Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Mike Acker (4/19/2014 11:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sunset...

Replies for this message:
    • Mike Acker (4/19/2014 11:50:00 AM) Post reply

Sunset The man in the blue shirt, the yellow pants and black shoes, the one who carries his heart in his left hand, crossed the steel bridge at sunset. He could barely see his shadow. O ... more

• Mike Acker (4/19/2014 11:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Low as reply....

• Mike Acker (4/19/2014 11:43:00 AM) Post reply

Low The wind made its presence known by rustling the top branches sending shivers through their leaves. It marked its territory, up there. " You are low" , I heard it blow. Y ... more

• Frank Ovid (4/19/2014 10:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Let's not all grovel with...(fecal) underpinnings?Myself is your {other} self. I am him...(?) I will NOT tolerate your insubordinate whispering....Such as it (is) ! Oh, lawdy-lawdy!

-Confucius (475 BC, after consuming a particularly rancid piece of apple pie)

• Frank Ovid (4/19/2014 10:35:00 AM) Post reply

Oops. Never mind. I'll just go back down to the Workshop.

• delilah contrapunctal (4/18/2014 11:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

do not try to hitch a horse to these meandering posts......though anvil-like by nature they just do not seem to stay anchored.....'])

• Jefferson Carter (4/18/2014 9:47:00 PM) Post reply

Lamont keeps saying I write non-musical short stories, meaning, I'd guess, I like anecdotes and choose to use colloquial diction, the language humans actually speak every day, but try to heighten it with line breaks and the subtle rhythms already present in any order of words. That's the challenge that interests me. " Recently, I was asked what I thought of a local poet's reading, someone who has won prizes, and I realized how much I disliked the clotted, bombastic nature of her poetry. That's exactly what I think of Lamont's poetic efforts: in his stubborn attempt to write " blank" verse, unrhymed iambic pentameter, or just heavily iambic verse, he comes up with sound that is both curdled and blustering. His ear is pure tin; his ambition unrelenting. He does, I admit, care passionately about his own work. If only he'd read a book on poetics, say, Paul Fussell's " Poetic Meter and Poetic Form, " and broaden his poetic horizons instead of relying on the poetics he half-learned in Freshman Literature.

• delilah contrapunctal (4/18/2014 12:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

looks like we'll have to continue to put up with the many faces of Evil Knaidel.....making us witnesses to the vivisection....
    wondering if each of the personas has its own room on the ward.....and gets the family discount....

• Frank Ovid (4/18/2014 8:23:00 AM) Post reply

I think I'll go back down to the Rhythm and Rhyme Workshop for awhile. It'll be fun down there. Rhyming and.... Rhythm-ing all of the time. You win (again) . I'm going to keep reading your poems thoug ... more

• Frank Ovid (4/17/2014 11:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Acker, if you do come with me I want you to know it won't be easy. It won't be this " Poetry Summer Camp" like it is with Carter. You're going to work. I'm going to work you like a dog. You will learn your poetry. There's going to be times when you're going to be on your knees. You'll be sweaty. You'll be tired. But you'll keep going. And going. And going. Don't worry, you'll love it (knowing you) . You know why I'm doing this for you?Because I love you, you big galoot! You're a damn good poet. I see the promise in you. You're Mike (friggin') Acker.! ! I used to be YOU! Young. Vibrant. Naive. Kind of stupid. No, I'm kidding, I really relate to you when I was your age. I love you...and the money making possibilities we could achieve together. Message me you hunk-a-hunk-a-burnin' love!

• Jefferson Carter (4/17/2014 3:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's a nice poem from the often great Charles Simic,

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 5:36:00 PM) Post reply

You forgot the poem, JC. In the meantime, here is one of my favourites of his... A Book Full of Pictures Father studied theology through the mail And this was exam time. Mother knitted. I s ... more

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 12:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Will try to abide again.....

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 5:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The Keepers When baby strollers were coffins, when gray matter stuck to the trees like wet cotton balls. They continued with what they do. Those who ate ate. Those who slept slept. Tho ... more

• Frank Ovid (4/17/2014 1:08:00 PM) Post reply

Wow! Excellent. Shocking, enigmatic, nice little rhymes. What's not to like?Your best by far.

• Mike Acker (4/17/2014 12:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

My Brother's Keeper When the children were torn apart, And the body parts were thrown out. When light-colored human matter hung on walls like wet cotton balls. They continued with what they ... more

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (4/16/2014 11:55:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Kids! How's every little ol' thing?Any good poems being shared?I'll peruse for a spell. TTYL.

[Hata Bildir]