Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (7/24/2014 9:39:00 PM) Post reply

Famous Blue Raincoat

Leonard Cohen

It's four in the morning, the end of december
    I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
    New york is cold, but I like where I'm living
    There's music on clinton street all through the evening.

I hear that you're building your little house deep in the desert
    You're living for nothing now, I hope you're keeping some kind of record.

Yes, and jane came by with a lock of your hair
    She said that you gave it to her
    That night that you planned to go clear
    Did you ever go clear?

Ah, the last time we saw you you looked so much older
    Your famous blue raincoat was torn at the shoulder
    You'd been to the station to meet every train
    And you came home without lili marlene

And you treated my woman to a flake of your life
    And when she came back she was nobody's wife.

Well I see you there with the rose in your teeth
    One more thin gypsy thief
    Well I see jane's awake -

She sends her regards.
    And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
    What can I possibly say?
    I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you
    I'm glad you stood in my way.

If you ever come by here, for jane or for me
    Your enemy is sleeping, and his woman is free.

Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
    I thought it was there for good so I never tried.

And jane came by with a lock of your hair
    She said that you gave it to her
    That night that you planned to go clear

- sincerely, l. cohen

For those who really read poetry, what are your thoughts on Gerald Stern?

• Mandolyn ... (7/24/2014 9:18:00 PM) Post reply

Why can't everyone just love everyone!
    We are all mixed nuts in a big fat can from Costco
    near the back of the shelf nobody has touched since 2002.
    Do we expire?
    HELL NO!

Group hug. Now.
    Do it fools!

• Adam M. Snow (7/24/2014 8:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Carter, you say that you have no definition for poety. A true poet has their own definition of what poetry means. To me, poetry means an expression to free oneself emotionally and physically. It's where you can take your emotions and pour them out and bring peace to your physical being. You say you have no definition for poety, yet you gave a definition. Is that the definition from the dictionary you gave?If that's that case, have you not seen 'Dead Poet Society?' In it, they ripped the page that had the definition of poetry out of their textbook and threw that page away. Why?Because no textbook could tell you what poetry truly mean but you. If you can't find your definition for poety, then you are not a true poet. In order to be a poet, you first need to understand what poetry means to you. I know what poetry means to me, it's obvious you don't know what poetry means to yourself and therefore you are not a true poet.

Replies for this message:
    • Tony Adah (7/24/2014 10:42:00 PM) Post reply

Snow, I have had my own encounter with this megalomaniac called Carter. He thinks he should be the only cock to crow here. The sole provider of ground rules! I know how most times poetry unburdens my ... more

• Tony Adah (7/24/2014 10:42:00 PM) Post reply

Snow, I have had my own encounter with this megalomaniac called Carter. He thinks he should be the only cock to crow here. The sole provider of ground rules! I know how most times poetry unburdens my ... more

• Tony Adah (7/24/2014 10:38:00 PM) Post reply

• Frank Ovid (7/24/2014 9:27:00 PM) Post reply

I wonder what would happen if Thripp and ... more

• Richard Thripp (7/23/2014 10:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'Poetess' Maya Angelou NEVER denounced convicted child murderer Winnie Mandela, nor did Maya Angelou remove her support for terrorist Nelson Mandela whose organization specialized in bombing railway stations & open-air markets. Indeed, Amnesty International NEVER petitioned for Nelson Mandela's release as Mandela (who pled guilty to 156 acts of public violence) refused to denounce the mindless bomb attacks against families that his organization [Umkhonto we Sizwe ~ abbreviated as M.K., Zulu for " Spear of the Nation" ] practiced.

• Jefferson Carter (7/24/2014 11:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thripp Dick, yer a poisonous toad. here's a thought you might want to consider: one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Go spread your toxins somewhere else.

• Jefferson Carter (7/23/2014 1:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Gulsher, the noun " poetics" simply means the study of verse. The adjective " poetic" (musical, profound, etc.) is the one we need to focus on. If the noun " poetry" means something wonderful, which it does in every definition I've ever read, then there's no such thing as BAD poetry. That's why the neutral term " verse" is much more useful for discussions of artistic quality. Saying Adam Snow's writing is bad VERSE makes a lot more sense than Adam Snow's writing is not POETRY. It is poetry, just really poor poetry. Lamont is horrified, thinking I believe any text chopped into lines is poetry; I believe any text chopped into lines is verse. Whether it's poetic verse or not is another matter. Clarifying these terms seems crucial to me; Lamont thinks saying THAT IS POETRY is actually saying something meaningful; it's not.

