Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Jefferson Carter (7/25/2014 11:31:00 AM) Post reply

Here's " Metamorphosis, " the poem Tony Adah asked (below) Adam Snow to read and enjoy. " Away fritter, " " Bestowed with a bait, " " Deactivate from..., " " men's heart, " " truncate my metamorphosis, " man, oh, man, those are some truly goofy phrases, best explained by Tony's acquaintance with English as a second language? As I've asked non-native English speakers over and over, why, if English is your second language, do you insist on using it to compose incompetent verse? Write poetry in your first language, find a good EFL poet to help you translate, and then, maybe, just maybe, you'll have a competent poem. It's tough enough to write a good poem in one's first language. That is, if you think of poetry as an art form, not a species of masturbation.

I am out of the cocoon,
    I will not away fritter this chance-
    Bestowed with a bait on my pen
    And my means to cartharsis
    I will be strong here
    Deactivate from a fledgling bard
    Thence a Muse of poetry
    I am a scion of the great Muses
    I am moving heavenward
    To touch the face of the great ones
    Here my voice
    Will calcify men's heart
    Over hills And valleys.
    And no growl
    From older lions will
    Ever truncate my metamorphosis
    On this platform
    I suppose a lion's den!

• Jefferson Carter (7/25/2014 11:20:00 AM) Post reply

Poemhumpers, management removed one of my observations about Thripp Dick. Amazing! Here's someone who spreads all over this site his paranoid toxins about Planned Parenthood, Maya Angelou, etc., and then gets upset about my reasoned responses! I suggest we all contact management the next time Thripp Dick stains these pages and ask them to remove his poison.

Adam (Lamont?) , funny response! I love your satires of a callow youth pretending to care about poetry. Just for a moment, assuming you're NOT a persona, I'll ask you, where did I define POETRY?I defined verse, not poetry. You need to read better than you write.

Again (I'm still pretending you're a real person) , your definition of poetry (and Tony Adah's definition too) sounds lewd, as if writing is a kind of masturbation for you, you know, relieving all that sexual/emotional pressure with your pencil instead of your hand. Adam (Lamont?) , yer so deliciously filthy! ! !

• Richard Thripp (7/25/2014 10:47:00 AM) Post reply

I request that you REMOVE a Poem Hunter member who's known as Jefferson Carter from this venue for the threatening comments that he has directed at me:

Replies for this message:

Jefferson Carter (7/24/2014 11: 07: 00 AM) Post reply

Thripp Dick, yer a poisonous toad. here's a thought you might want to consider: one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Go spread your toxins somewhere else.

Jefferson Carter (7/24/2014 11: 09: 00 AM) Post reply

Yep, Thripp Dick, you's a idiot from the git-go, a bonehead fer life. Shut the F up!

Jefferson Carter (7/18/2014 2: 43: 00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    Thripp-dip, spoken like a true wack-job. It's not the government per se that's poisoning the environment, it's big business and their cronies in Congress. " Irreligious" ?WTF is that?Someone who's not a raving Christian fundamentalist/American Taliban?The kids are illiterate, yes. But being religious is a problem, not a cure.

• Professor Plum (7/25/2014 10:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Okay folks, here's my quarterly 'List of Best Poets and Versifiers on the Discussion Board'. Remember, I don't have time to read everything of everybody's stuff, so if you're not on here this time don't fret, you may be on next quarter.
    For some reason, this time I counted quantity as well as quality (I can do this, it's MY list) , and I did it because I like to see YOUR poetry on this page. Gets me going in the morning, and I mean this literally in some cases. Yep, a cup of coffee and a Richard Thripp post does it for me every time.
    For the movies, summer time is the 'Blockbuster Season' and there's no difference here in poetry land. Next quarter we get the serious 'Oscar' contenders, but this quarter we get explosions and massive climaxes (my apologies to Bluebird for this last statement, if she's still around) .

