read it. Naturally the subject matter helps it along, as it quite deliberately plays on the emotions (not saying there's anything necessari ... more

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/13/2014 12:17:00 AM) Post reply

Why JC, you'r afraid of someone to open your closet when no one around? He is not 'anyone' he is 'THAT' particular man; Dark skinned. i read it so many times, indeed a hard nut to crack. Superbly cr ... more

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (9/12/2014 9:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I REALLY like this poem. Makes me sad though.

• Gajanan Mishra Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/12/2014 8:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A little faith,
    I have with me,
    Please come and
    take it, I am
    ready to deliver
    you at this time.
    A little faith
    That is with me
    is ready to
    go to you for
    the purpose of
    survival.
    Please come and
    see in you, the truth.

• Gajanan Mishra Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/12/2014 8:22:00 AM) Post reply

Here is the poem, come and read with a little faith. Come on and see yourself in this poem. Find the truth that is there in it. A day, a moment without poetry is beyond imagination. See the tree and the moon, the bird and the sky, they are there telling something to you. Come and hear, they are whispering. The leaf is falling, the flower is blooming. It is the area of poems. Yes, you are here, with the wind and water. You are here on this earth. Come and read a poem relating to your own roots. Come and show your own light here. That is the poem. Study yourself staying within.

• Mohammad Skati Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/12/2014 8:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Paraphrasing poems is a good job, so we can individually or collectively paraphrase a certain poem or a certain poet. Thanks.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/11/2014 10:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read a poem " The sole witness" in poemhunter.com. written by the poetess Valsa George which is marvelous in its creativity of nature. The close observation experienced by the writer is beautifully made the poem and wonderful words in such fantastic lines I really felt. That" Whether the wind ruffles the leaves of trees The mother plant in lexuriant follage s stands proud. And also the poem continues A dandy butterfly filling down To kiss those regal beauties like a besotted lover....In fact I liked the poem much.

[Hata Bildir]