• Professor Plum (7/24/2014 11:45:00 AM) Post reply

Just to show what a sticky concept it is, Dr. Carter contradicts himself when he says, " ...It is poetry, just really poor poetry." I thought you just said that poetry was (only) " mus ... more

• Tony Adah (7/24/2014 11:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jefferson, mine is to know if one can from your definition of poetry And the derived conclusion of 'no such thing as bad poetry' say so for a poem? I will be glad to have you talk on this.

• Jefferson Carter (7/23/2014 11:28:00 AM) Post reply

Poemhumpers, looks like Colin removed his ad for his new " book" of poems. I didn't mean to be overly harsh in my post about it (below) , but self-publishing truly has ruined the chances for good poets to find enthusiastic customers. I realize how lucky I am to have an editor (Charles Alexander of Chax Press; check out his website at chax.org) for " Get Serious, " my new and selected, but I'd never self-publish my work. It's just too bush league.

" Colin, I read some of your posted poems. They're not very good. Here's the problem with e-publishing one's own work—there's no editor to judge the quality of one's poems, just the poet's own biased ego. Everyone has a book out now; that's why you'll see the look of terror in your potential customer's eyes when you say " Hey, I got a book of poetry for sale...." The spread of self-publishing has just made it tougher for good poets to sell their books. Oh, well, I suppose unfounded self-esteem is better than well-founded self-hate?"

• Jefferson Carter (7/22/2014 3:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Here's Lamont being an unbiased, thoughtful critic: " Your silly, lazy, and shamelessly self-serving definition of poetry (everything's a poem if its broken up into lines) is rejected by most poets in practice, even if not in theory." Most poets I know get gassy when defining poetry, and NO ONE has ever devised a widely-accepted definition. When I beat that dead horse of prose/poetry, I'm trying to clear away some theoretical underbrush, so I'll never have to hear another poet/critic say, THAT isn't poetry.
    Everything is VERSE if it's broken into lines; otherwise, it's prose. Simple, eh? Lamont insists on confusing the neutral noun " poetry" with the approving adjective " poetic"
    and the neutral noun " prose" with the derogatory adjective " prosaic." What a mess. AND, I'd like to add, anyone who can something poetic in Adam Snow's verse should finish that GED he abandoned years ago.

• Gulsher John (7/22/2014 10:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Actually the concept of line breaking, verse and these two pregnant WORDs- poetry and poetics-are causing lil bit confusion for most of us(even myself, before intimacy with Mr Carter's writings) uns ... more

• Professor Plum (7/22/2014 7:34:00 PM) Post reply

Let's go ahead and put this to rest. No one is arguing " verse" and " prose" . It's the terms " poetic" or " poetry" that are causing the ruffle. What makes for ... more

• Co The Skipper (7/22/2014 12:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

there is a problem
    i don't know which problem it is
    but that makes it even bigger
    there is a problem
    there is a problem
    i must play

• Mandolyn ... (7/24/2014 9:20:00 PM) Post reply

i think you need some ointment maybe? try some aloe vera- that always works. and if that doesn't work just buy some Ben and jerrys cinnamon bun ice cream- that fixes everything

• Paul Tubb (7/22/2014 8:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Good Afternoon All,

The Dog of Edward Aloysius Grey
    Was feeling rather bored one day...

The Sun is shining in Dublin, and that is all needs to be said...

Paul...

• Mike Acker (7/21/2014 10:31:00 PM) Post reply

Sunday Morning

Sunday morning, a time once reserved
    for choosing paths, reading signs, and mis-
    interpreting ancient thoughts, now just
    another morning for contemplating
    endless space. All sign-posts and markings
    no longer point. One charts courses on non-
    existent roads, which just yesterday were
    strewn with bread and red, cheap wine. Why north,
    now leads straight to south, and back again.
    East and west have gone into mists eternal
    and yet return. Its time for claustrophobia
    to envelope ever since the dimensions
    have collapsed one upon the other,
    even if only in imaginary minds.

.......Sunday morning, still the same, reserved
    for going nowhere in particular, with no-one.

Mike Acker

[Hata Bildir]