The Summer Blockbuster Best List:
    5. Adam Snow- Let's face it, this guy has the rhythm of Gene Kelly, and if someone would get him a thesaurus for Christmas, he might move up to number one some day.
    4. Mike Acker- Considering quantity as well as quality, this guy's cream is rising to the top faster than Secretariat. Slowly (and I mean SLOWLY) getting better every day. Remember, he's only been writing poetry for two years (I think Keats was dead after two years of writing poetry) .
    3. Richard Thripp- Who incorporates mean, backstabbing, and violent politics into his writing better than Thripp?Nobody, but this is blockbuster season, remember?
    2. Jefferson Carter/Lamont Palmer- Tie. Period. Both are among my favorites at what they do. Jeff moves up on the strength of his recent poems 'An Apology to Wannabes', etc., and Palmer is just as solid as he always has been. Plus, I like to leave them 'tied' because it aggravates Carter.
    1. Madolyn Orwhatever- A fresh breath of countrified air. Cow pastures. Horse stalls. Funny and prolific. This chick has TONS of poems (quantity) and many are very good. The Blockbuster Season number one!

Don't worry if you're not here, but post some more poems so I can wake up in the morning! Maybe in the fall you'll find yourself in Oscar contention.

• Mandolyn ... (7/25/2014 11:09:00 AM) Post reply

you are too kind professor plum :) my brain goes midnight cow tipping quite often~ btw, it was miss scarlett in the library with a wrench.

• Sean North (7/25/2014 6:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

as hALL WaYs KiDs, mY ThAnKs EcHo...DoWn yOur WaLLs... u nose who u b, , , , , , zzz thnksnthnx...

a quickish ps: like any good WeIrD scientist, examining a space case, one heads
    to the observertory?and observe's, being most carefull of not slopping ones
    personal bias into true science, were only by reproduceing the same
    result with the same material is claimed as the science of science?
    tho xplAiNed In bACkYaRd MEcHaNicS,
    aNd AS alUSIonEd @ bY ThE GrEat ScIenTest you DO kNOW
    anything repeated the same way repeatedly is well mad ness ses...??
    So I dO Er On SLiDe Of CaUitIon WheN rEfreNcing ThiS GuiDe tO
    thE WeIrd ScIenCes Of GaL X c

and as beingthat i'm also a being as beings are being beings are being

so inconsitant and fickle.... well yeah..please i do try and dont have anything personal
    find its way in and blow the thesis... i do WeIRd science..not keep a diary
    or if i did it would be to burn at leasure..Thanks n njoy..hope
    this clears up your wish to see in my head with those tierd old tried
    old gasses... like now u know. me.or sum shizzle makes ya vIcArIuS
    FlY To ClOse To ThE Sun, n the HOLe GrrrEEK squad cant fix ya..

luv you, so i can...enjoy or dont.....

• Sean North (7/25/2014 9:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i fleshed out above on my page to save the edache...but got won 1 done...... hope the punctuation is like an apple 4 teach a...enjoy

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (7/24/2014 9:39:00 PM) Post reply

Famous Blue Raincoat

Leonard Cohen

It's four in the morning, the end of december
    I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
    New york is cold, but I like where I'm living
    There's music on clinton street all through the evening.

I hear that you're building your little house deep in the desert
    You're living for nothing now, I hope you're keeping some kind of record.

Yes, and jane came by with a lock of your hair
    She said that you gave it to her
    That night that you planned to go clear
    Did you ever go clear?

Ah, the last time we saw you you looked so much older
    Your famous blue raincoat was torn at the shoulder
    You'd been to the station to meet every train
    And you came home without lili marlene

And you treated my woman to a flake of your life
    And when she came back she was nobody's wife.

Well I see you there with the rose in your teeth
    One more thin gypsy thief
    Well I see jane's awake -

She sends her regards.
    And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
    What can I possibly say?
    I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you
    I'm glad you stood in my way.

