Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Mike Acker (8/1/2014 8:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Oriental Man(revised) as reply......

Replies for this message:
    • Mike Acker (8/1/2014 8:48:00 PM) Post reply

Oriental Man The monotony of these mountains seems to block in the green of this landscape, whose bored shores, still reeling from the touch of totalitarian tsunamis of yesteryear, accept dec ... more

• Alexander Rizzo (8/1/2014 6:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

discussing poetry civilly is what this site is about, my good men

• Sean North (8/1/2014 12:35:00 PM) Post reply

have fun want curs... thats the kind you luve best tis'nt tit..tis it... pen n papers becon, butt you keep wirte on playinwith yourself i reckon... see ya in ohh..never...good luck n stuff

• Professor Plum (8/1/2014 11:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Jeff, I meant the post as a compliment. Do you expect me to say the poem is a " great piece of literature" ?I mean, we're not exactly plumbing the depths of the human soul now are we (any of us) ?Okay, maybe it's somewhere in between, sorry. Once someone called you the Billy Collins of the west coast, and I think that's pretty accurate. The slight difference is, Collins has quite a bit of atmosphere in his poems. Your choice to use that " plain style" doesn't lend itself to much atmosphere at all. It's like a guy at work at the water cooler telling you a story about what happened last night. It's funny and very interesting, but I wouldn't call it a " great poem" .

God! Did I just question the great JC?Oh, sh*t.

• Jefferson Carter (8/1/2014 6:17:00 PM) Post reply

No problemo, Prof. I can take it! I like your guy at the water cooler analogy. JC

• Alexander Rizzo (8/1/2014 6:03:00 PM) Post reply

i'd say the good prof has more complexity in his work than Collins, but Collins has more rhythm, more richness. 'rich' is not a word you would use to describe carters work. mr carter's plain style is ... more

• Lamont Palmer (8/1/2014 1:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

'To deal only in punning wit indicates an essential falsehood in the poet’s view of his art, as though language were only interesting when it is defective, never when it is a tool of discovery. It is ... more

• James Timothy Jarrett (8/1/2014 10:25:00 AM) Post reply

I told you that I would fight nice JC. I have found in my travels that poets and writers seem to be the only people who can transcend the normal boundaries in life. Instead of politics or party we speak the common language of the soul.Whether we stop and listen, in the end, is up to us. This is pretty much a public forum apology to JC for all the times I went out of my way to be as rude and abusive towards him as I could and imply that none of his work had merit. Enough said.

• James Timothy Jarrett (8/1/2014 10:11:00 AM) Post reply

Clang association: " In psychology and psychiatry, clanging is a form of speech pattern where thinking is driven by word sounds. For example, rhyming or alliteration may lead to the appearance of logical connections where none in fact exists. This, just one manifestation amongst a more general spectrum of thought disorders, is associated with the irregular thinking apparent in psychotic mental illnesses, e.g schizophrenia. " Ever wonder what is wrong with poets?Really, think about it....

• Tim Dolan (8/1/2014 3:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Reason! withdraw your autonomous eudonism,
    ( belief settles )
    dance on narrow spires,
    conspired by the endless orgasm of sunrise

Hold HEART
    purpose glimmers as the poker face ____________.
    cradle not that will not live
    forgive misery and the long lone line that shall lead away

Keep climbers at bay with flight
    drone sun on cold concrete,
    price obscures worth, not enough
    passion remains. and I fight

abide my resolution
    will not return, constituted
    tempt not, kindness, persistence! and fear
    I here, am PRESENT

Inertia bow please
    chance
    and hope and the beating of drums

if there is more
    I will find it in you

• Alexander Rizzo (8/1/2014 6:17:00 PM) Post reply

see the diff between real wordplay and mr carters cute, funny stories?i'm not saying this is a great poem, but definitely the tools this poet uses can lead to greatness

• Frank Ovid (8/1/2014 10:23:00 AM) Post reply

Nice!

• Gulsher John (8/1/2014 12:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The phantasms
    of my filthy fancies
    breeding,
    an exquisite boredom; and
    this monotony,
    when tunes,
    swabs all the vivacities
    and
    screws up my art.

• Professor Plum (8/1/2014 12:24:00 PM) Post reply

This poem is growing on me. Creepy, that thing about " swabbing something" . I like it.

• Jefferson Carter (7/31/2014 8:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Despite management's prissiness about dirty words, sometimes, as a poet, you just gotta use them. For example, this new poem, which I'll delete after a few hours (unless management does it first) gave me a hell of a time; in the second line, I tried sonofabitch, but that seemed too mild. I tried " than a two-bit whore, " which seemed unnecessarily sexist and harsher than I wanted. The solution? Talk like Miles, who used mf all the time. Voila! Perfect!

CHAIR-DANCE

I blame “Bitches Brew, ” the live version,
    Miles selling out quicker than a motherfucker
    to the rock crowd & its love of noise.

After four beers, I steer out of the parking garage,
    chair-dancing to what the liner notes call
    “extraterrestrial Dixieland” & somehow run

a stop sign. At least that’s what the motorcycle cop
    tells me as I hand him my driver’s license.
    He looks about thirteen, his little face peering out
    from under the visor of the gold helmet.

I’m glad my wife never uses clichés, never says
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade
    or every cloud has a silver lining.

She does believe young cops target old drivers,
    an ageist conspiracy that needs exposing.
    She got a speeding ticket last week
    & swears the traffic cop wore his cap backwards.

But every cloud has a silver lining.
    We’ll attend Defensive Driving School, bonding
    together as all us oldies raise our hands
    when the instructor asks, “How many of you
    here consider yourselves excellent drivers?”

• Mike Acker (8/1/2014 2:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Personally, I believe it takes great talent to blend a certain type of dry humor with well-written poetry, without diminishing a poem's deeper meaning. The message(aging sucks! ?) is still relayed i ... more

• Kyle Schlicher (8/1/2014 8:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I understand their concern but I agree with you on the use of the " right " word. If used appropriately it just makes the statement one needs to make. Occasionally, I use dirty words if the ... more

• Professor Plum (7/31/2014 8:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Any time the author uses an '&' instead of 'and' I mistrust the poem.....I'M KIDDING! Humor. Irony. Cute story. That's Jefferson! (were you smoking a joint too?because that explains the stop sign.)

• Jefferson Carter (7/31/2014 6:05:00 PM) Post reply

Well, I'll be hornswaggled (as we say in Arizona) ! ! Management has deleted Thripp's putrid wallpaper! Congrats, managers, for doing your job! !

[Hata Bildir]