Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• delilah contrapunctal Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 1:07:00 PM) Post reply

the forum has vanished...wth??

• Shifty Moriarty Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 12:07:00 PM) Post reply

i could
    have
    been
    a
    contender
    know
    what
    i mean
    harry

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 10:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

The Boxer

I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told
    I've squandered my resistance
    For a pocketful of mumbles
    Such are promises
    All lies and jest
    Still the man hears what he wants to hear
    And disregards the rest

When I left my home and my family
    I was no more than a boy
    In the company of strangers
    In the quiet of the railway station, runnin' scared
    Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters
    Where the ragged people go
    Looking for the places only they would know

Lie-la-lie
    Lie-la-lie-la-la-la-lie
    La-la-lie-la-lie

Asking only workman's wages
    I come lookin' for a job but I get no offers
    Just a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue
    I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
    I took some comfort there

Lie-la-lie
    Lie-la-lie-la-la-la-lie
    La-la-lie-la-lie

And I'm laying out my winter clothes
    And wishing I was gone, goin' home
    Where the New York City winters aren't bleedin' me
    Leadin' me, goin' home

In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade
    And he carries the reminders
    Of every glove that laid him down or cut him
    'Til he cried out in his anger and his shame
    I am leaving, I am leaving
    But the fighter still remains

Lie-la-lie
    Lie-la-lie-la-la-la-lie
    La-la-lie-la-lie

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Songwriters
    SIMON, PAUL

Replies for this message:
    • Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 4:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I disagree. I think the piece IS poetry/verse, and it doesn't need the melody to make it work. The melody (which is great btw) makes it better, but it works on it's own as well. Think if Simon had wr ... more

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 1:40:00 PM) Post reply

These are called song lyrics—they are NOT verse because they depend on a tune for their fullest expression.

• Soulful Heart Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 9:35:00 AM) Post reply

well I am sure everybody wrote poems when they were kids....so reading my poems if you remember your own childhood poems and it brings a shy smile on your face then I have achieved my purpose.....as you see smiles straight from heart are rare nowadays....now do I remind you the poem'Once upon a time' of Gabriel okara?

• Alice Vedral Rivera Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 9:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Anyone else disturbed by having a video with their poem read by an automated voice with an ad after the first couple of lines interrupting the 'reading' on their PH page? I find it creepy and disrespectful. It was bad enough when the video just had music and the printed words (the music did not always go with the poem but at least there was no ad) . I just checked in on one of my poems and was unpleasantly surprised by this. I, as the writer of said poetry, was not notified of this and did not expressly give my permission for this nor do I get any compensation. I'm sure that somewhere in the PH fine print they have covered themselves legally, but I find this very, very, very disheartening especially since PH doesn't allow me to post links to promote my own work in ways that I deem appropriate.

• Alice Vedral Rivera Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 9:54:00 AM) Post reply

There is an ad now even on the videos with music. Evidently, I am promoting Demi Lovato - NOT. I might promote her if she recorded one of the songs my cousin & I collaborated on.. Plus some of my po ... more

• Dan Reynolds Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 9:48:00 AM) Post reply

Alice, I noticed that they (PH) are looking for volunteers to recite the members poems. I'm hopeful that some of my poems may be recited by a 97 year old Tibetan monk with a lisp and a stammer.

• Stan Petrovich Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 8:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am wondering how to become an active member of your tidying-up club, insofar as reaming out these third language (English) pat-on-the-backers. Need I purchase your book?But the site is free, so I assume what I put down here is as well.

Here is statistic I find to hold up rather well: 9 of 10 of these poets are just in it to glorify themselves, to fish for votes among each other. They write to me: " Please read and rate my poem..." : It is such a scam that way. They, in turn, are guilty of such misdemeanors, and wallow in pumping up the ratings that are supplied by this miserable site.

I am happy that at least you write with an indifference to others (or so it seems on the surface; but really no one can do that, can one?) .

Inform me what action I could possibly take. please; and salaam to you, dear sir.

• Dan Reynolds Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 7:34:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I say, how tickled high ham. What a beatiful day for visiting dead poets pages and leaving a comment like.
    " You show some promise, but the archaic language lets you down. Try to read some good contemporary poets and expand your thoughts without the restriction of form."
    What manner of trivial things have you done today, to satisfy your inner imp?

• delilah contrapunctal Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 9:11:00 AM) Post reply

my inner imp and outer imp are one, as neither wants to miss out on the fun...']) might eschewing all traces/restrictions of form leave one floundering/maundering, bereft of gorm?

• Adam M. Snow Rookie - 1st Stage (9/23/2014 12:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I Wait for Thee
    Written by Adam M. Snow

In stillness - I wait for thee.
    When time beat still - I wait for thee.
    When my troubles are great
    and burdens my heart;
    if my voice would leave me astray,
    still this day - I wait for thee.
    When sickness strickens me,
    bedridden and weak - I wait for thee.
    Through many quaint of restless nights - I wait for thee.
    When I'm old and wizened, and my memories flee,
    still my Lord, I wait for thee.
    In a crowd of many or by my lonesome self - I wait for thee.
    And in my travels through misery,
    when the world has grown so dark;
    in my days of ridicule, my faith on trial,
    I, your bondservant will wait for thee.
    And in my final hour with my final breath - I wait for thee.
    With every hour of my life, from now till then - I wait for thee.
    I wait for thee O Lord - I wait for thee.
    Even in my darkened days - I wait for thee.

• Shifty Moriarty Rookie - 1st Stage (9/22/2014 11:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

the
    solution
    to
    bad
    art
    is
    no
    art

• John Westlake Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/22/2014 4:51:00 PM) Post reply

Must disagree here. The solution to bad art is improvement. Then it can be altered into better

• Melikhaya Zagagana Rookie - 1st Stage (9/22/2014 12:56:00 PM) Post reply

Bad art is still art, let us not be lazy to work that bad into good and thats the difference; it comes at expense of time and thought invested to it.

• Melikhaya Zagagana Rookie - 1st Stage (9/21/2014 10:45:00 AM) Post reply

Heyyyyyyyyyyy! been all along freezing in the lounge and missing out some nice action; I have nothing to say let me be and not spoil the fun. Let me stand by and think what i know about a situation like this. This is all fun to me fun! fun! fun! fun! you guys are really good entertainers keep up the good work.

[Hata Bildir]