If you ever come by here, for jane or for me
    Your enemy is sleeping, and his woman is free.

Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
    I thought it was there for good so I never tried.

And jane came by with a lock of your hair
    She said that you gave it to her
    That night that you planned to go clear

- sincerely, l. cohen

For those who really read poetry, what are your thoughts on Gerald Stern?

• Mandolyn ... (7/24/2014 9:18:00 PM) Post reply

Why can't everyone just love everyone!
    We are all mixed nuts in a big fat can from Costco
    near the back of the shelf nobody has touched since 2002.
    Do we expire?
    HELL NO!

Group hug. Now.
    Do it fools!

• Adam M. Snow (7/24/2014 8:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Carter, you say that you have no definition for poety. A true poet has their own definition of what poetry means. To me, poetry means an expression to free oneself emotionally and physically. It's where you can take your emotions and pour them out and bring peace to your physical being. You say you have no definition for poety, yet you gave a definition. Is that the definition from the dictionary you gave?If that's that case, have you not seen 'Dead Poet Society?' In it, they ripped the page that had the definition of poetry out of their textbook and threw that page away. Why?Because no textbook could tell you what poetry truly mean but you. If you can't find your definition for poety, then you are not a true poet. In order to be a poet, you first need to understand what poetry means to you. I know what poetry means to me, it's obvious you don't know what poetry means to yourself and therefore you are not a true poet.

• Tony Adah (7/24/2014 10:42:00 PM) Post reply

Snow, I have had my own encounter with this megalomaniac called Carter. He thinks he should be the only cock to crow here. The sole provider of ground rules! I know how most times poetry unburdens my ... more

• Tony Adah (7/24/2014 10:42:00 PM) Post reply

Snow, I have had my own encounter with this megalomaniac called Carter. He thinks he should be the only cock to crow here. The sole provider of ground rules! I know how most times poetry unburdens my ... more

• Tony Adah (7/24/2014 10:38:00 PM) Post reply

• Frank Ovid (7/24/2014 9:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I wonder what would happen if Thripp and ... more

• Richard Thripp (7/23/2014 10:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'Poetess' Maya Angelou NEVER denounced convicted child murderer Winnie Mandela, nor did Maya Angelou remove her support for terrorist Nelson Mandela whose organization specialized in bombing railway stations & open-air markets. Indeed, Amnesty International NEVER petitioned for Nelson Mandela's release as Mandela (who pled guilty to 156 acts of public violence) refused to denounce the mindless bomb attacks against families that his organization [Umkhonto we Sizwe ~ abbreviated as M.K., Zulu for " Spear of the Nation" ] practiced.

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Jefferson Carter (7/23/2014 1:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Gulsher, the noun " poetics" simply means the study of verse. The adjective " poetic" (musical, profound, etc.) is the one we need to focus on. If the noun " poetry" means something wonderful, which it does in every definition I've ever read, then there's no such thing as BAD poetry. That's why the neutral term " verse" is much more useful for discussions of artistic quality. Saying Adam Snow's writing is bad VERSE makes a lot more sense than Adam Snow's writing is not POETRY. It is poetry, just really poor poetry. Lamont is horrified, thinking I believe any text chopped into lines is poetry; I believe any text chopped into lines is verse. Whether it's poetic verse or not is another matter. Clarifying these terms seems crucial to me; Lamont thinks saying THAT IS POETRY is actually saying something meaningful; it's not.

• Professor Plum (7/24/2014 11:45:00 AM) Post reply

Just to show what a sticky concept it is, Dr. Carter contradicts himself when he says, " ...It is poetry, just really poor poetry." I thought you just said that poetry was (only) " mus ... more

• Tony Adah (7/24/2014 11:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jefferson, mine is to know if one can from your definition of poetry And the derived conclusion of 'no such thing as bad poetry' say so for a poem? I will be glad to have you talk on this.

[Hata Bildir]